PDA

View Full Version : Which is your favorite 1st Potty Training Seat??

christymc33
08-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Looking for your favorite first potty. Any links?
There are so many out there. I am not sure what to look for in a first potty seat. Thank you!!

jse107
08-29-2006, 10:28 AM
We have the Bjorn seat (the two-piece version) and have been very happy with it. Owen likes it, it's easy to clean, and doesn't have distracting bells and whistles.

Twin Mom
08-29-2006, 08:52 PM
We have the Bjorn insert (upstairs) and the potty (downstairs). Hand me downs from a friend. Both worked well for us. My twins have been potty trained for a while now but they still like to go on the "little potty."

lpl47
08-30-2006, 06:30 PM
I personally would try just an insert on the "big" toilet. If your child will use it, it will be easier for you in the long run. Then using the big potty when you're out and about will be less of an issue and making there won't be a difficult transition down the road. Plus the seperate potties require cleaning after each use.

We really like the flip n flush seat http://www.flipnflush.com/
and I just ordered this: https://www.inventiveparent.com/drmerryspottypal.htm for our second bath. Until today, we had been using just a squishy seat that you place on top of the toilet seat (but need to remove for an adult) in our second bath and it got so disgusting that I decided to order the potty pal.

As far as seperate potties go, we did have the Once Upon a Potty and did like it a lot (the shape is especially great for boys). I liked that it was all one piece, making it easier to keep clean.

Good luck!

mom to little e
08-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Have you used the dr merry's yet? I would love to read a review. It sounds good.

We currently have two Bjorn potty seats since the insert would not fit properly on our elongated seats.

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

sdbc
08-31-2006, 07:27 AM
We use the Graco one. It was easier for her to start on that than the big potty since we started traing just before she turned two. Now we have both that one, and in the toilet seat section of target, they have real toilet seats with an "insert" built in that flips up with the lid for adults, or flips down for little kids. We just installed that on the main toilet. She always has the choice of which she wants to use. She's 2 years and 3 months, and she just now is starting to prefer the big toilet. Up to this point, she wasn't afraid of the big toilet, but definitely prefered the Graco.

When she was first learning, I prefered the potty chair, because sometimes I couldn't tell if she peed in the big toilet or not. I always could tell in the potty chair.

lpl47
08-31-2006, 12:13 PM
We just installed the Dr. Merry's potty pal seat last night and so far it seems great. We also have elongated toilets. There are a few advantages to this seat over the flip n' flush we have in our other bathroom:

1. Both bottom seats (the regular adult one and the kids overlay part) will stay up against the lid for an adult male to stand and pee. With the flip in flush, my husband has to hold the seats up because they won't stay up by themselves.

2. It's an entirely new toilet seat. When we got the flip n' flush we also had to buy a new toilet seat to go with it because the flip n' flush doesn't fit with all seats. In the end it cost less to get the Dr. Merry's than the flip n' flush and additional seat.

Good luck

CiderLogan
08-31-2006, 01:07 PM
The Graco one worked for us. It was easier for DD to use a potty chair at first when she had to rush to the potty and pull down her clothes - getting up on the big toilet would have possibly taken too long. Also, for those long, long trips to the bathroom when she was just learning, it was easier for her to sit on the little one while we read books or whatever (and I could sit on the regular toilet!). On the other hand, then she had to learn to use the big one... that only took a few tries, but after all the PT'ing drama, it would have been nice not to have to get over another hurdle!

Oh, and one nice thing about the Graco seat is that the seat party comes off to put on a regular toilet to see if your child prefers that. And, I agree with the previous poster about how nice it was to see how much she went in the little one at first.

Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06

tjham
09-15-2006, 12:22 AM
I'd just like to mention one I did NOT like - the Royal Potty. What a waste of money!