PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use IKEA Expedit shelves to store toys?

american_mama
09-07-2006, 12:25 AM
If you put storage boxes in the shelves, what did you get that fit well? IKEA sells baskets (Branas) that fit perfectly, but cost $13 each, which really adds up if you buy many. They have a new semi-opaque plastic option, perfect fit, but $10 and very uglyl. Do other stores offer any wicker, canvas, or other bins that fit really well?

If anyone doesn't know if they have Expedit, here it is. We want the 58 inch one.
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15561&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=11499&langId=-1&chosenPartNumber=40047675

Also, any feedback about these shelves? There is no backing on them and I wonder if that will allow the wall behind to get marked up by toys being pulled ina and out. We also want to get a big one and house toys at the bottom and adult books and stuff on top. Any reason that might not work?

sidmand
09-07-2006, 08:01 AM
We have the big one (I think—5 x 5) and do the same—adult type things are on the top shelves and kid things at the bottom. So far it's fine, but DS is only 15 months.

We have about 5 or so of the wicker baskets and about 5 or so of the red plastic ones. I didn't like those at first, but I saw them at someone else's house and they grew on me. The rest of the cubbies we just left open and put books or toys that don't fit well in a basket.

I haven't found anything else that fit well. I tried because I didn't want to spend $13 to fill each cubby either! I thought some crates might fit, but they were always a bit too big on some side. I'm sure there must be something out there though.

So far no markings on the wall. We also know someone that put a smaller one in the middle of her playroom so it's accessible from both sides. I thought of that too, but ours was too big to be sturdy free standing like that and it looked funny.

I think the markings might be inevitable, but maybe not. Depends what kind of toys are put in there. Ours is also a tiny bit pulled out from the wall (but strapped in above).

We've had it about three years, but just recently has DS been playing in and around it (the cats liked it though).

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

kelly ann
09-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Ummmm...we have the ones you think are very ugly! We bought 4 bins and put them on the bottom shelves. Since it was for our playroom, it seemed more practical and fit with the kiddie decor.

Our walls have not gotten marked up yet, but I just figure we can repaint the wall if it gets bad. Also, I think it should work fine if you put adult books on top.

Maybe you can try the Container Store or a craft store for other alternatives for bins. However, it may be difficult to find something cheaper. I think the prices at IKEA are pretty good, but it does add up quickly when you want to buy more than a couple of bins.

american_mama
09-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Oops, insert foot in mouth for saying the plastic bins are ugly. I worried about them cracking, since they are rigid plastic, and the colors (red and clear) don't go with the look I want, which is probably my main beef with them. I'm surprised they don't make them in more colors.

Nemesia
09-07-2006, 11:53 AM
We bought some of these containers at Target for our Expedit shelves:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_3/601-8645019-4602564?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0009GC7ME

They fit nicely, and come in a wide variety of colors. Our Target store has them for about $5 each right now.

kelly ann
09-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Don't worry Karen - I agree that they will not win any design awards :) However, I was stuck with putting the bins together and so many times I would hear cracks - but nothing was breaking. I guess they are pretty durable. But why did it take me longer to put together the bins than it did for DH to put the bookcase together?

Those Target bins that the PP posted about looks like a great solution.

dr mom
09-07-2006, 02:51 PM
We used Expedit in our playroom; after two months of very active play (including DS regularly scaling the face of the unit like a rock climber) there are no scratches on the wall, no scuffs on the unit itself. Ours is fastened to the wall, obviously. The walls are Behr paint in an eggshell finish, and have survived every variety of abuse a two-year-old boy can imagine.

I don't love the aesthetics of the Lekman (plastic) boxes, but I do like that they are transparent, so DS can easily find what he is looking for - and more importantly, has an inkling of where to put things away. One of these days, I'm going to put labels on the boxes.

