PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Trick-or-Treat Bag: What do you use??

Corie
08-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Right now, my daughter carries a Lillian Vernon
trick-or-treat bag (pumpkin) but so does every other child
that I know.

I keep sending product suggestions to LL Bean because
I would love to be able to customize a small tote bag in
orange/black canvas. And, maybe add a reflective strip
of material along the handles. Then, I could have the
kids names monogrammed on the side of the tote.
I keep hoping!!!

Anyway, back to my question! What do your children
carry for their Halloween Trick-or-Treat bag??

Thanks!!

Corie
08-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Just saw this...

http://www.personalizationmall.com/Product.aspx?storeid=5&categoryid=1136&productid=1673&sdest=product&sdestid=1379

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35361.jpg

Joolsplus2
08-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Oh, a customized tote bag would be TOO cute!
We just got some little nylon cat and monster shaped bags last year from The One Spot at Target last year... most kids in our old neighborhood just used pillowcases...for real! Once we used orange gift bags from Walmart.
Maybe a canvas bag from Michael's could be fabric painted and customized to match a kid's costume?
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

calv
08-28-2006, 09:49 AM
same here. all the kids especially the 5+ age group AKA candy adacts just use the pillow case.

i was thinking a fun project to do is to decorate your own w/their names or even their hand prints. cheap and fun project

traciann
08-28-2006, 11:14 AM
caly, that is a good idea!

i could do a orange gift sack with her name and handprints on it!

i really want to do a personalized t-o-t bag. but since i just have the one child right now, i am hesitant to do one. I guess because once the second one comes along, i would want them to have same/similiar bags. crazy, i know, but being a middle child who was left out of alot of things I want this like that to be fair/coordinating.

calv
08-28-2006, 11:30 AM
not crazy at all. I want the same if not very simiarl things for my kids to prevent jealousy/fighting over and they're not even twins, LOL.

I just might do that as favors at our 1st bday party. Hmmmm,wonder where I can get cheap canvas bags and have the kids decorate them at the party. Seems appropriate since we're having a halloween party theme

Corie
08-28-2006, 12:28 PM
I was thinking about buying a couple of small jean tote bags
from Hobby Lobby and taking them to an embroidery store
to have their name sewn on.

I would like to have just the outline of a pumpkin embroidered
on the bag and then have their name sewn inside the pumpkin.

traciann
08-28-2006, 01:18 PM
that would be an adorable craft/favor for a birthday party!

paint is cheap, and i painted a nice size craft bag for MOPS last year. I bet you could find something at Micheals, Hobby Lobby or Garden Ridge.

traciann
08-28-2006, 01:19 PM
that is a cute idea. and it would be original!

Corie
08-28-2006, 01:43 PM
If you do handprints on the bag, you should use glow-in-the-
dark paint. I think they make glow-in-the-dark paint!!

That would be so cool !!

zoestargrove
08-29-2006, 10:34 AM
I like the llbean tote idea Corie! Don't they have custom made options now?

We used to use pillow cases too and they can hold LOTS, but if you're feeling crafty you could make your trick or treat bag part of the costume. My sunflower last year carried a toy sized watering pail and this year I'm planning on making a bag to look like a crested shield for my knight in shining armor.

I'm having a harder time thinking up a clever coordinated candy carrying vessle for my dragon. So far, the only idea I have is that a dragon might carry around a pail of water to put out any accidental fires. (Shrug)

Kelly

rlu
08-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Way cool idea! A dragon would be guarding treasure, maybe a jewel-encrusted velvet-like bag? Or even an upside down gold crown? Or even simpler, a treasure chest with some gold pieces etc on the bottom? We considered that for our pirate last year.

Last year DS was a pirate and DH decorated a Goodwill black leather purse to match - he called it a booty bag - but DS pulled the patch off at the last minute so we ended up using a plastic pumpkin with Tigger on it (we were in Disneyland so even though it didn't match the costume, it matched the location). We got the tigger pumpkin the year before when DS was, surprise, tigger.

DS is a cowboy this year, not sure if we'll try a leather pouch (whatever guys call their purses) or just go with the tigger pumpkin again.

zoestargrove
08-30-2006, 02:41 PM
I like the leather saddle bag for a cowboy..or you could make a bag by sewing 2 bandanas together on 3 sides

Thanks for the jewel encrusted bag idea...I think I'm going to use that one!

Kelly

rlu
08-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Oh, I was just going to update with this dragon bucket from Lillian Vernon. We're big on dragons here, so we'll probably have DS be one someday.

http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=5897&ensembleId=5897&subCatId=710

Leather saddle bag is a good idea, I think we'll try to find something at Goodwill (our halloween headquarters) although I like your bandana idea really well. maybe rope or leather for a handle.

Now, I need to figure out how to make a saddle for the dog.

Sillygirl
08-31-2006, 06:10 PM
A 99-cent orange plastic pumpkin.

Corie
08-31-2006, 08:01 PM
Got my jean tote bags and washed them.
Plan on going to the embroidery shop soon!!!

boys2enough
08-31-2006, 10:35 PM
>Got my jean tote bags and washed them.
>Plan on going to the embroidery shop soon!!!

Corie, you go girl! Let us know how it turns out!

Here we use the cheapy plastic orange pumpkin basket for daycare. When the time comes and the real thing begins, my 8 yo has been using any nice big plastic shopping bag with nice plastic handles.

I came here to post about the PBK treat bag. I think I may have to get one. Here it is:

http://ww2.potterybarnkids.com/cat/pip.cfm?pkey=gthmocchal&gids=hf230&src=hme

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pnkypanda.gif

Corie
08-31-2006, 10:59 PM
Lin,

I've got about one month until we move so I'm on a time
crunch to get my list done!! I figure that I'll need
the trick-or-treat bags fairly soon after we get up
there. So, I might as well get them embroidered down here
since I have a already have a great embroidery place!!