PDA

View Full Version : Did you use a diaper genie/champ OR did you end up using a regular pail?

Heidi9771
09-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Do these special diaper pails work? Is it just easier to get a regular rubbermaid pail with lid?

nfowife
09-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Ewww, I would not use a regular rubbermaid pail unless you were doing cloth and there was some sort of solution it was soaking in. We have the Neat system and are very happy, no stink! That said, you don't really need anything for the first few months of EBF, their poop really doesn't smell bad until you start solids!

madelinesmom
09-13-2006, 04:57 PM
We use the Diaper Dekor Plus. We bought it when DD1 was born and are using it with DD2. We are really happy with it...
Jane
Madeline and Emily's Mom
1/20/03 11/29/05

sue_g
09-13-2006, 08:22 PM
I have two diaper champs and with twins I get a lot of use out of them. I would highly recommend buying one. It is also great, because you can just use regular garbage bags.

sdoyle
09-13-2006, 08:55 PM
I second Sue's vote. We also have the Champ and love it. You can use any bag with it. I actually use the big target shopping bags. They are just the right size for the can and they are FREE!

punkrockmama
09-13-2006, 10:07 PM
No way would I use a regular garbage pail. You'd be stinked bombed out of there. My son was EBF and while it wasn't super foul, it was worse than what I had read it would be. And once they start solids, forget about it.

Another vote for the diaper champ. Easy to use, does the job, and takes regular garbage bags. I already buy the kind with odor shield so there ya go.

table4three
09-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Another vote for diaper champ. we put all diapers in there while ebf, but when he started solids at 6 mo the poopy ones went directly to the main garbage outside and only wet ones in the champ.

i think some kind of diaper pail system (champ, genie, whatever) is necessary not only for the stink factor but to keep your older baby/toddler out of it. ds tries and tries but still can't open the champ.

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

crl
09-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Guess I'm the dissenter here. We never used a special diaper pail at all. All poopy diapers are disposed of in a plastic grocery sack, which is tied off and taken to the outside garbage promptly (often immediately). Works for us. (DS is over 3 years old now.)

KrisM
09-14-2006, 06:07 AM
We mostly use cloth, for which a normal trash can with lid is perfectly fine (no solution necessary). But, for the ocassional disosible, we just toss in our normal trash can. We don't save poop. We put it in the toilet and flush it. That takes away a whole lot of the stink!

Canna
09-14-2006, 08:09 AM
We just used a regular trash can for the first 6 months or so when DD was EBF. We wrap her diapers up and tape them up tight with their own tabs, take out the trash every other day or so and we never found it stinky at all.

When she started solids we THOUGHT we needed a diaper genie and got one. The thing is a pain! We didn't like using it, plus it seemed to GENERATE stink! Emptying it out was really annoying. So we abandoned it.

Now we just put DD's diapers, wrapped up tight with their own tabs, into our garbage in the kitchen. We don't find this stinky at all. It is so simple too as there are no extra steps other than dropping the diaper in the garbage and then taking out the trash as we would anyway.

DH and I both think that the special diaper pails are like some kind of scam...they encourage you to keep diapers around longer than you otherwise would (because you wait until the pail is full), plus they keep the diapers festering in a dark, air-tight container getting extra stinky. Then when you empty the container you think, "WOW! This is stinky! Thank goodness I have this Diaper Container to protect us from the horrible stink!" When really the diaper container is the REASON for the stink!

I do wonder if maybe they ar more practical for formula fed babies? I have noticed that my nephew (on some kind of crazy formula, maybe soy or one of those pre-digested goops) has insanely stinky poop that you can smell from across two rooms. So maybe then it wouldn't be practical to put in the regular trash? But I still think you'd really need to empty the diaper-whatever every day for it to be effective and not fester.

Jen841
09-14-2006, 08:44 AM
DH has "dog nose" and I do when I am pregnant. Diaper Genie is the only way we could not smell a diaper in the room. We lived in places where outside disposal was not easy, so we needed safe non-stinky place in the room to dispose of diapers. We are 100% firm beleivers in the Diaper Genie. I confess to being frugal, and my luxary is diaper genie refills!

Jen841
09-14-2006, 08:44 AM
DH has "dog nose" and I do when I am pregnant. Diaper Genie is the only way we could not smell a diaper in the room. We lived in places where outside disposal was not easy, so we needed safe non-stinky place in the room to dispose of diapers. We are 100% firm beleivers in the Diaper Genie. I confess to being frugal, and my luxary is diaper genie refills!

brownlesa
09-14-2006, 09:57 AM
We just use a regular trashcan w/a lid. The lid closes tight and I always close it immediately. I also throw a dryer sheet inside the trashcan (between the pail and the trash bag). It works great for us. I don't think it stinks and it is cheap and easy.

