PDA

View Full Version : Traveling potty?

Java
07-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Now that Kael's 90% potty trained, he's totally facinated with public restrooms. What do your kiddos use when out and about? I'm kind of squeamish about putting a potty in the back of the car so I'd like to go another route.

I'm intrigued with the fold out seat you place on top of the big toilet but am concerned with it folding in on DS and either dunking him in or pinching his behind.

Any thoughts?

cara1
07-26-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't think I understand. If there's a toilet accessible, I put my 22month old on the toilet. I wipe it off quickly with toilet paper if I need to. She's tiny, so I usually have to hold here there. I also happen to have a travel potty in the car which has been invaluable. We just came back from the jersey shore. 2 stops on the way down and 2 on the way back when one or the other kid (my 4 year old pooped in it!) had to go and there was no rest stop nearby. Popette potty. Very great, and not inflatable. It has little bag liners so you remove it and tie it up when they're done. I actually add a maxipad inside (idea from BBB) to help absorb the pee.
HTH.

kcandz
07-26-2006, 06:24 PM
If you get the soft seat cover it is hard to pinch, I believe the edges are beveled in a way that it wouldn't really catch. But definitely take care to make sure it is fully unfolded and placed on the toilet properly. I rushed through placing the fold out seat on the toilet and DC did slip once. I hold the child while on the seat regardless, it is just more relaxing to hold a child on a seat you know is just for the child as opposed to trying to make sure there is no sliding over paper. :) The flatter cover I could see pinching. Anyway I use this for stores, etc.

There are also toilet seats that self cover if it makes you slightly less squeamish. There was a thread here about one at Target - looked like a big box and it folded over the toilet part

I just bought a $2 bjorn knockoff at the drugstore to have in the car just in case. I'd rather have that on had than an accident in my car proper, KWIM? Those park public restrooms are all kinds of nasty.

supercalifragilous
07-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Check out this thread on the Toddler Boards about the folding potty seats:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=42&topic_id=1598&mode=full&page=

Like PP said, you could use the Toilet Toppers or just use the Clorox wipes if you choose to have him straddle the potty. We started that with DD in public and now she does it at home too - she doesn't even have to hold on with her hands anymore since she's perfected her "technique."

squimp
07-27-2006, 02:48 AM
We had the cushie tushie folding seat for my diaper bag. Eventually DD got to the point where she doesn't need it anymore. It did take about 3 months though. Now she loves to check out the restrooms wherever we go.

I was more squeamish about public restrooms than the potty in my trunk. We used the baby Bjorn little potty, and carry a big jug of water to wash it out afterward. Then baby wipes to clean it a little more.

Java
07-28-2006, 10:48 AM
The public potties are pretty gross, especially when DS grabs hold of the rim. I hold him, but he still grabs on. I line the toilet several times but he always rips it right in front when he spreads his legs for balance. And then when we go to parks, 80% of the time there is no liner!

I like the portable padded seat topper for regular outings like the park and mall. I'll also get the popette for the car as we do go on long car rides to visit family.

Thanks everyone!