PDA

View Full Version : How to neutralize old house smells?

LBMommy
09-09-2006, 03:53 PM
We just bought a new house (well, it's 80 yrs old but new to us!) and there are several rooms and closets that have distinctive "smells" - the worst being the previous owner's perfume. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of these smells? We've had the windows & drawers on the built-ins open for two weeks and been using Oust & Method air fresheners, but it just lingers...

Would cedar chips help? Where do I find stuff like that? (couldn't find them at Target)

Thanks everyone!!!
Jen
Mommy to Avery 8/23/04

britchick
09-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Well when we moved into our house it smelled realy strongly of floor varnish>We used a few open bowls of white vineger out on top of things and that worked..not sure if it might work for you but it might be worth a try.

katerinasmom
09-09-2006, 11:12 PM
We moved into a 50 year old home three years ago. The previous owner had been there since it was built and was now being moved to a nursing home. She never opened the windows and it the house really smelled like (I hate to say and don't want to be mean) but like an old person. The first thing we did was remove all the old carpets and draperies, refinished the hardwood floors (that were hiding beneath 20 year old mustard yellow carpet) and paint every room, closet, nook and cranny. It helped tremendously.

BeachBum
09-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Painting will help a lot. Have the carpets professionally cleaned (or replace them).

For a "quick fix", I have also had really good experiences with Lamp Berger.

mommysammi
09-10-2006, 03:05 PM
I've heard the carbon charcoal works. These aren't the bbq charcoals but the charcoals used in cat litter boxes. I haven't tried it yet but will in a couple of months. You can find bags of these at Target's, Wal-marts, or any pet store.

LBMommy
09-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be trying them all!!! Fortunately, it's all hardwood (no carpet) or I'm sure it would be worse...

Jen
Mommy to Avery 8/23/04

jvs195
09-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Personally cedar chips always smell like hamster cage to me so I avoid them (but you can find all kinds of cedar products at Linens N Things, container store etc...) Have you tried febreze? Or you could also try a bunch of the refrigerator baking sodas in closets etc... I have also had good luck with DampRid for musty smells if you have those. I don't know if sented drawer liners would just add to the smell but also an option.

tjham
09-15-2006, 12:12 AM
I bought a old beautiful solid wood dresser at a thrift store and when I got it home, I discovered it stunk like old cigarettes. (I don't know why I didn't notice it before.) I bought some of this stuff, Odorzout:

http://www.88stink.com/

I sprinkled it in all drawers and inside areas and let it sit for a few days and then did it again. I don't remember how long it took but there is NO odor now.

Available here:

http://www.88stink.com/where_to_buy.html