PDA

View Full Version : 2nd birthday is coming - Please help me with train tables

hudsonam
09-07-2006, 03:15 PM
ETA: I just saw that someone else already posted about trains, but as far as tables go, can I get any table, do the tables come with anything?...

I really want to get a train table for DS, and now that his birthday is approaching (in December - two days before Christmas actually), I guess I can leave it for that, since it'll be a big purchase.

He loves train tables whenever we're somewhere that has one. There was a Thomas table and track at Barnes & Noble the other day, but each train car is $10!!! Not to mention the table itself and everything else that goes with it. But if it's the best set out there, I might be willing to get it. Is there anything else I should look at? Anything by Brio, or anything by a cheaper brand? I don't really know where to start.

TIA!
Anne Marie

holliam
09-07-2006, 03:43 PM
We have the large Nilo train table and love it. It's slightly higher than other train tables and we use it for everything.

For trains, we have a mix of Ikea, Maxim, Target, Brio, and Melissa & Doug. We don't have any Thomas.

The Ikea set is a great starter if you live near one. Target has an inexpensive set too.

Lots of folks buy Thomas at AC Moore or Michaels with the 40% and 50% coupons.

Holli

icunurse
09-07-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm just starting to purchase train stuff for DS's birthday and Christmas. Besides using the 40% off coupons at Michael's, the sites www.creativetrains.com and www.trainsgalore.com have great prices and fast shipping (free, too, with certain purchases). I was able to get a train table on clearance at Target, but they do carry a newer version for $80 (doesn't come with anything). I just saw today that Walmart sells a smaller table (didn't list sizes, but maybe 30 x 30) with some track included (I think) for $50.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

DebbieJ
09-07-2006, 05:04 PM
The train table at Costco is a GREAT value for the price.

As far as trains go, Traci gave great advice. Don't ever buy anything train related from Barnes and Noble. It's way cheaper elsewhere. Try Ebay too.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

hudsonam
09-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks everyone! I just re-read my post, and I didn't really make the B&N thing clear. :) He ran right over to the set when we got there and loved playing with it. I'm not sure if they sell the tables there, but I couldn't believe how pricey the cars were. Thank you for the links and the tips. That's a huge help.