PDA

View Full Version : Storing art supplies?

niccig
07-26-2006, 08:56 PM
DS is just getting into art, he still tries to eat the crayons at times, so it's been a slow process. I have a few bits and pieces in a plastic container, but I know we'll get more things as he gets older. I was thinking of putting everything in a rolling cart that will probably be kept in the family room closet. But, I want it to be big enough to hold paper. What do people think? How do you store all the art supplies your kids have?

Nicci

holliam
07-26-2006, 09:53 PM
I keep them in canvas bins on a large bookcase. Her crayons are always out and available.

Holli

deannanb
07-27-2006, 06:01 AM
we bought a rolling cart from the hardware store - I think it was around $30. The bottom part is large enought to hold 8.5 x 11 paper and the top section opens and has all of the markers, crayons, pencils, watercolor paints.... there is some storage on the very top - we keep pencils in it

It makes it very easy to bring in and out of the kitchen - and keep out of a toddlers hands when not being supervised.

DS 21 months is banned from all markers! He found a sharpie and "decorated" my brand new couch!

Corie
07-27-2006, 08:17 AM
I bought a set of 5 stacking storage containers
from Container Store. On my set, the very bottom
container has cannister wheels. This makes it nice
to roll around!

Here is a picture that looks very similar to what I
bought. (minus the cannister wheels)

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=62561&PRODID=69701

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34887.jpg

egoldber
07-27-2006, 08:28 AM
I have a rolling cart that I got from Costco. It was meant for scrapbooking supplies, but it works beautifully for her art supplies. I have seen what I think is the identical cart at The Container Store, but it was about half the price at Costco.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=62561&PRODID=10012555

C99
07-27-2006, 09:59 AM
I keep everything up because I still have a young walker who gets into everything, so it's all on a shelf. The art supplies are in small buckets or bins or GLIS containers from IKEA, organized by type. It's all in a repurposed wooden toy crate from M&D and stored on a shelf. I keep paper in a cardboard magazine holder from IKEA. When my kids get older and we lose the train table, I'll probably keep everything in small TROFAST bins.

niccig
07-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Wonderful suggestions everyone. I think I'll go for the rolling cart, as we don't have anywhere high enough to put things. I thought I saw something at costco. I'll check it and the container store. I was wanting to find something that will fit the large foamies containers, but if not, I'll just put those in a different container. I'll also see what ikea has.

Nicci

egoldber
07-27-2006, 06:01 PM
If you mean the foamie stickers, I put those in a ziplock bag. I dislike those containers because I always seem to cut myself on the sharp edges.

niccig
07-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Of course, simple answer, good old ziploc! That will fit into any size drawer.