For you Ikea fans, the hanging toy holder to the left is a Fangst, and the table and chairs are Svala.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35516.jpg

icunurse
09-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Wow! I really like how that looks! Nice job! I've been telling DH what 'd like to do with the playroom that we are working on and this will give him a nice visual....thanks for sharing! :)
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

brittone2
09-07-2006, 06:34 PM
We have two of the Expedit shelves, same size as above (in white though) side by side.

We also have several of the same baskets, although we need to amass more. I actually swiped some from a jelly cupboard I was using them in, and have some on the Expedit shelf now. I need to buy more.

They fit great though.

We've had our Expedit system for close to a year now I think and it has held up very well for the price (we even paid to have it shipped, and Ikea shipping is often not cheap at ALL, but it was still a better deal than most other systems I could find for the price).

missy425
09-12-2006, 08:35 PM
I have the large Expedit for DD's toys and also have adult stuff on top. I still have some empty cubes but I've only had the shelving unit for about a month. Anyway, I have some Sabrina baskets from PBK (large and medium) with books in them on the shelves as well as these canvas utility drawers from Bed Bath and Beyond. I bought them in the store and the price tag said $9.99 but when I got to the register, they rang up at $1.99 b/c I guess they are a clearance item. They fit in the cubes perfectly but definitely don't allow you to see what's inside. DD still hasn't figured out that they are filled with toys so I usually pull them out for her so she can explore. Good luck!
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&sku=13615985

Tondi G
09-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Are the baskets in the outer shelves from IKEA as well or elsewhere?

thanks
~Tondi

brittone2
09-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Tondi-
I can answer this as we have the same baskets. The outer "natural" style baskets are the Ikea Branas baskets. THey are the only type of container we have for our Expedit shelves so far but they are a great fit and relatively inexpensive. I need to get more the next time I'm near Ikea :)

Tondi G
09-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks Beth! when we are ready to ditch the crib and get our bunkbeds I want to get some of these shelves! Glad they have the baskets at IKEA too.... I hate having to run around buying and returning things if they don't work etc!

~Tondi

inmypjs
09-13-2006, 09:46 PM
I have read all of your posts and I LOVE this storage system! It is just what we are looking for against the wall in our finished basement (which is quickly turning into a playroom). Unfortunately we do not live near an IKEA, and my question is do you think it would be worth it to have it shipped, or should I just look for something similar at stores we do have - ie Target, Lowes, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc? I really appreciate the picture, it helped me visualize what I want!

holliam
09-13-2006, 10:24 PM
I think Beth said it was worth it to her to ship, but I looked into it and concluded that I didn't want to pay that much in shipping. It was more than the shelves themselves when I priced it.

But, I'm not a huge Ikea fan in the first place. If you are, then it might be worth it!

On the other hand, I have never found anything quite like it at that price. So, it might be worth it. I have found smaller cubby storage at Organized Living, but they're not around anymore. I just moved one into our family room that I had but it only has 6 cubbies.

I really like bin storage like they have at Land of Nod and Company Store. Admittedly, they cost a lot more but they hold a lot.

Holli

jasabo
09-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Just wanted to say that we have those same baskets and yes, they're from Ikea. They have 3 sizes - a bigger one, that size, and a smaller size. We use the 2 larger sizes in our Expedit shelf in our playroom.

>Are the baskets in the outer shelves from IKEA as well or
>elsewhere?
>
>thanks
>~Tondi

american_mama
09-20-2006, 12:27 AM
Target sells something similar in their Housewares section, brand Closetmaid, that has 9 cubes and is often on sale for $39.99. You can buy the Closetmaid Cubical canvas bins that fit perfectly for $5.99 regular price, or a swinging door for the same price.

The downside to me is that shelves come in only two colors, white and light maple. We want something darker. They are also shallower, maybe 11 or 13 inches, whereas the Expedit one is 15 inches deep. I haven't measured our toys, but I think some of them need the greater depth. The IKEA Expedit shelves also come in arious heights (something like 31 inches, 58 inches, and 72 inches).

