PDA

View Full Version : How do your DC play with their sand/water table?

Sweetpea972
09-10-2006, 12:12 PM
I know this may be a really silly question but my DD seems totally bored by her water/sand table. I wanted to show her some new things she could do with the table to keep her interested and occupied. She's 22 months old and we have a sand/water table combo and a separate water only table too. We live in warm weather year round so I'd like her to get more use out of them. We have very very little yard space so these toys are all I can have outdoors. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!! :)

shburks
09-10-2006, 01:35 PM
We live in Hawaii, so I understand the year-round warm weather. DS loves his sand and water table. Many times I only have him use the sand side though as once water comes into the mix, it really turns messy!!

We put all sorts of sand toys in the sand side. There are small buckets, shovels, rakes, etc. Sometimes there are just cups so he can pour from one to the others. He uses the shovels to scoop up sand and put it into the various cups.

For the water side, it's basically the same thing--cups to pour, etc. Sometimes we add some boats that float or some toys that usually go in the bath--the ones that you squeeze and suck up water? Oh, and a watering can. That's probably his favorite water toy!! (Also loves it in the baby pool!!)

For sand you could also add small animals--like plastic animals--if she's starting to pretend play. They could romp through the sand. Or maybe small plastic cars or vehicles that scoop and dump sand.

I don't know how helpful that is.

Susan

elliput
09-10-2006, 03:32 PM
I pretty much let DD do what she wants. Our s/w table came with some toys (boats, pots, scoop) and I added others (sieve, rake, bigger scoop). She likes to pour water in the sand and sand in the water, which is just fine with me. DD hasn't quite gotten the hang of combining the sand and water in order to build sandcastles yet, but I am sure she will like that idea next summer (we don't live in a year round usage area). She dumps quite a bit of sand on the ground too and likes to splash in the water when I empty the resevoir. I figure she is enjoying herself and gaining some wonderful sensory experiences (secretly I am wanting to splash in the puddle too!).

MarisaSF
09-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Some kids just might not be as into them as others?
My DD has loved her water table since we got it around her first birthday, but some toys that other kids love she does not love.

We use ours year-round too. Some things she likes about it:
1. It's in the shade.
2. It's right outside the door so she can play with it even if I'm inside.
3. She likes to fill it up with water from the hose.
4. The water tower/water wheel. She seems to enjoy dumping water into the top and seeing what it does on the way out. This is the one we have so you can see the water wheel: http://www.amazon.com/Step-2-Waterwheel-Play-Table/dp/B000641DPQ/sr=8-1/qid=1157921094/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8173097-2408829?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games
I know I've seen water and sand wheels for individual sale.
5. Cups, balls, squirt toys are favorite accessories.
6. When she was smaller she liked to sit in it herself.

For the sand table -- how about burying objects in the sand and going on a "treasure hunt"? Coins, shells, rocks, etc.

kijip
09-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Ours rapidly became a mud table and then T would start begging to get washed off...and then right after getting washed off go back in the mud. I got tired for this particular cycle and the sand/water table is in storage right now at grandma's. :P

holliam
09-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Ours is on our screen porch and we actually filled it with aquarium gravel rather than sand. It's easier to clean up, doesn't get gross with water, and it wasn't that expensive. But, it's little stones so some kids could eat them, and mine has a tendency to throw them in the air. They're small though so don't hurt and are a lot less messy than sand. :)

Holli