PDA

View Full Version : Ages for wooden kitchens

bwbutters
09-12-2006, 02:44 PM
I've noticed that many of the wooden kitchens say ages 3 and up. Why is that? My DD is just turning one and we'd like to get her a kitchen for Christmas. I know that 15 months is kind of young but we don't want to wait until she's 2. She plays with a Little Tikes kitchen at daycare (she goes 2 days a week) and seems to enjoy it. We thought a kitchen would be a good Christmas gift that she could enjoy for several years.

I've begun to research the wooden ones and started getting concerned by the recommended ages. Is 15 months just too young for this kind of gift?

holliam
09-12-2006, 02:58 PM
I think it's because of the height of most of them and perhaps the size of the pretend play food. Or, because most kids don't really get into pretend play until 2+.

But, we've had one since about 17 months, and she has played with it daily since then, 7 months later!

Holli

new_mommy25
09-12-2006, 03:23 PM
I don't think 15 months is too young though they really don't get into pretend play until they are much older.

I would buy the kitchen, a few pots and pans, and some bigger pieces of food like the ones from Nova Natural or the dry good set from M&D. They are less of a choking hazard.

Then you can add on to the kitchen by buying more food and accesories for Christmas' and Birthdays or whenever you see a good deal. As your DD gets older she will stop mouthing things and will also tell you what pieces she wants you to buy.

Beth568
09-12-2006, 05:21 PM
I think the age recommendation comes because of small pieces like knobs, etc, that can be choking hazards for little ones.

My DD got her kitchen for Christmas when she was 15 months, and she and/or her sister have used it practically every day since!

brittone2
09-12-2006, 09:14 PM
DS started using his around 15-16 months as well. He mostly had fun opening/closing the doors, turning the knobs and exploring. He took things in and out of the refrigerator portion, etc. Since that time, his play has greatly expanded with it. He started enjoying it more and more around 18-24 months, and now at 2.5 his pretend play has expanded even more. He is *really* into it now and will play for a longer period of time and much more elaborately.

luvmypeanut
09-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Your DD will not be too young. My DS played with is sister's kitchen from the time he could pull himself up. He would bang on pots, play with the food and basically do what he saw his sister do. In fact, they would fight over it and he would make a beeline for it when she wasn't in the room. Now that he's older he still hasn't lost interest.