Also, to compare apples to apples, you would need two or possibly three of the Target shelves to equal the capacity of the IKEA one.

Also at Target, I have bought some bookcases from their Thomasville line that are more decorative and deeper than most. The canvas bins from Bed Bath and Beyond that someone posted about above are a nice fit for the depth. It comes in a 2 shelf, 4 shelf and 5 shelf, and comes in medium brown butternut and lighter natural pine. See http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_7/601-8577313-8505739?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0001K0RHU

Check out all the bookcases on target.com. There were quite a few that might work for you, although many of them were quite expensive for what they are. Here's another link for toddler storage furniture:
http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=in_br_display-ladders/601-8577313-8505739?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=3073811

I am also a big fan of Sauder furniture for casual furniture, like toy shelves, although I have yet to buy any. They call bookcases "libraries." Their retail website is www.afo.com, had great photos and dimensions, will calculate a price and shipping for you. If you request a catalog, it will come with a sticker and code for half of shipping, good for two or three months.

inmypjs
09-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Thank you for these links to Target. I have looked in stores but not online, and they seem to have a lot more selection! We recently learned that my mom will be near an IKEA soon, and she's agreed to bring back the Expedit shelves for us! Yippee! I still may get a smaller bookcase like the Target one for DS's room though.

I do have a quick question for the Expedit owners - what size of Branas baskets fit? I couldn't quite determine this on the web site and I want to be sure to give my mom detailed instructions. We're also going to pick up some Lekman boxes - agreed they could be cuter but I really like the clear.

dr mom
09-20-2006, 07:08 PM
The pic above shows ours with the 12x13x6" size BRANAS ($7.99), which is a perfect fit. They only fit into the cubbies one way, the cubbies are about 13" square and the baskets are actually 13 3/4" in the long dimension.

The LEKMAN boxes are 13x14x13" which is a very snug fit. They slide in and out, and DS can easily pull them out himself, but he has more difficulty replacing them if he pulls them all the way out of the cubby.

american_mama
09-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Ok, I have replied several times to my own question, but I am posting to help anyone else who may be reading. At Walmart today, I saw some nice white plastic bins that might fit well in the Expedit sheles. It's brand Sterilite, sturdy white plastic with small holes cut all over it, and a small gray handle.

Umm... I was going to provide dimensions, but I am staring at my bin now and realizing I bought the wrong one. DD2 must have really been distracting me.

Anyway, here is the complete line plus photos:
http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=141

I think items 1626 and 1628 would fit Expedit, cost $2 and $4 at Walmart. Item 1628 is deeper and is the one I would choose first.

I am also wondering if you could buy that new Kryon spray paint and paint the face of the bins whatever color you want.

kcimato
09-23-2006, 06:45 AM
The Kryon paint for plastic works very well. We had 2 plastic Adirondack chairs that were about 15 years old and faded beyond belief. I spayed them with this paint and they look like new.

jess_g
09-23-2006, 07:01 AM
After reading all these posts, I want one too! But I have measured before and the big one takes up way too much wall space for us so I think we will be getting the smaller one. Now I am dying to goto Ikea and check them out.

Will all these great bins that people are posting fit in the smaller Expedit shelves too? Are the cubbies the same size? I might just get the canvas ones from Target to fit into the cubbies on the bottem and then keep the top ones for books and such.

Thanks,

Jessica.

Ceepa
09-23-2006, 08:09 AM
They also carry these at Target (sometimes in a 2-pack). We have them all over to hold toys, books, etc. They're sturdy and easy to move around.

They also come in brighter colors depending on the season. At hte start of summer Target had them in blue and lime green combinations. But they seem to carry the white/grey ones yearround.

-Ceepa

Masik
09-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Yes, the cubbies are the same size. That is just their number is smaller.
HTH
Marina, mom to sweet baby Daniel (02/01/2006)

lmintzer
12-04-2006, 02:36 PM
We finally decided to buy an Expedit shelving system for our basement--have PB Cameron upstairs. It was expensive and scratched easily.

