PDA

View Full Version : Baby Shower Gift

shburks
09-05-2006, 12:35 AM
OK, ladies, need help again. I just got invited to a baby shower (on the 16th) for a girl due really soon with a baby girl. I don't know her very well--she's the wife of a guy who works with my husband--AND she's not registered anywhere. I know...kills me!

I'm just stumped on what to give her. I know she's planning to breastfeed and has most of the major stuff she needs. I'd like to get her something useful but unique and I just can't think of anything. The best I came up with a bath basket with baby wash, lotion, baby towel, washclothes, etc.

Please...does anyone have any ideas??

TIA

Susan

set81616
09-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Build a bear gift certificate. We got a $25 one and it was so wonderful. My mom, DH and I sang a little song on it each taking 2 turns and then all saying we loved him. It was so much fun and I still remember who gave it to us while everything else is mostly a blur.
HTH
Shannon

Pennylane
09-05-2006, 07:34 AM
I think that sounds nice, maybe buy some aveeno baby products. Also you could order her a Diapees & Wipees to include. I have given several and everyone loves them!

Here is one link to them.

http://66.29.50.113/%7Epreciou/catalog.php?item=46&catid=1&ret=catalog.php?category=1

Ann

cchavez
09-05-2006, 10:41 AM
How about some cute trumpette socks?

sarahsthreads
09-05-2006, 11:54 AM
In thinking about what people bought for us that we hadn't registered for, I can come up with a couple of things that really stood out:

- A taggie blanket, the small 12" square one. That's been in DD's crib since she was about 3 months old. It's not technically her "lovey", but she likes it a lot.
- The Fisher-Price crib aquarium.
- A really soft bear with a pink bib embroidered with her first and middle names and birthdate. That was something we got after she was born, though, and it was from FTD. We took pictures of DD with it every month for the first year.

As for useful and unique - maybe a ring sling? Most people get Baby Bjorn-type-things, but I found the sling 100% more useful and about 1000 times more comfortable to wear DD in. Or a lullaby CD and a clock radio/CD player for the baby's room. DD listens to The Planet Sleeps (http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Sleeps-Various-Artists/dp/B000002BOW/sr=8-1/qid=1157475102/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-2872476-4764701?ie=UTF8&s=music) every night as she falls asleep.

If you want to do the bath basket, Target sells really cute day-of-the-week washcloths. That really helped with DH, who would have used the same washcloth for DD for weeks if they hadn't had the day written on them. Yuck!

Or, do a baby-care basket, with really nice nail clippers and files, tweezers, hair brush, thermometer, etc. We registered for a kit of these things, but then I had to go out and buy nicer ones because the ones that came in the kit were really cheap and useless.

Sarah :)

traciann
09-05-2006, 12:04 PM
honestly, I would buy diapers. If you don't know where she is registered, that is what I would pick. I buy diapers because they are always needed, and I usually get pampers Swaddlers or Hggies Supreme...because it seems like most people like them. Its not a fun or cute gift, but always really appreciated.

I don't like bath products because I am picky on the smell, and it takes forever to go through a bottle.

Traci

zoestargrove
09-05-2006, 03:20 PM
I've always appreciated diapers as gifts or how about a bookstore gift certificate....she can decide if she wants to get something for the baby or for her.

saschalicks
09-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Miracle Blanket www.miracleblanket.com we had 3 of these and loved them, I even sent it as a gift.

Diapees & Wipees http://66.29.50.113/%7Epreciou/catalog.php?item=46&catid=1&ret=catalog.php?category=1, I love ours and I've sent this as a gift as well.

Here is something we got we did not register for and it has been a lifesaver: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_2/602-1817048-0232639?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0000DEW8N

I love are cart cover, which we use more in restaurants as a high chair cover: www.sewcuteboutique.com

I love our Bumbo, I wished I had it with DS#1: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_4/602-1817048-0232639?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0007ORN7C

HTH!

Jenn98
09-05-2006, 09:46 PM
These are all great ideas! I loved our Miracle Blanket. Pair it with a copy of Dr Karp's Happiest Baby on the Block book or DVD (I liked the DVD better-no tine to read!) and you've got a great gift.

I also really like the booster seat the PP mentioned. It's strapped to my dinning room chair right now. And although I didn't think I'd use a shopping cart cover I am a total convert now and don't go without it! And the Bumbo is great, too. I don't have a Diapees & Wippees, but I have a pattern and fabric to make one.

I've always thought a hodge podge of little things would be great, too. Like California Baby products, Triple paste, etc. Things I would never have known about without the BBB.