PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for instruments for a 16 month old?

aahjed
08-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi,

I'd like to get DS some instruments to play with. We have some maracas, but that's about it.

I was thinking

xylophone
kazoo
tambourine
egg shakers

are those good instruments for a 16 month old? Any other suggestions? He really loves music and I've signed him up for a music together class in the fall. I would love to get my piano from my parents' house, but that isn't happening anytime soon!

Thanks,
Angela

sidmand
08-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Definitely egg shakers. DS LOVES egg shakers and I carry them around in the diaper bag for restaurants or the car or anything. He likes the little maracas at Music Together and Gymboree too and I've been thinking about getting those as well.

He also really likes his rhythm sticks and drum sticks and likes banging on a little toy drum we have.

We also have a xylophone (Little Tikes, but has pretty good tone) that he likes as well.

DS is a couple of months younger, but I think it might be a little early for a kazoo, but that would probably depend on your DS. I don't think mine would *get* a kazoo.

Everything else sounds like a lot of fun. The only other thing I would add is maybe a drum?

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

lilycat88
08-07-2006, 09:07 PM
We have those as well as a "clapper" and harmonica. DD started to "get" the harmonica at about 18 months or so. The rhythm sticks from her Kindermusik class are popular as well. The egg shakers are fabulous.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

elliput
08-07-2006, 09:15 PM
The xylophone, tambourine and egg shakers are a hit here. The kazoo, well, not so much. A kazoo reguires being able to hum to properly be able to play it, and humming is not a skill many toddlers have. PP's recommendation of a harmonica is good, DD has just recently (at 18 months) figured out the harmonica. And, of course, drums are always a favorite.

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
08-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Harmonica is tough... DD is almost 19 mos and she can't do the harmonica. We got her a a drum from target - it came with a wooden tambourine, drum + wooden drum sticks, 2 small wooden maracas and a harmonica and it is a big hit. She also has a wooden guitar that she brings out whenever Raffi is on.