So, now for baskets/totes.

I read all the posts--looks like the ones Ikea sells will fill the space best. But they are pricey and add no color to speak of.

I found some fabric totes by Closetmaid at Lowes for $5.99 each. The dimensions listed are: 11 H x 10 1/2 W by 10 1/2 deep. That seems like it will waste quite a bit of space, don't you think? Is that a lot smaller than the ones sold at Target? Our target didn't have any in stock today--you have to order 6 on line (of the same color) for $39.99. I wanted to mix up the colors.

Thanks!

ETA: I think that the ones from Target and the ones from Lowes are actually the same. In one of the Target reviews, someone said that Target reported the size worng, and the size is actually the same as the Lowes. They look alike, too. I can get singles at Lowes, which is nice. I could use the Target color blue, but they only have them in 6 packs. Oh well!

kayte
12-04-2006, 03:08 PM
We have the Target cubes too--they work great. I made tags for the handles that have a picture of the toys inside.

inmypjs
12-04-2006, 06:29 PM
We have Expedit in our basement and love it!

We ended up doing a combo of IKEA branas baskets and white Sterlite (#6128) baskets from Walmart. They are about 10 inches high, 13 wide, and 16 deep. They are a great fit and really maximize the space. They are white so don't help much with color, but I think they could be spray painted. At $3 each you really can't go wrong! They are also very durable and easy for my son to take out and put back in.

I think your biggest waste of space with the Lowes ones would be the depth. I think I know the Target ones you're talking about. I had some at one point and returned them because I thought they were too small. If I remember correctly they were 11 or 12 inches square.

Good luck! I'm sure whatever you choose you will love the Expedit shelf.

funda62
12-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Nevermind I'm a dork and read 21" as 12". Why can't Ikea make things all the same dimensions?

DAKnits
12-05-2006, 04:07 PM
For those with the Expedit shelves, where do you store puzzles? I am still on the fence about ordering these since I have to pay such a big shipping charge, and right now, my puzzles are waaaaay to wide for the Target cubes -- I know the Expedit shelves are wider, but probably not by much. My playroom has limited space, so I am trying to figure out if I need to get a small Expedit unit, and then a traditional bookcase for things that need to lie flat ....

luckymom
12-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Have you looked at the IKEA Trofast series? Kind of a similar idea to the Expedit shelves, but the bins seem to work really well for toys. I've seen them at a playdate, and they had wooden peg puzzles stored flat in the bins (the standard ones, not the huge oversize ones that I see occasionally) I was looking at these for my sons room, it seemed to make keeping like toys together easy, easy to get them out and use, and easy to clean up. The bins slide in and out of the grooves.

Good luck, and if you do find something that works for the Expedit let me know, I have the same storage problems!

Lucy & ds 8/04

american_mama
12-06-2006, 02:53 PM
The Lowe's and Target cubes are the same. Sometimes the colors at Target vary by season (lighter in the spring) and sometimes just by stock availability. I think thhe Closetmaid bins waste a lot of the Expedit space and don't look so great b/c of their small size. I have a photo I will post later of 3 different baskets in the space, including the Sterilite product 1628, the Closetmaid, and Bed Bath and Beyond bins.

I have been looking everywhere for the right sized bins, and the pickings are slim, especially since they have to be about $10 or less. Otherwise, it's better to just get the IKEA plastic bins for $10 or the Branas baskets that fit perfectly for $14. But, I ignored my own price restriction and bookmarked these for $12 because they were really nice with straight sides to maximize space and looks:
http://www.organizes-it.com/powhitn-wickerbin.php?t=9&rtnFile=wicker&rtnDisplay=Wicker%20Storage#

I am hoping later today to try painting the white plastic Sterilite with the Krylon Fusion paint. If this works, I could do it with either the Sterilite or even the IKEA ones. I found out the Krylon Fusion comes in more colors than are available at most stores, see good color rendition at
http://www.utilitysafeguard.com/Krylon-Paint/Fusion-Spray-Paint

A can is less than $4 at Walmart in person, but appears to be much higher online, plus shipping, but if that's what it takes to get the color, I might do it. Krylon is also sending me a color wheel of all their colors.

