PDA

View Full Version : Is a sandbox worth it?

smilla653
08-10-2006, 08:58 AM
We are looking at moving into a single-family home, and I'm considering a sandbox for the back yard. DS is 14mo and currently loves to play in sand, both in a city playground uncovered box (yech) and at the beach and lake. I grew up with a sandbox in the back yard made from railroad ties that was UNcovered and all the kids in the neighborhood used to come over and loved it. Everyone I talk to about a sandbox thinks I'm crazy, though.

I see that Magic Cabin has a covered sandbox. Does anyone have it? Did you feel like having a sandbox was worth it? Any others you'd recommend? Aesthetically, I don't like the look of the plastic sand/water tables.

Karenn
08-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Totally. My 4 year old can still spend forever in the sand box. I just wish I'd gotten a bigger one. We have one of those little tikes ones and there isn't enough room for both kids.

vdrake71
08-11-2006, 12:33 PM
A sandbox is a great investment. I would defintely recommended one with a cover. I believe that I have the green turtle which I picked up at a gargage sale for $5.00. Right now we are using it as a swimming pool.

JacksMommy
08-12-2006, 10:31 PM
My father made us one out of redwood - just four pieces nailed together, no bottom. It's huge 6 ft squared and awesome since a number of kids can play in it at once. A great investment for us! We made a mesh cover out of landscaping mesh - this was an idea from an Martha Steward Kids issue from a few years back. The mesh lets water and air in for circulation, but keeps out cats, big bugs, leaves, etc.

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa and the North Bay
www.laurelmccarthy.com
A Held Baby is A Happy Baby
Now retailing KKAFP, Ergo, Peanut Shell and myPouch.

new_mommy25
08-13-2006, 04:00 AM
We've been very happy with ours. My DS spends lots of time in his and has since he was one. We just have the plastic turtle sandbox right now but are planning a big one when we get our yard landscaped. I really like the Hearthsong model. http://tinyurl.com/86lxy

brittone2
08-13-2006, 03:01 PM
It has been one of our most-used "toys" by far. DS got his at around 16 months and still plays w/ it daily, or almost daily, at 2.5.

We have the Naturally Playful sandbox (all beige-ish) and the lid works great.

jasmine
08-14-2006, 01:05 AM
The sandbox is one of the most used toys we have. DS received a Step2 Frog when he was 1 and we actually purchased a 2nd larger Step2 Treasure sandbox when he was 4.

This one from costco.com looks cute. Its kind of pricey at $120, plus shipping:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35124.jpg