PDA

View Full Version : Humidifier?

hillview
08-31-2006, 07:11 PM
Hi all,
DS has a cold ... doc suggested a humidifier. So:
1) does it work?
2) is there a good one? Or a bad one or some special feature we need?

Clearly I am an idiot in this department (and several others!)
TIA!
/hillary

lilycat88
08-31-2006, 09:58 PM
We've had a lot of snot in our house over the last 2 years. Ear infections = snot = cough in our house and we've had about 15+ ear infections. Yes, they help in our case. I'm partial to the cheapest we can find. No filter...nothing. Vicks makes them and our current favorite is a Walgreens brand one. I like using them because when they get gross, I just throw it away and start over. I get them for $12.00 or so and I try to have at least one in reserve. We use about 2 a winter. We run it at night and empty it in the morning and refill the next night. I like a warm mist humidifier but it can really make a room feel like a tropical rain forest. For a cold, that's great.

Hope your DS feels better soon.

tny915
08-31-2006, 10:51 PM
We really like our Slant Fin warm mist humidifier. It's a bit pricey, but it works wells for us and really seems to help DD breathe when she's stuffy. More info in this thread.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=41637&mesg_id=41637&listing_type=search

And if you do a search for humidifier, you'll find many recommendations.

Hope your DS feels better soon!

JFC
09-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Ditto! We bought this model (based on Terri's great review) last winter and LOVED it. It works great, and our upstairs feels like a spa when we run it with a drop of eucalyptus and a drop of lavender oil placed in the little cup that goes on top of the fan.

BTW, we got ours at BB&B with a 20% off coupon. HTH.