PDA

View Full Version : 6 mo old is outgrowing her bouncer, what do i use next?

susan724
09-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Are there any alternatives to exersaucers and jumperoos? They're so big and plasticy. TIA

bethie_73
09-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Well we do have an exersaucer, but DS isn't in it too much. Usually when he is interested and I need to keep him in one place :)

We have had it for 4 months now and he still uses it so I'm pretty impressed with the longevity. Otherwise, honestly we just let him be on the floor. He is crawling and pulling himself up (trying to cruise but not too successful yet ;)

We have just baby proofed as much as possible and gotten a superplay yard for when mommy is super tired and needs a bit of a break ;)

Sorry I"m not much help. DS is so active he doesn't like to stay in one thing to long.

Momof3Labs
09-09-2006, 12:45 PM
We put DS2 in the PNP with a few toys or in the high chair when we need to "park" him somewhere safe.

KentuckyRK
09-09-2006, 01:49 PM
>Are there any alternatives to exersaucers and jumperoos?
>They're so big and plasticy. TIA

We have the Fisher Price Infant to Toddler Rocker and LOVE it...
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-2/qid=1157827446/ref=sr_1_2/602-0617951-0513404?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0002ZOI9W

Connor who is turning two next week still loves to climb around on it and will sometimes sit and rock (I think he's a little too active to sit for long) and we put the new baby in using both the kickstand and the rocker (bundled in blankets) and she falls right to sleep.

I think it would work great for a 6 month old, especially if he/she liked the bouncer and though I haven't personally used it for that age yet I plan to with Caydence.

It's about the same size as a bouncer, just a bit bigger.

If you are interested, they have them at Target, BRU, and Kmart for around $35... Kmart has it on sale for $25 in store through today as I just purchased one for a friend this week.

Good Luck!
~Rachel

new_mommy25
09-09-2006, 01:49 PM
I usually put DD on the floor on a blanket with a few toys. Otherwise we love the FP infant to Toddler rocker. Ruby loves to grab the toys and make the music play. And since it goes to 40 pounds, my three year old can sit in it too.

susan724
09-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks everyone - we do have a playard that she likes to be in, its a pain to move around but i like her to be aable to move. We have 2 big dogs so i get nervous just leaving her on the floor unless i'm right there at her side. She really loves to be up at counter height in her bouncer, but i guess i'll have to give that up anyway as she is growing....

BeachBum
09-10-2006, 10:00 AM
At 6 months my son was sitting by himself, and enjoyed playing with toys I had nearby. He didn't crawl for another 6 weeks or so, so I didn't feel the need to "contain" him at all at this stage. Floor time is essential to muscle development, and it encourages them to want to crawl. Rolling and scooting to get toys just out of reach is important too.
I think if the dogs are keeping you from leaving her alone on the floor than you need to find another solution for them.

We used a swing with DS until he was about 4 mo. After that we used an exersaucer sparingly (while I showered, or some other chore). I guess I'm just of the camp that free movement is good for kids. The saucer and jumparoo are "big and plastic" but the kid is only in them for a few minutes a day. My son really liked the exersaucer toys, and once he could stand on his own he would stand on the outside of the saucer and and still play with them.

The bumbo seat, will kind of "trap" you kid and let them sit on the counter, if that is specifically what you are looking for. My son immediately learned how to climb out so it didnt work for us. But they seem to work for a lot of people.

MommyAllison
09-10-2006, 08:46 PM
My DD was sitting alone and crawling at 6 months so spent lots of time on the floor. I think any other option to contain/keep your DD safe will be pretty short lived as she will want to be down exploring more and more as she gets older. So, hopefully there is a way to put your dogs outside or in another room while your DD hangs out on the floor? Not sure what your situation is like (fenced backyard or not, etc) but I would try that, along with very supervised time for your dogs to learn how to interact with your DD. Reality is that someday, somehow, your DD will probably end up in a situation where she is unexpectedly alone with the dogs, and if they can get along, obviously that's best.

Another option is to wear your DD in a pouch/sling/carrier of some kind. It would keep her up at your height, safe, and with lots to look at, while letting you have your hands back!

Hugs and good luck - I know it can be hard with pets and DC! Obviously, take my advice with a grain of salt since I don't know the details of the situation.

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png[/img][/url]

bethie_73
09-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Your post made me laugh because before DS none of my friends kids had climbed out of the Bumbo... but DS did right away.

He also loves playing with the exersaucer toys from the outside now, but I agree with others that an exersaucer may not have too much life left in it now.

Momof3Labs
09-11-2006, 07:11 AM
>The bumbo seat, will kind of "trap" you kid and let them sit
>on the counter, if that is specifically what you are looking
>for. My son immediately learned how to climb out so it didnt
>work for us. But they seem to work for a lot of people.

I wouldn't trust a 6mo in a Bumbo, particularly placed at countertop height. My DS could launch himself out of it at 4mo.

DrSally
09-11-2006, 09:31 AM
I agree. I would even sit by DS whenever he was in the princelionheart Bumbo knockoff b/c several reviewers on Amazon said they can tip over and hit their head on the floor (we have wood floors). We actually didn't get too much use out of it b/c DS didn't like the restriction and his thighs are very big :) We call them his porkchops.