PDA

View Full Version : Floor covering advice- mat? carpet?

betsydenny
08-27-2006, 06:47 PM
I am looking for suggestions on what I can cover my DC's bedroom floor with. We have a lightweight carpet but our downstairs neighbors hear every book or toy that hits the floor.

I am thinking of something like those foam interlocking ABC mats but I can just see my two pulling out the letters and numbers and just making even more of a mess.

A tumbling mat or two also came to mind but they seem pretty expensive.

We could always get a rug and thick padding but are up for any and all suggestions.

It is a pretty small room so it won't have to be too big.

TIA for any ideas!
Betsy

brittone2
08-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Have you seen those Flor brand carpet tiles? No personal experience w/ them, but they might work depending on price. IMO the thing that is appealing with those (in principle) is that you can replace one or two carpet tiles as needed if they get stained, etc. which is probably a big help with kids.

Not sure now the price is overall though.
http://www.interfaceflor.com/

Here's an online review:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flooring/msg0910512911865.html

miki
08-27-2006, 09:15 PM
IIf you have a Lowes near you, they sell Flor tiles and you can have a look at the material. But Flor sells many more styles than Lowes carries.

applesauce
08-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Costco has ALex tumbling mats for 35.99 right now. They are close to $125 everywhere else.

ssjarrett
08-27-2006, 09:29 PM
I believe they sell those interlocking foam squares at Lowe's and they are just plain, bright colors, without pictures or the alphabet puzzles. They are near the rugs and are about $16-18 for 4 large squares I think.

dules
08-27-2006, 10:19 PM
I was going to suggest Flor too. We haven't used it yet but I'm eyeing it for DD's room when we take down the crib, and for our third floor because I want to have padding so that DD and I don't hear DH walking around up there working while we are trying to sleep. I like all the options, the price seems right and I like that you can swap out "tiles" if they get stained/damaged etc.

Best,
Mary