PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Table and Chairs -- what height works for your child???

DAKnits
08-21-2006, 04:40 PM
I think I've seen every table and chair set that's on the internet! My daughter is 2 years old, and 35 inches tall. Right now, we have the Little Tikes Tender Heart table which is way too small a surface to spread out her puzzles and do arts and crafts -- it's a 22" square and 19" high. I would like to get a large table top for arts and crafts and puzzles, etc..., but the majority of tables that have large table tops are also high tables, between 22"-24" high, which is way too high for her to use right now.

I should also say that she's not the most "athletic" in the world, and has a hard time climbing on chairs as it is. The chair heights for the 22-24" tables are 14" off the ground -- the chairs she has are 10" off the ground and she really gets on and off of them nicely.

Anyway, I have been looking at rectangular wood tables that are 36"W x 24"D ... but the height is the part that is driving me crazy. I found three tables with that size table top, but one table is 19" high, one is 20"H, one is 21"H -- I don't know which height to choose. On top of it all, all of the chairs are 13" off the ground, which worries me.

I don't want to get the 21" inch table if she won't be able to reach it, but I don't want to get a short table that she won't be able to use for more than a couple of years.

Any suggestions for tables you love? What height table works for your child, and how tall is your child?

Any help is MUCH appreciated -- I'm embarrassed to admit how many hours I have spent looking for a table!

Rachel

MarisaSF
08-21-2006, 06:28 PM
My DD is exactly the same size as yours -- just turned 2, 35" tall.

I really like our table and chairs. I wanted something slightly bigger than most I saw, but not too big.

Our chairs are 14" off the ground. The table is 33x24 and 22" high. They are the same measurements as one of the PB Kids tables: http://ww2.potterybarnkids.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpak%7Ccplastg%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fk%2Fshp ak%7Ccpla%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fk&pkey=cplastg%7Cak&gids=p117
DD does well on them now (they are sturdy) and I am confident that they are big enough for her to grow into. I especially like this size because I can sit on the chairs and color/play with DD, so I knew she'd fit in them for a long time.

I had a hard time gauging chair and table height and found a guide in the Lakeshore Learning catalog. Here ya go: http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/charts.tem
ETA: based on the Lakeshore guide, the set I have would be too big for my two-year-old, but I thought it would help you see the measurements. Lakeshore sells tables and chairs of all different types and sizes. I got something mid-to-big as I wanted her to be able to use it for years. It does seem to work well for her as it is sturdy and I put it on top of a carpet. Good luck in your search!

DAKnits
08-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Thank you for your help! Since there are no local furniture stores around here, and I have to buy sight unseen, I feel like I really have to be sure before I order.

I like that Lakeshore has so many options for their tables, but I don't want a classroom looking table at home if I can help it. So far I am leaning towards getting a 21" H table by Gift Mark ...

Where did you get your table?

Other than PBK, what other tables did you find in your search? All of the KidKraft tables are 24" (there's one that's 18" which I wouldn't consider", and the Little Colorado tables aren't big enough for me (I'd like to find 36" x 24" if I can).

THANKS again for the help!