PDA

View Full Version : what is your 9-12 month old playing with?

nicknack
08-28-2006, 12:19 PM
You'd think I would remember but I have completely spaced on what DS used to play with (it's just TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS now that he's almost 3).

DD will be about 9 months old at xmas and then obviously will turn 1 in March. So what toys are a hit at that age? I'm sure I have a bunch lying around from DS but I'd also like to get her a few new things of her own.

Thanks! And yes, I'm already thinking about Christmas!

MommyAllison
08-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Hmm here's what DD currently loves:
-opening cabinets and playing with pots, pans, nonperishable food
-playsilk
-toys she can push while she walks (we have the FP Stride to Ride car)
-FP Laugh & Learn Home
-Mirrors (we put one up at her level in her bedroom)
-those plastic beads that snap together (I'm not describing well - i can post a pic if you need)
-I put together a collection of kitchen stuff for her from the dollar store - pot, pan, wooden spoons, serving spoons, plates, cups, strainers, different tupperware like containers, plastic ketchup/mustard bottles, etc etc - she loooooves to play with this stuff!
-books - cloth and board, she loves them all and loves to turn pages

Those are the favorites, played with every day. hth!

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png[/img][/url]

jeniferrlynne
08-29-2006, 03:31 PM
My son (9.5months) is a major climber/wanderer but when he sits still long enough to play...

He really enjoys learning tables. My mom and MIL have one too, even though they are all different brands. He loves our leapfrog one we got at a garage sale.

In the nursery at church and at my mom's I always see him playing with a toy similar to this- I don't know what to call them
http://www.leapfrog.com/do/findproduct?ageGroupKey=infant&key=lfpopup

stacking cups
Blocks - I stack, he knocks them down

The phone, remote, laptop keyboard and our cabinets of course.

Some things I think he would love would be the Laugh and learn home, and a walker wagon though we don't have them. I am thinking of purchasing some type of sorting/container toy before his birthday since it is kind of a smaller item. He enjoys removing things from my bags like he is digging for buried treasure.

The questions I think he asks himself if it makes a good toy are:

"Can I pull up on it?"
"Does it have an open/close feature?"
"Is it difficult for me to reach or hidden from the human eye?"

kboyle
08-31-2006, 09:27 AM
>The questions I think he asks himself if it makes a good toy
>are:
>
>"Can I pull up on it?"
>"Does it have an open/close feature?"
>"Is it difficult for me to reach or hidden from the human
>eye?"
>

right now, max LOVES his laugh & learn house (a bit expensive for toy that will only last for a little bit, but SOOO worth it) & chair, he also loves the bucket of playfood that we've got, chewing on some books and his all time favorite since his birthday...an almost deflated mylar balloon (of course with supervision)! he drags that thing all around the house, from day one he's been holding that ribbon and it would float above his head and he's just smile and tug at it, now, almost a month later it's still floating a bit, but now it's at HIS seated eye level!! i'm gonna feel bad when it's gotta be trashed! AND it's the free one that TRU gives you on your bday! so...it was a free toy! next time i got to the grocery store i just may have to cough up the $2-3 and get him another mylar balloon...totally unsafe because of the string, i know, but i'm right there, and he's just soooo happy!

jgriffin
08-31-2006, 09:50 AM
LOL! We got mylar balloons for E's birthday party, and gave all but one away. Oh boy was he fascinated by it! Best...toy...ever!
He's really on a balloon kick right now. We went to a street fair this weekend, and he pointed out every single balloon that passed us (making the accompanying "mmm? mmm? mmm?" sounds as well!) You should hear him at TJ!

As for "bought" toys...E liked (still likes) playing with:
-RF walker wagon (bought at 11mo, but he could have used it sooner)
-LeapFrog Learn-Around Playground
-Ryan's room tent/teepee set (cheap at Costco!)
-nesting cups for the bath
-anything big that opens and closes (there is a toy oven at daycare that he likes, for example)
-blocks (we have cloth ones, wooden ones, and Quattros, and he likes them all)
-most of the toys he was playing with at 6mo; he rediscovers them and plays for a short time
-books that make noise/music
-balls of any size or type (he loves my exercise ball!)

And non-toys:
-magazines/catalogs (he likes to find the small inserts and carry them around)
-baby bottle lids (the Avent ones are just like small cups)
-the telephone
-the cat

kboyle
08-31-2006, 01:40 PM
lol - the cat, i think max thinks our cat is just the best small furry thing out there, he just crawls around slowly and tries to follow or sneak up on him, when he actually catches him he gives him nice wet kisses and then i watch and laugh as he gets TOTALLY frustrated that he's got fur in his mouth :)

brownlesa
08-31-2006, 02:50 PM
DD is about to turn 1 but these are the things she's into now:

Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn home

Little People Farm-She carries the little animals around and throws them through the bars of the gate and down the stairs

little arm chair from Land of Nod

Little Tikes push and ride racer http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2333030&cp=2274248
(She really likes to put her stuffed blocks on the seat and then push it around.)

Name puzzle stool like this: http://www.damhorsttoys.com/catalog/Personalized_Name_Puzzle_Stools.htm

books-especially her lift the flap Elmo book

HTH
Leslie

DD 9/13/05