PDA

View Full Version : Help! 6 month old DD still has cradle cap!

citymama
09-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Hi everyone,
DD has had a mild-medium case of cradle cap on the top of her scalp since she was about a month old. I don't know whether it has been exacerbated in any way by the wash we use (Mustela 2-in-1 hair and body wash). The pediatrician said months ago that it will go away on its own, but she is now almost 6 months old, and I figure it's time to intervene It's both unsightly and seems to irritate her (she scratches it which makes it worse).

Anyone have shampoo or wash suggestions to help get rid of this? Definitely not something harsh (someone recommended Ivory soap) because DD seems to have pretty sensitive skin. From searches on this forum, it looks like some moms have had some luck with Mustela Newborn shampoo and California Baby tea tree (although that sounds like it might be a little harsh?). Did either of these, or something else, work for your DC? I appreciate your help! Thanks.

:-)

holliam
09-06-2006, 09:47 PM
I used just baking soda as a paste on my daughter when she was about 8 months old and then rubbed her hair with olive oil. I then used a fine comb and went through all her hair combing all the loosened stuff out. I forget where I found these suggestions but it worked fabulously. She was oily for a couple of days. :)

Holli

DebbieJ
09-07-2006, 02:09 PM
My son had cradle cap until he was TWO! Our ped told us not to worry.

We used some Burt's Bees apricot oil (happened to have it on hand). We would pour a little on his head, then massage it with a soft bristle hairbrush, then wash his hair to get the oil and scales out.

Evenutally it did just go away.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

kaitlinsmommy
09-07-2006, 02:19 PM
DS also had cradle cap & I put olive oil on his head & scrubbed with a brush & picked with a comb. That finally got rid of it. We then used regular J&J shampoo & it never came back.

Mirthful
09-07-2006, 06:36 PM
My DD had the same thing and we first tried the oil way but what I learned is that it only gets rid of the scales - it looks better but it doesn't help the underlying problem. Then, we were told to use a dandruff shampoo like Selsun Blue. I don't know if you want to use something that strong but it did seem to work well for her. You just have to be careful not to get it in the eyes. I totally know what you mean about the scratching - mine had all these little red "cuts" on her scalp and face from the scratching! The only downside is that she didn't have a nice baby smell anymore - she had that medicine-y smell - but it was worth it. :P

Raidra
09-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Lachlann had horrible skin problems on his scalp and face for months and months. Some of it was cradle cap, and some of it was eczema. The only thing that ever worked was Aquaphor. We'd put it all over his head and on the patches on his face, and it would clear up so long as we kept using it. Eventually it did go away on its own, but it was over 6 months. The Aquaphor also worked really well to heal the scratches he gave himself.

When he started crawling, he got horrible patches of eczema or some other rash on his knees and on the tops of his feet, and Aquaphor always worked to heal that up quickly. I swear by it, but I sure wish it didn't make such a huge mess.

mommysammi
09-08-2006, 04:27 PM
We used the Gentle Care (it's Gentle something if not Gentle Care) shampoo for DS's cradle cap. We used it about 2-3 times and that took care of it. HTH.

cuca_
09-08-2006, 04:36 PM
We used the California Baby tea tree shampoo and that did the trick.

HTH

Carmen
DD May 2003
DD May 2005

colegiala
09-08-2006, 08:24 PM
I've done the same things as prior post, but used Jojoba oil. I would leave the oil on for a couple of hours then gently comb the area and shampoo. Jojoba oil suppose to be a great oil for the scalp and skin. I bought the organic one from Wholefoods. I think Desert Essence makes it.

nfowife
09-08-2006, 08:34 PM
My pediatrician said to use a dandruff shampoo so we used neutrogena t-gel. You do need to be careful not to get it in their eyes. From the reading I have done, it is not advised to "pick" the scales with a comb or anything, as that can introduce bacteria and cause problems. For the t-gel, we used it every day for 2 weeks, then every other day for a week, and then oever few days after that for a while. My DD still has a few patches (minor) here and there, but she has a ton of hair so you can't see it unless you search. I have decided to just leave it be as it doesn't bother anyone and poses no problems health or beauty-wise. It usually resolves on its own by 2 years old.

calv
09-09-2006, 05:00 AM
my DD is over 2.5 and still has it. The T-gel has been useless to us. :( Maybe time to spend the $ and try out california baby?

connor_mommy
09-09-2006, 12:09 PM
With my first son he had really bad cradle cap. We ended up rubbing olive oil in his scalp and letting it sit for a while. We had to do that a few times to get rid of the cradle cap. I heard about the California Baby Tea Tree and Lavender on this message board. So with son #2 we immediately started using the California Baby Tea Tree and Lavender when he was born. He didn't develop any cradle cap on his scalp, only on the skin where his eye brows reside. We only use it as shampoo and he uses so little of it, that it's lasted for a while.

HHCs Mom
09-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Olive oil did the trick for us. I put it on his head at the beginning of the bath, combed it through, and then washed it out at the end of the bath. I think I had to wash his hair twice to get all of the oil out. Did this a couple of times until it was all gone. We had a recurrence of cradle cap at about age 2 and I did the same thing and it cleared up quickly. No problems since!

Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ 4.6.04

HHCs Mom
09-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Olive oil did the trick for us. I put it on his head at the beginning of the bath, combed it through, and then washed it out at the end of the bath. I think I had to wash his hair twice to get all of the oil out. Did this a couple of times until it was all gone. We had a recurrence of cradle cap at about age 2 and I did the same thing and it cleared up quickly. No problems since!

Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ 4.6.04

JTsMom
09-09-2006, 06:54 PM
DS had it forever too- his ped's son had it until he was 4!!!! What worked for us was Aveeno's Moisturizing baby wash- can't remember the specific name, but it's really thick.

duvie
09-11-2006, 10:02 AM
As "Mirthful" said, picking the scales only temporarily gets rid of the yucky look, but doesn't take care of the problem. I don't want to discourage you, but DS had cradle cap until after age 1. We tried Head and Shoulders a few times which seemed to help, but then we decided that we didn't want to use all of those chemicals on him.

Our pediatrician basically said to leave it alone and to not put hats on him (as much as possible) so the scalp could breathe.

anamika
09-11-2006, 11:19 AM
YEs, for us too. The oil/removing scales just made it look good for two days and then it was back. We also tried the dandruff shampoos with no luck but finally, we tried the CA baby tea tree and lavender and it is the only thing which works. We also use the calming conditioner b'cos that is safe for cradle cap too. It is soooo worth the money to us.
Now if only I could find something for her eczema......

writermama
09-11-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't have medical advice, but this is what my hair stylist told me when DD#1 had mild cradle cap. We had been using J&J Body Wash. She said that the pH of "no tears" shampoo makes cradle cap worse. She said a shampoo with a more neutral pH helps - typically the lines sold by salons rather than regular retail stores.

We used one with DD that she suggested (Redken Extreme, I believe) for a week or two and it cleared up. We have since started using California Baby instead of J&J products because of DD#1's sensitive skin, so I don't know if we'll use Redken shampoo with DD#2. I may try the California Baby PPs recommended instead.