I also did a little research on shelves similar to Expedit, but will post about that separately, along with the results of the Fusion experiment.

DAKnits
12-07-2006, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. My only thought is that if everything is in bins, DD can't see what's inside and I have found that it makes all the difference if she can see the toys exposed.

I guess I could have a separate small shelf type organizer just for puzzles and flat items if I get a smaller Expedit unit, but it would be a very tight fit. Grrrrrrr. You would think that it would be easy to find a product like Expedit that has both cubes and longer flat shelves within in the same unit.

sugarsnappea
12-07-2006, 07:00 AM
We use the Trofast buckets in our expedit shelves. They fit, and work just fine.
You could use the kindergarten method and tape small pictures of the bins contents on the outside.

lmintzer
12-07-2006, 09:02 AM
I know--don't you wish IKEA had a unit that had both? Pottery Barn now does (their toy units are mix and match and has art shelves, doors that close, cubbies, wide shelves, etc.). But they are so pricey. And the quality is not that great. We actually have a unit from a few years ago in our family room--it has chipped a ton and doesn't look that great anymore. We certainly didn't want to spend $800 for another one for the basement!

funda62
12-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Can someone please give me the exact interior dimenions of the cubies? Thank you much!

american_mama
12-07-2006, 04:34 PM
The exact dimensions of the Expedit cubes (empty) are 13 1/8 wide by 15 1/4 deep by 13 1/8 high.

american_mama
12-07-2006, 05:11 PM
If L shaped cubbies and long rectangular shelves would help you, I have two ideas, both priced comparably to Expedit. Before buying Expedit, I looked at a local modern furniture that sells copycat IKEA stuff and Scandinavian imported stuff. That store has something in stock for about $80 or $100 that might work and could maybe be shipped to you. It's probably ready-to-assemble, like IKEA stuff, so not so hard to ship. The dimensions are 60w x 15.5d x 26h inches, color "cherry" (a reddish medium brown). It's divided into thirds the long way (so a shelf would be about 18 or 19 inches wide), with asymmetical shelves of various heights, and one L shaped shelf and one square cubby. Email me if you want to know more.

This same furniture store could also order something like you are describing from a big Danish? furniture company, so check this option at a modern/Scandinavian furniture store in your area. It was called Create It shelves, item 71600, manufacturer Tvilum Scanbirk (or maybe just Scanbirk). Good luck finding the product online, though: I looked and found nothing, even emailing a Japanese friend to look at a Japanese site to see if it was buried in the links. No go.

I only have a spec page from the catalog, no photos, but Create It shelves appear to be cubbies of various sizes (square, rectangular and L shaped). You can put them together in various configurations, and there are lots of nice options if you buy two of the 71600 units. It is too hard to describe; I'll have to try to scan the specs if I can get my scanner to work. I was told they are priced at $149 each and come in light maple (medium brown, like IKEA's beech), light cherry (like a darker beech), and beech (almost blonde, like IKEA's birch).

Sorry to write so much; units with asymmetrical shelves aren't easy to describe.

lmintzer
12-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Karen,
I'm not sure if you were referring to my post, but we actually already have the Expedit. We just don't have baskets yet. But I'd still love to see your specs in case we ever do something different. You're always a wealth of information about this kind of stuff. You really do your homework! : ) Thank you!

DAKnits
12-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Karen,

I emailed you! Thanks so much!

