PDA

View Full Version : Is a kettler trike worth it?

Sweetpea972
07-26-2006, 02:07 AM
Hi,
Wondering if it's worth purchasing a kettler for DD's 2nd b-day? First, I'm wondering if she will have any interest in using it. She's a very active child and loves running around like a lunatic. Second, how long do kids use it and at what age to they move onto a bicycle? Do you have Kettler your DC never uses? We live in warm weather year round so if she likes it, it can potentially get lots of use.
Just curious about your opinion. I'm just tired of buying toys I love but DD has no interest in :(
Thanks!!

kcimato
07-26-2006, 07:22 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I would say that a Kettler Trike is not worth it. I bought the Navigator for my Grand daughter's 2nd BD and she still can't ride it according to my DIL although she can ride other trikes. It must be too big for her. She is almost 4 but very tiny with short legs.

elliput
07-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Before you buy, I would suggest having your DD try out a friend's trike (any model will do) to see how she reacts to it.

Karenn
07-26-2006, 10:41 AM
I bought the kiddio, rather than the kettler. I have to say, I'm not sure the Kettler is worth it. Don't get me wrong, DS loves loves loves his trike. He *loves* it. But he's ready to outgrow it after only a year, and he's a small 4 y.o. It just seems like a lot of money to spend on a toy that only lasts a couple of years, even if it's a favorite toy. He'll probably be getting a bike for Christmas and will hand the trike down to his little sister. FWIW, the kiddio has held up great and DS is rough on his trike.

ellies mom
07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
I really haven't decided yet. DH originally said he didn't want to spend more than $125 on a stroller so I did tons of research and settled on the Kiddio. I thought for sure he was going to get the fancy RF one but then he found a cheaper Kettler for $120 that he decided he wanted. Then we went to buy it and he ends up asking me about the Air Happy and Air Navigator, so I tell him the Air Happy would be just fine, then he goes and gets the Navigator. When I asked him why, he said he was tired of looking at trikes and just wanted to get out of the store. So since I'm feeling a little put out by his whole decision making process, I'm not sure I'm giving the trike a fair chance. Especially since DD (2 1/2) can't seem to pedal this one by herself even though she can pedal the lighter folding RF one. I don't know if I'd have been so annoyed if I had suggested the Navigator myself.

I do want to say this about the parent steering. For some reason I thought the Navigator steered more like the fancy RF, which really steers (but can also strip out, ruining the trike). It doesn't. You can sort of guide it but to do any real turning, you still have to lift up the front wheel. You can "lock out" the handle bars which some of the cheaper trikes don't do and that does help, and the pedals are free turning and that is a plus. But I haven't decided if all of that is worth the price tag when I could have bought several Fold and Go trikes with a handle for the price.

That said, I think it could be worth the money. Especially since you are likely to be pushing for a while. I would definately find a place that you can try it out first. Another thing to think about is whether you are planning on having more children. One of the things that made DH change his mind about the cost was that we recently decided to have another child so it will get more use than if we just had the one.

Anyhow, I'm sorry this turned into more of a vent. We just bought ours so the annoyance is still fresh on my mind.

WooChx
07-26-2006, 12:31 PM
My DD is almost 2 and has all ready outgrown the need for a bike that I push. She would be better off with a normal tricycle. I think the kettler was a waste.

annasmom
07-26-2006, 12:49 PM
I would really second the recommendation of a pp and have your dd try out a friend's trike before you purchase. We got a Kettler Navigator for Anna for Christmas, and to be honest she hasn't shown much interest. Both of my dc, and any of the kids who come over to play gravitate to our LT Coupe, and other assorted plastic ride-ons we have. We haven't used the Kettler in months.

kaitlinsmommy
07-26-2006, 12:53 PM
DD also loves her Kettler, but would be just as happy with any trike. She started riding it by herself at 2 1/2 & she still loves it at 3 1/2. She recently got a scooter too but rides both.

brittone2
07-26-2006, 02:22 PM
We opted for the Kiddio Supertrike 4 for DS's 2nd bday and it has worked out great. I definitely wanted air tires as he'll ride mostly on grass/gravel once he can self-propel, but I didn't want to spend the money for the Air Navigator at full price. I considered the Air Happy but wanted the dump bucket.

The kiddio gave us the dump bucket, seat belt, air tires, and push bar for about $100 shipped, but apparently they are harder to come by now (if at all?). I never missed the parent lockout on steering or the autofreewheel features, possibly because DS didn't get it until he was 2 (and was fine with helping us steer, and if not I just elevated the front wheel a bit off the ground...no biggie).

