PDA

View Full Version : QuickBuild Doll House/build it yourself

mum1day
08-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Has anyone put together a doll house?

We are thinking of getting this doll house for my DD's 3rd birthday:

http://www.dollhouselane.com/site/598831/product/GR8002

If anyone has any experience with building a doll house, I would love to hear your experience. We are wondering how long it will take to build, etc.

TIA!

Edited to fix the link!

holliam
08-21-2006, 08:10 PM
I haven't put one together but I have seen them in local hobby stores. Honestly, I think they are a bit too fragile for a 3 year old. I see it more as something for an older child (6+) or adult. Yea, I've wanted one for a while. ;)

Holli

sarahsthreads
08-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Um, I don't want to discourage you, but my parents bought me one of these when I was around 8, and my dad and I started to put it together. I say "started", because it's still just the basic frame with about 1/4 of the roofing shingles put on the roof, and it's still sitting in my parents' basement. Of course, that might have been my fault, because I think the deal was I had to finish gluing the shingles on before my dad finished the rest of the building work and I lost interest. (Actually, I read a book called "Dollhouse Murders" and I was too scared to even have the thing in my room.)

I also would not give something like that to a younger child, the materials aren't exactly flimsy, but they're not toddler-sturdy IYKWIM.

As a side note, my parents keep offering it to me to finish for DD, but it's been in a damp basement and had things put on top of it, so it's really badly warped and all the rest of the pieces are missing. I'm not sure if they're serious or not...

Sarah :)