PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Advent calendar pouches

tlw
08-28-2006, 03:17 PM
I bought this cute Advent calendar for my two goddaughters, ages 4 and 18 months. There are 24 pouches which are 2.5" wide. I'd like to fill 12 pouches for one child and 12 for the other, alternating, of course. Suggestions? I just don't know what's appropriate for girls these ages.

Thanks so much!

http://www.kidsurplus.com/avn47829.html

boys2enough
08-28-2006, 04:22 PM
I encountered the same problem last holiday! So thank you for posting this. I am interested in knowing what others may suggest.

I ended up giving them money (shiny quarters) on a few days, and candy and chocolate sometimes (I know I am bad)...

Legos sell tiny tiny holiday figure sets.

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=10068

I will definitely get some for this year. (Lego makes their own Advent calendar set too, FYI).

Does the 4 yo like pretty gem stones? I am asking because my boys get excited by smooth pretty pebbles. (I know...)

Sorry not much help. I can't wait to hear what others say though!

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/chika/chirol_buha.gif

I am celebrating: just passed my "1000 posts" mark. Yipee!

sarahsthreads
08-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Oh, that's so cute, and really cheap too...I may need to get one!

As to what to fill it with, how about stickers? Little jars of play-doh? I remember seeing a plastic candy-cane filled with several tiny jars of play-doh in the holiday area of Target last year. They were really little, but I'm not sure if they were 2.5" little. For the 18-month-old, Fisher Price puts out Little People Christmas tubes with 3 LP figures in them (also in the seasonal area at Target or similar stores), you could split that up into three days. How about little cars? (Girls like cars too!) These playskool ones would be appropriate for even the younger girl and would probably fit: http://www.hasbro.com/playskool/wheelpals/default.cfm?page=browse&product_id=17164

And if you have days left over, maybe you could put little slips of paper in them with something nice written about the child ("You have a wonderful giggle") or something?

That's all I can think of right now. Hope it helps!

Sarah :)

s_gosney
08-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Last year for ours, I put little slips of paper with a fun activity. Some included "make cookies with mommy" "watch a Christmas movie" (you can coordinate this where your favorite Christmas movie is on tv that night), "read a book with mommy/daddy" (we had lots of these--lots of Christmas books). If you wanted to do more "gifty" kind of stuff, you could put hints in the pockets and let them unwrap one small gift each night.

zoestargrove
08-29-2006, 09:41 AM
oooh, I like the idea of leaving a "clue" for them to figure out where to find the gift. My guys love scavenger hunts.

tlw
08-29-2006, 05:13 PM
I like the clue/activity idea, too, especially b/c I try not to make Christmas about "stuff". However, I live across the country and rarely see the girls.

Here is the list I'll be shopping from and adding to:

Play-doh
little people
stickers
small cars
crayons (take out of box and wrap like candy)
stamp pads and stamps
small Christmas ornaments with their name or year
costume jewelry
small flashlight

BTW, even though the calendar is super cheap, it's surprisingly nice quality in person.

JacksMommy
12-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Thought I'd revive this post as I don't plan nearly as far in advance as PP!

My new idea for the calendar this year has been copying out Christmas knock-knock jokes - DS is getting to the age where he LOVES these, even though he doesn't totally get them yet.

I've also done packs of post-it notes (kids love post-its), small tree ornaments and the occasional candy treat.

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

zoestargrove
12-04-2006, 02:26 PM
I borrowed the idea of leaving clues in the advent box with activities from here and just wanted to say THANK YOU and that my boys (2 and 3.5) are having a BLAST! I draw a picture of an area of the house...and that is where they find the supplies for that day's activity.

Kelly

jse107
12-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Well, I've got a two year old and the PB Advent Calender with pouches, so I'm happy to see this thread! I'm terrible-- I haven't done a thing yet!

However, my idea for when DS is *older* is to fill each pocket with a "donation" each day. So, really it's the reverse of the whole thing--instead of getting something from us each day, he can put somthing in for someone else. After Christmas, we will donate what's put in each pocket to charity. Even if it's just some change or a small gift, I think that's what the season is about and would like to encourage DS to think about what he can give to others.

Am I crazy?