Oh, and I found Scanbirk....

http://www.racksandstands.com/nobot/Tvilum-Scanbirk-l38-c11149-A356%7E585-A325%7E220.html

clc053103
12-10-2006, 08:52 AM
I loved the look of the Expedit shelves, but none of the size options had the dimensions I exactly needed- so I found the Closetmaid Cubeicals option. The cubes are not as large, but still a good size, and have fabric cubes (they were referenced here, found at target and also available at Lowe's) to fit.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=0&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=cubeicals

They are also available at Target- though I have not had much luck finding them in stock at the store.

They can be stacked or placed side by side using 8, 6 or 2 cube options to custom shelf an area.

ETA: I originally thought Lowe's would ship free on order over $49- but it didn't apply on this item as it can not be shipped USPS or UPS. But still a good deal if you want to pick up!

omgrown
12-27-2006, 06:51 PM
I was on the fence about getting an Expedit for our living/dining area because I wasn't sure if the cubbies would be big enough, but I think I'm going to go for it for smaller items and just put bigger things in the kids' room. Thanks everyone for so much great info and specs on the unit! Hopefully we'll have a chance to get out to Ikea soon and I'll post pics after everything is set up and looks nice (which could take a year, but I'll try!)

american_mama
01-12-2007, 02:20 AM
Here's a link with alternatives to the Expedit shelves and photos of various bins, including a spraypainted one.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=67395&mesg_id=67395&page=

american_mama
01-12-2007, 02:20 AM
Here's a link with alternatives to the Expedit shelves and photos of various bins, including a spraypainted one.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=67395&mesg_id=67395&page=

TwinsItIs
01-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I just bought the Expedit system and already fell in love with it. I didn't even put all the toys in yet, but it seems to be a great solution. I bought these baskets from Ikea

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15561&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=74344&langId=-1&categoryId=15646&chosenPartNumber=40085634

Although they don't fit exactly and are a bit smaller, I find they work very well. I filled one up with blocks, quite a lot of it and LOVE it. I like the idea that they don't take up the whole shelf, so the child can peek into it and see what's there. It looks very cute. I can take a picture once it's set up if any of you are interested.

But I see that it's not available online and I only found the blue in my Ikea. I'd LOVE to get the yellows as well, as that's my son's colors in his room. I'll have to try a different Ikea.

TwinsItIs
01-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I just bought the Expedit system and already fell in love with it. I didn't even put all the toys in yet, but it seems to be a great solution. I bought these baskets from Ikea

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15561&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=74344&langId=-1&categoryId=15646&chosenPartNumber=40085634

Although they don't fit exactly and are a bit smaller, I find they work very well. I filled one up with blocks, quite a lot of it and LOVE it. I like the idea that they don't take up the whole shelf, so the child can peek into it and see what's there. It looks very cute. I can take a picture once it's set up if any of you are interested.

But I see that it's not available online and I only found the blue in my Ikea. I'd LOVE to get the yellows as well, as that's my son's colors in his room. I'll have to try a different Ikea.

Crunchymom
01-17-2007, 04:57 AM
I also just bought a set of Expedit shelves after seeing all the pictures here. I got the small one with 8 cubbies total since I wanted to lay it on it's side so I could put all his big toys on top. I have it all set up in his room so I'll take a picture and post it soon. I love it and would love to get another one to put up vertically. It's a great toy storage solution!

imharpersmom
01-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Just wanted to let people know that I got a very similar shelf system at Big Lots a couple weeks ago. It has eight cubbies (2x4) and also has casters on the bottom. It is a dark espresso color. We actually bought two sets of them (including the floor model) for our new playroom, but since we haven't moved yet, I can't take a picture of the whole setup. The cubbies are actually taller and wider than the Expedit, but not quite as deep. I purchased a few of the Sterlite containers that were posted in another thread and they are great. The floor model is set up in DDs room right now (I'll take a pic once she is awake).
Just thought this might be another option for people without access to an Ikea. By the way, it was $50 for each shelf.

Erin