PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for inexpensive mobile for daycare?

MNmomtobe
08-21-2006, 02:13 PM
DD doesn't settle well for naps unless I turn the mobile on. It's a hand crank one that only plays for 3 minutes so I have to crank it about 2 more times til she falls asleep.
Can anyone recommend one that plays for 10 minutes or more that isn't too spendy? DD is almost 3 months and I don't see getting use from this for too much longer but if it helps her sleep at daycare that would make me feel better! She starts daycare next week. I would love one that has a button that uses batteries to make it easier for the daycare staff but I suppose that would make it more costly. Any suggestions?

Joolsplus2
08-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Have you scouted out the local consignment/used baby gear store? There's usually a few to choose from at good low prices, that I've seen (we had grandma here and she insisted on a huge Tiny Love deal that we have loved, but gag at the $40 price tag...the plus side, if you can find it used, is that as kids climb up more you can remove the mobile and just have a music box still attached to the crib...)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

dules
08-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Our daycare one was PBK from clearance. It only played a few minutes though, same with our home one. However, at 2.5 DD still plays with the music box part of her mobile. :) We took it apart so it's just a sealed plastic disk with a crank and she loves it.

Best,
Mary

NatalieM
08-22-2006, 01:42 PM
I found the Tiny Love mobile at TJMaxx. It kind of hit or miss there, but you can also try Marshalls.

MNmomtobe
08-24-2006, 12:43 AM
That is a good idea. I'll check out Once Upon a Child. BTW, do you find that the Tiny Love's mobiles small parts are a choking hazard. I wanted to get one of these but was worried about DD pulling it apart. Of course she wouldn't be able to do that now but it seems like she is doing something new every day.

lmwbasye
08-24-2006, 06:17 AM
FWIW, in my area, mobiles are not allowed and when the daycare is inspected it will be removed. Hopefully not the case in your area.

Also, you'd be amazed at how different children are at home and at school....even the little ones. It is like my son is two different children. The teachers there can get him to do things that I turn my face blue trying, but never work.

Good luck!

Jen841
08-24-2006, 07:48 AM
Garage Sale $1 crank one is what we have at home... and the designer CG one is at daycare! I know, goofy, but the garage sale one matches his room better and the daycare one was #1's.