PDA

View Full Version : Reality check - is First Art a good 2nd birthday present?

sarahsthreads
09-01-2006, 03:23 PM
I just bought First Art (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0876592221/ref=pd_rvi_gw_2/104-2872476-4764701?ie=UTF8) for one of DD's friends who is turning two this weekend. After looking through it I want to order another copy for DD!

But...is it really a good birthday present for a 2yo boy? I'm worried that it's more a present for his parents than for him, and he won't have any interest in it at all when he opens it. I didn't want to go for yet another plastic, noisy toy (doesn't everyone have enough of those already? ;) ) so I thought I'd try something different, but now I wonder if it's going to be too different.

If someone gave your child this book, would you think it was a good present or not? (Am I over-thinking this? It's the first birthday party that DD has been officially invited to so I'm new to the whole non-family children's birthday party thing...)

Sarah :)

mamalia
09-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I think it would be a welcome gift at any age. I just bought this for my good friend's DD. It was her FIRST birthday. :) We packaged it with crayons and chalk. Maybe if you added some art supplies that would peak the little boy's interest too.

Malia

sidmand
09-01-2006, 10:01 PM
I do think it is kind of a better present for the parents, but agree with the PP--if you included some art supplies as mentioned in the book (FWIW, we just got the book, but I'm barely into it yet!) that would make it more of a gift for the child too.

Of course at age 2, they probably only care about unwrapping and not so much what is in the wrapping.

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

new_mommy25
09-02-2006, 12:57 AM
I've never seen that book before but it looks great! I have bookmarked it. I would give that but I think I might throw in a few dollars worth of inexpensive art supplies as well. You can get Crayola on sale for fairly inexpensive since it is back to school time. I bought a 6 pack of paint at Walmart for $5 and then got some inexpensive brushes last week.

calv
09-02-2006, 06:59 AM
you can always use the 50% off AC more discount (over at the BB discount board) to add some fun crafts to the book. :)

sarahsthreads
09-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks everyone! I don't know why I didn't think of adding art supplies, that's a great idea!

Since they probably have crayons and chalk already, maybe I'll pick up a Crayola smock and some finger paints at Michael's.

Sarah :)

JaysTeri
09-02-2006, 07:42 PM
We just had DS's 2nd birthday party, and I seriously wish you had been invited! I would LOVE this book!

Jenn98
09-02-2006, 07:46 PM
YES! I would totally have loved to have gotten a book like that for DD. I agree with the PPs to maybe include some art supplies, too. Great idea!