PDA

View Full Version : Need software suggestions for 2 1/2 yr old

JennyLynn
08-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi all,

Looking for a simple software application that will help my 2 1/2 year old son learn to use a computer mouse. His grandpa gave him a computer and he LOOOOVES it, but doesn't quite get the "mousing" yet. DH suggested we find some sort of program to help him figure it out. I looked at Amazon, but didn't see quite what we had in mind. Can anyone make a suggestion?

I would also like to hear about your experience with special kids'-only keyboards, giant mouse, or other hardware you have used to help get a young'n started on the computer.

Appreciate it!
Jenny

PS - I looked in Toddler Forum but thought I might catch more replies over here. Thanks :)

Momof3Labs
08-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Our DS does fine with the regular equipment (and has for a year) and games on the internet - noggin and pbskids have some tailored for the very young set.

kedss
08-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi-
Have you tried
www.starfall.com

Its a reading website, but it does use the mouse a lot, so if you show him a few times, that may be a good place to start.

We use our home computer with our DS, we didn't bother with his own computer, because we tried buying him a toy celllphone and that went over like a load of bricks, LOL. We sit with him at the computer so he doesn't do any damage to the computer. :)

kaitlinsmommy
08-28-2006, 09:17 PM
DD finally figured out how to use a mouse about 3 months before she turned 3. We played at pbskids.com & had a game, but she was more motivated when we got some Dora games since she loved Dora a lot then. I would just try out some software with something that interests your ds & he might just get it with a little practice. Good luck!

JSF111
09-04-2006, 07:31 PM
I, too, just go for free software online (sesame workshop, nickjr, etc. whatever their hobbies), but I highly recommend a Kidzmouse. Got ours at Circuit City (online, actually). Its about $20 and has 2 nice features: 1 is it is a bit smaller for little hands. I considered getting a small mouse (they sell them for laptops), instead, but the second thing is the clincher, IMHO.

The Kidzmouse doesn't have a scroll ball or anything and it allows you to set the control panel to let the kids click either mouse button to the same (left-click) effect. Otherwise what happened with my DD was she'd always right click and end up on some function menu instead of playing her game. Now that she has the Kidzmouse, she can function independently with the computer (can mouse each game and click from game to game). I think she mastered these skills shortly after getting the new mouse, which was around 2 1/2.

HTH,
Jessica