PDA

View Full Version : When do kids start playing dress up?

neeter
09-05-2006, 01:53 PM
The reason why I ask is I purchased some babystyle costumes last year, thinking my son (who is 2 1/2) could use them for dress up play. We tried them on and he enjoyed it, but he hasn't gone back to play with them. I'm thinking of selling one on craigslist, one that I know he won't use for Halloween this or next year.

But if dress up isn't for a little while longer, I can hang onto it!

Thanks!

CiderLogan
09-05-2006, 02:02 PM
My DD (just turned 3) plays with her old Halloween costumes a bit but not for long. But her cousins, who just turned 4 and 6, are REALLY into dressing up and do it all the time. So maybe it will come soon?

Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06

kelly ann
09-05-2006, 02:19 PM
OMG...same here. DS just doesn't want anything to do with that purple dragon costume. He will put on goggles with his mickey mouse ears and a backpack to pretend that he is a super agent (from Backyardigans). But that is about it. There is hope for DD though since she seems to be the complete opposite of DS...toys he hates - she loves and visa versa.

ETA: My friend who has a daughter 9 months younger than DS says that play dress up all day with princess outfits. So maybe it is just a personality thing - or maybe princess costumes are just more fun for dress up :)

shishamo
09-05-2006, 04:19 PM
I hate to say this, but I think it's a gender thing. At least in my house, it's that way. My son is not into it at all, my 4 year old DD and my almost 2 year old DD are really really into it. we have tons of boy and girl friendly costumes, we always had.
That said, my son did go through a dress-up (princess) phase around 3 or so which lasted for about 2 months, most likely because he had a girlfriend who was really into it at that time.

Momof3Labs
09-05-2006, 07:33 PM
My DS started it a little a few months ago, but he really only puts on hats to dress up.

jillc
09-05-2006, 09:08 PM
My DD is 2 1/2 & she just started showing interest in a big bag of dress up clothes that I've got. My living room looks like a closet exploded! Oh well, at least she's entertained!! ;)

pixelprincess
09-05-2006, 10:12 PM
DS wore one under duress last halloween after being bribed with candy, lol. I was going to get rid of the new Kangaroo costume that he had refused to wear last year. We were watching a show with a Kangaroo (Chica Chica boom boom) and I asked if he'd want to be a Kangaroo. He wore the costume and has been asking for it. I am keeping my fingers crossed but am thinking there is hope for us!

zoestargrove
09-06-2006, 08:11 AM
My son started dress up a few months shy of 3 - he loves to wear hats, capes, butterfly wings, and accessorize with playsilks, but he is not into wearing full fledged costumes like the dragon or giraffe I bought last year. I'm keeping the dragon, but I sold the giraffe. I bought a shiny silver fabric knight outfit (vest and hood) that is his current favorite. (kidssurplus.com)

Kelly

egoldber
09-06-2006, 08:18 AM
My DD really started getting into around 3 or 3 1/2. At age 4 the dress-up play really exploded. We have tons of costumes. That age range seems pretty typical for the little boys around her age in my neighborhood too.

I will say that all the kids I know want to be "characters" or "people" of some sort. A firefighter/knight/princess/superhero/fairy, but not a dragon or a bumblebee if you get my meaning. The little boy next door (age 4 almost 5) LIVES, and I mean LIVES, in his Batman clothes.

neeter
09-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks guys -- this is funny, I have the purple dragon and the giraffe...I'm thinking of selling the purple dragon (and you sold the giraffe). Maybe I will go ahead and sell the dragon -- even if he does want to do dress up, it can be the giraffe.

That is also a really good point about keeping it simple, like hats instead of total full-on costumes. And wanting to be people characters instead of being animals.

I appreciate all the insights!

wendmatt
09-06-2006, 08:29 PM
I wish DD would want to play dress up, she has the most gorgeous little fairy outfits from my family. But she hates it! She loves to dress up for Halloween, but the rest of the year is a no go!! So, some kids just don't like it I guess.