PDA

View Full Version : Spin-off on empowered girl books -- parenting books w/ same idea?

Ceepa
08-07-2006, 06:00 PM
There have been books for empowering boys recently. Let's balance it out with girl ones,too.

Ceepa
08-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Anyone? Other good ideas?

Jenn98
08-07-2006, 08:37 PM
I can't suggest any specific book (although I know Reviving Ophelia is highly recommended) but I can tell you about my relationship with my mom. My grandma was/is a horrible person with unconditional love, so my mom had to figure it out on her own with me. And she has done a wonderful job of it. Mostly (and I do have my issues with my childhood) I always knew that if push came to shove she would always be there for me no matter what, no questions, no judgements. Just say it all the time, and mean it (and between my brothers and I we did challenge her "no questions asked" policy a few times and she stuck to her word of no judgements, which made it amazingly easier to call my mom when we got into tough situations) Anyway, hug her a lot, and love her like crazy and always tell her you will love her no matter what. And trust her. Trust her decisions and her crazy impulses, that's how she learns to trust herself and learn from her mistakes. And never, never say "I told you so." Always tell her she's beautiful (inside and out) and never pass judgement. But mostly, love her with all your heart and tell her that often.

babyready
08-07-2006, 09:39 PM
I just checked out "Mother-Daughter Wisdom: Creating a Legacy of Physical and Emotional Health" by Christiane Northrup from my library.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553105736/sr=1-2/qid=1155004568/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-3939075-7168100?ie=UTF8&s=books

I have not cracked it open yet and have no idea if it is what you are looking for or if it is even any good. I thought I would mention it, though.

Can't wait to see what others suggest!

brittone2
08-07-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm reading Reviving Ophelia right now and it is an exellent book...I wanted to second the PPs mention of it.

Another book (recommended to me by Holliam here) is Consuming Kids. It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it is related IMO. It talks a lot about how marketing strategies today are geared toward selling sexiness, etc. to young girls. There are lots of other topics covered as well, but a good portion of it deals w/ how girls are being pushed into what we think of as "teen" types of products, etc. earlier and earlier.

i've also heard about this book, but haven't read it myself.
Queen Bees and Wannabes
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400047927/002-7893618-0709668?v=glance&n=283155

Ceepa
08-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Thank you, Jenn, for your post. :)

Lovingliv
08-08-2006, 12:26 PM
I third "Reviving Orphelia"! Great book, great message and it is never to early to learn! Good for you for taking this step!

jadamom
08-08-2006, 03:20 PM
I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes. It's the book that the movie "Mean Girls" was based on. It's really eye-opening and gives good practical advice. I also liked "Why Gender Matters", which is very interesting and goes into how boys and girls learn differently, and why there may be an advantage for kids to go to single-sex schools.