PDA

View Full Version : Sun Shade for Beach?

hillview
07-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi all,
We are doing a family trip to Nantucket our family has 2 kids (1 year old and 2 month old) and 6 adults (including my mom who has to stay out of the sun). Wondering what we should do for potential beach sun shade. We have umbrellas rented. Should we get one of the pop up tents?
help!
thanks,
/hillary

Beth568
07-18-2006, 01:24 PM
If you need to get an adult under there, too, I think umbrellas are the best solution. Some of the baby cabanas may be OK, but some of the larger tents are NOT pleasant.

I bought a pop up sunshade tent at CVS last year, thinking it would be a great place for me to sit with the baby while my 3 year old played in the wading pool or the sprinkler. It was awful, because it got so unbearably hot in there that I couldn't keep the baby in it. :(

I'm sure someone with experience will have a suggestion for you, but I bet that a large umbrella at the right angle would work just fine - and it would mean you could be under there with the little ones.

willow33
07-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Sort of an expensive and different option - we bought the Superyard XT and the sun shade that went with it. That way I can contain my 14 month old and he and I can be out of the sun for a little bit. It is heavy however, so if you can't drive right up to the beach it probably would not be a good option. If you do buy a cabana just get one that is very open. I agree that they get very hot in there!

renefjr
07-19-2006, 12:33 PM
We bought the medium sized Kelty Sunshade for REI. Haven't used it yet but it's a great size for the beach. Folds compactly as well.

Java
07-20-2006, 07:06 PM
What about this from One Step Ahead?

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/109180/431755/118.html

http://www.onestepahead.com/images/product/detail_views_jpgs/12300-dv-1.jpg

I like that it's a pop up. I have a similar one but it uses poles to set up so it's more complicated and harder to set up with just one person.

cheyennemom
07-20-2006, 10:14 PM
WE have the large. It is great. Easy to set up, packs up small. It is great on a windy day as well.

HallsofVA
07-22-2006, 01:54 PM
We purchased and use a Sun Stop'r Kwik Cabana III when we go to the beach. I have melanoma, and want to make sure my son and I have a place to get out of the sun. It's lightweight, comes with a carrying bag, and my husband sets it up with no problems. The difference between the I, II and III version is size I believe, with the III being the largest. The smaller versions are okay for babies or kids alone, but looked too short for me to be comfortable in.

Here's a picture of it (taken from BabyCenter)
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34824.jpg

niccig
07-22-2006, 02:19 PM
What's the folded dimensions of the Sun Stop'r Kwik Caban III? Is it a pop-up tent or does it come with poles? We have a few beach vacations and I would like to take something like this, but it has to be lightweight and fit in a suitcase etc.

Thanks, Nicci

HallsofVA
07-23-2006, 02:06 PM
The Kwik Cabana III is too big for a suitcase, I'm afraid. It doesn't have poles that you have to set up, but it does have a fixed frame that pops open to keep the structure supported. I don't have a measuring tape handy, but it looks to be about 3'9" or so long when it's folded in it's carrying bag, and about 4 inches round. You could probably check it if flying, but I doubt it'd fit into anything other than a long duffel bag.

boys2enough
07-24-2006, 01:17 AM
In addition to the beach umbrella... I saw some people bring a blow-up baby pool with them to the beach and leave the pool under the shade. They filled the pool half way with water from the ocean. (Good work out for dad! LOL) Those young toddlers looked so happy and cool that I wanted to join them! :) In fact, it would have been a great idea for us 2 years ago since G couldn't stand sand on him and was constantly crying when we were at the beach... I dusted so much baby powder on him that he looked ghost-white most of the time.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/chika/chirol_buha.gif

I am celebrating: just passed my "1000 posts" mark. Yipee!

juliasmom05
07-24-2006, 07:33 AM
We just got back from the beach and we did this. It was a lifesaver. DD hated the sand, hated the ocean, but loved the wading pool. We filled it up and left it in the sun to get warm and then put it in the shade. The best part, I didn't have to running after her all day :-).

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05