He loves his trike and I feel what we got was a fair deal for the price. I don't miss having a "real" kettler (kettler makes the Kiddio) at all.

Tondi G
07-26-2006, 02:53 PM
we got a Jumbo for our DS when he was two and he loved it! Our 1 year old is now using the Jumbo as DS#1 got his first big boy bike for his 5th birthday! It still looks brand new... we love our Kettler! The seat can be adjusted to bring them closer to the pedals (and grow with the child.... my very big 5 year old is just outgrowing it) and the push bar was fabulous in the beginning!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

Jennymarie
07-28-2006, 02:43 PM
My parents bought my son the Air Navigator for his 2nd birthday.

He's *really* into it. So far, the biggest benefit we've gotten out of it is that we've been able to take some nice walks when the weather is nice. My son hasn't tolerated being in a stroller or backpack since before he was 1 yr old, so we've *really* missed the walks. With the trike, he's happy to stay on it for at least a half hour.

I hope the thing gets some longevity, given what my parents paid for it... Supposedly the frame lengthens, so I'm assuming he'll be using it till at least next fall.

I think it would be worth the $ if you can get a good deal online. My parents paid almost $200 for our Navigator at a specialty shop (which I TOLD them not to do) and I think that's pretty insane for a kids bike. I didn't have a bike that cost that much till I went away to college and needed it for transportation!!!!

hillview
07-29-2006, 08:38 PM
DS got the air nav for his 1 year old bday. He loves it. All smiles riding it (us pushing him) with harness. Our friends have one for their 18 month old and he loves his. My hope is that this will last him til he is 5 or so and also (hopefully) be passed down to a younger sib. That is the only way I can try to justify the cost. I'd try one out for sure!
hth!
/hillary

clc053103
07-31-2006, 11:01 AM
DS got one for his 1st b day- with the foot boards (OSA Navigator). He is too young to pedal but loves being pushed around. I have even sat him on it strapped in while I did yard work- if I do that with a stroller, he screams if he's not moving!

But if the cost is a concern, try TRU for a less expensive Kiddio- I understand they are pretty much the same anyway!

jk3
08-05-2006, 06:34 AM
No. I can count the times that my DS used his. He preferred cheapo ride-ons, especially garage sale finds! ;)

Jenn
DS 6/03

C99
08-05-2006, 09:48 AM
It depends on who you ask.

We don't actually own one. However, a friend from this board lent me her daughter's Kettler (I think it's the Air Jumbo, but I've no idea) for Nate to try out. It's two years later and Nate has used it a handful of times (he prefers his Big Wheel, which is easier to pedal, although he couldn't have reached the pedals last year when he was 2) and its owner hasn't seemed to miss it or ask for it. I'm so glad that I didn't spend the money on one!

MarisaSF
08-05-2006, 02:44 PM
We love having a trike with a pushbar. I'm not sure of the model or price, but we use it every day for neighborhood walks. DD is 2 and, even though she cannot pedal herself, the tricycle feels more "big girl" to her than sitting in a stroller. I'm so glad we got the pushbar kind. I definitely wouldn't feel it was worth the money otherwise.

FWIW, we're in a year-round warm weather place too (Arizona).

kijip
08-05-2006, 04:58 PM
>My DD is almost 2 and has all ready outgrown the need for a
>bike that I push. She would be better off with a normal
>tricycle. I think the kettler was a waste.

Kettlers are not the only ones with pushbars and the push bars can be removed easily. I need to take the one on Toby's trike off.

I don't think Kettler is the obly good trike out there...but we have been happy with our very basic Kettler now that Toby is actually using it. I made the mistake of buying it as a first birthday thing (got wrapped up in the board co-op at the time!) and it went un used for a long time. When I take of the push bar I need to make it a bit bigger. I do like that they are adjustable in size.

darby24
08-06-2006, 01:21 AM
2 months ago I would have said NO!

But now my nephew has mastered it and really enjoys his trike. Now I feel better and don't think about how much I spent on it. I always figured since he has a younger brother that someone would eventually use it!

However I bought the trike when he was 2 1/2 (another person who jumped on one of those great co-ops!) He was no way interested in it at all until this spring (at over 3 1/2), now at 4 he loves it. Now if I could just teach him how to brake! :-)

So if you can handle it sitting around for a bit, it's still nice to have. And yes, we have the pushbar and that is a *must* at age 2.