PDA

View Full Version : Toddler foreign language DVDs?

sdbc
08-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to shell out the $$$ for MUZZY unless people think it is far superior to others (like brainy baby)
Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

jadamom
08-24-2006, 02:41 PM
I've heard that some libraries have Muzzy. Maybe you could try interlibrary loan to check it out and see. We have it in Spanish, and we like it, but I don't know that it's worth the expense for us right now. Our DDs are 4 1/2 and 2. Muzzy seems to be geared towards slightly older kids. It's cute, but also a little strange.

calv
08-24-2006, 02:58 PM
i'm fluent in spanish and was thinking of getting this for my kids. any other thoughts? TIA.

sdbc
08-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Our county doesn't have it. :(

naomi01
08-28-2006, 01:09 PM
We loved Bilingual Baby (comes in lots of languages). There are reviews on amazon (I think). Good luck, Naomi

jadamom
08-28-2006, 02:44 PM
I think it's incredibly difficult to learn a 2nd language from a DVD. I've heard that you really need face-to-face interaction. If you already speak Spanish to your kids and they understand it, than Muzzy will be more accessible to them, and they'd likely enjoy it. My DD will watch it, but often complains that she doesn't understand what they're saying. We really don't watch it very much. The story is about a large fuzzy alien monster who likes to eat metal and befriends a dog, who is in love with a princess. The princess has a creepy admirer who she rebuffs, so he tries to recreate her with his computer and ends up making multiple copies of her. She, of course, ends up with the dog. Stuck in the midst of this story are little short clips of a man saying Good morning/afternoon/night, ordering different kinds of food at a restaurant, standing in/out/above/below/in-front-of/behind a box, etc. It's humorous, and the music is catchy.

sdbc
08-28-2006, 03:41 PM
These, they have on Netflix! I speak French, but Spanish would probably be more useful in the future. I wish they had Hindi, since our daycare provider teaches some Hindi songs...

HallsofVA
08-28-2006, 08:04 PM
We have the Usborne Spanish and French DVDs, but I can't say that my son has ever gotten into them to the point of watching them voluntarily. My strongest recommendation would be for the Signing Time DVDs if you count ASL as a foreign language. We have all of them and he's become quite fluent with his signs.

My son did a little bit of French last year, but not from DVDs. They taught French at the Montessori program we had him, but in the 15 minutes of French instruction they got each day, I don't know that he really picked up a lot and I don't know of any DVDs that they used. On the other hand, he's learned a lot of Spanish from having hispanic teachers, and from watching Dora. We now have him in a Spanish imersion Montessori program where he's getting exposure to both English and Spanish. However, they don't use any Spanish DVDs that I can recommend.

WooChx
08-30-2006, 10:31 AM
My daughter has been learning Spanish from DVDs and it is working. She will be 2 next week and has an impressive vocabulary. I've found that the simpler the dvd the easier it is to learn. I also play regular DVD's and switch the audio over to Spanish. This works with many television programs too.

Baby Einstien Language Nursery
International Baby Let's Sing Together English & Spanish
Cantemos en Español by Susy Dorn (Let's Sing in Spanish)

Pretty Good: - These DVD's wear on my nerves quickly.
Plaza Sesamo: Vamos a Cantar
Las Formas

CD's
Boca Beth - Really Great (would love to check out the DVD)
Cuban Lullaby

Television:
Dora the Explorer - Spanish Channel Version

Toys:
Language Littles Lizzie Spanish and English Doll
Leap Frog Activity Table - Spanish

kboyle
08-31-2006, 09:10 AM
i just can't seem to find Bilingual Baby on my netflix search!! i did find brainy baby: spanish though. i also found rock n' learn spanish
http://cdn.nflximg.com/us/boxshots/large/70024228.jpg
and it seems to have gotten great reviews, but i think it's geared more towards pre-k/kindger aged kids and older.

sdbc
08-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Oops. That's what I meant. I found Brainy Baby. I think Amazon sdaid they were the same.

babymama
09-01-2006, 11:22 AM
We TiVo Dora the Explorer from the Spanish channel (Unvision?). It plays here on Saturdays and Sundays only.

We also have the Leap Frog Tad which sings and counts in English and Spanish.

We speak Spanish at home.

Lydia
Mama to 2 sweet babies

Oh what fun it is to potty train & BF at the same time!