PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning sippy cups

Mommy_Again
08-22-2006, 01:07 PM
We use the Gerber sippy cups that change color when there is something cold inside. In the tiny crevice near where the no-drip stop inserts is yucky gunk that I cannot get out. I imagine it is from water not being able to dry well, or maybe milk that I can't get to? What do you guys do to get this out? I either hand wash or dishwasher these, and even then it doesnt clean this stuff out. I have been throwing them away when this happens but I am sick of doing that, sippys are not cheap.

TIA.

Sillygirl
08-22-2006, 01:49 PM
There is a special place in design hell for whomever made those little crevices. How much more plastic would it take to fill them in and make them smooth? The only thing I have found that works is to put a toothpick in there and dig the junk out. Everyone who reads this thread and says "I know! I hate those crevices!" let Gerber know! Here's the link: https://www.gerber.com/contactus

Maybe we can get them to change their design.

ETA: I called to lodge a complaint. They're very nice and they're going to send me a bunch of coupons. The 1-800 number is on that linked page and they're open 24/7. Call and let them know!

jvorhis
08-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Honestly I found that that the only thing that works is bleach water. Over the years I have found Emma's crusty cups under couches and car seats - god only knows how long they have been there. I was going to toss them but I decided to try the bleach. Let them soak overnight and then clean them really good with soap and water and then put them in the dishwasher. They will be good as new.

Mommy_Again
08-22-2006, 02:38 PM
ok, I am SO glad b/c I was starting to feel like dirty scuzzy mommy. Toothpick is a great idea, I was trying to find some kind of brush that was small enough but no luck. I will also call to complain - love coupons!

ETA: OK, I just called. They suggested q-tips (can't see that working, though) and instead of coupons I am getting new lids sent out. That works.

mariza
08-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Now ya'll have me thinking; I was just wondering about that yesterday and now an idea popped into my head. How about those tiny brushes that you use to get between braces and your teeth? I think those could work too; darn it I just got back from Target!
Mariza
Mommy to my "Thing 1"
and soon to arrive "Thing 2"

Sillygirl
08-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Q-tips won't work, they are too big and the crud really sticks in there. So glad you called and they are sending you free lids! Lousy design but their CS looks pretty good so far.

SpaceGal
08-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Oh I understand your pain. DS seems to only like the Gerber ones too. The solution I've found to work is to use the nipple brush that came with our bottle brush. It cleans out both sides pretty well and gets most gunk out.

Hope that helps. Cool that you got them to send you new ones.

kboyle
08-24-2006, 08:43 AM
you know, those little brushes that come with the dr. brown's bottles that are supposed to help you clean the tube insert thingy....these work wonders in cleaning hard to reach sippy areas. i never really used them much for my bottles, i think i used 1 little brush for the many bottle i used with charlie and i think i still have 3-4 brushes in the drawer that are still pkged. i LOVE those little brushes!