Leslie
DD 9/13/05

scoop22
09-14-2006, 10:53 AM
we use the diaper champ and we really like it. when dh was a newborn we couln't smell a thing until we changed the bag.. as he started more into solids it is ok. we just have to change it more often. I still would use a diaper system instead of a regular diaper pail unless you take your garbage out often and have a place for it.

scoop22
09-14-2006, 10:54 AM
oops ds not dh

GaPeachInCA
09-14-2006, 12:30 PM
>DH and I both think that the special diaper pails are like
>some kind of scam...they encourage you to keep diapers around
>longer than you otherwise would (because you wait until the
>pail is full), plus they keep the diapers festering in a dark,
>air-tight container getting extra stinky. Then when you empty
>the container you think, "WOW! This is stinky! Thank
>goodness I have this Diaper Container to protect us from the
>horrible stink!" When really the diaper container is the
>REASON for the stink!

I totally agree with this!

We've never had a diaper pail and never missed one and DS is almost 2! There's a hook on the wall next to his changing table, so I just hang one of those little blue diaper sacks on there. If it's just pee diapers, I'll put them in there until it fills up (4-5 diapers). If it's a extra stinky dipe, it will go in the bag and it will get knotted up and taken out to the trash the next time we go out. Our trash cans are right next to the garage, so it's not any extra work to take a diaper out.

Oh, and once DS had "real" poo, we started dumping it into the toilet. Really cuts down on any stink!

HHCs Mom
09-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Diaper Champ all the way! Now that DS is over 2, we put the poopy diapers in a plastic grocery bag (good way to reuse them!) and put it in the outside trash. I feel so sorry for our garbage man on collection day... :(

Friends of ours used a regular garbage can and their DS's room smelled to high heaven. It was disgusting! Smelled like someone had peed all over the floor in there. YUCK!!!!

Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ 4.6.04

tarahsolazy
09-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Yep, poop goes in the toilet and is flushed, which takes away the stink right away! We use sposies mornings for pre-school, and if he poops in one before he gets changed back to CDs, I just dump it in the toilet, and put the dipe in the garage garbage can immediately.

Most people that use cloth don't soak their diapers in any liquid anymore, either. I just dump the poop, spray off the dipe if needed, and drop it into a waterproof bag in a regular garbage can with a lid. No stink.

mhanscom
09-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Diaper Genie at first, but then we just used the regurlar trash in the kitchen and take it our every day. Nothing controls the stink!

punkrockmama
09-14-2006, 08:40 PM
>
>We don't save poop.

You know, I never thought about it that way. We use disposibles so it never occured to me to dump and flush. Makes me feel gross for just tossing the full diaper in the champ. Just the thought of "saving" poo, ewwww.

Something to think about. Thank you.

mommysammi
09-15-2006, 04:18 PM
When DS was born, we were living in a tiny one-bedrm apt so we got the diaper Champ. it worked really well. we now live in a huge house and just use a regular garbage can. we just put the poopie dipes in a plastic grocery bag before tossing it and that concealed the scent.

KrisM
09-15-2006, 09:04 PM
FWIW, when we use disposibles, I don't scrape into the toilet, but I shake off what I can, or use toilet paper to sort of pull it off. It's not bad. With cloth, I use flushable liners that make it really easy.

I figure I don't save mine, why would I save his? :) :)

smilla653
09-16-2006, 05:30 AM
We have a Diaper Dekor. We like it, but we use cloth diapers and a washable liner inside of it.

As for poopy diapers, yup, as some of the PPs mentioned, actually *everyone* (including sposie users) is supposed to be flushing solid waste down the toilet rather than throwing it in the trash.

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2006, 09:29 PM
We are out of diaper land now but we never bothered with a diaper system. We had a cloth diaper service the first 15 months and we just put the diaper in the bin they provided and they took it all away every week. After that we used disposables and a regular, lidded can. Now, the room never smelled bad but I had to later ditch the trash can because it just reeked no matter how I cleaned it.

I really found that flushing the solid waste made all the difference! My mom had been doing that all along but I didn't do it for some reason. What a mistake. I really think if you flush the poop you will not need a diaper pail.

Beth