PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding dinner table toy for 2-yr old

mommysammi
09-14-2006, 10:32 AM
DS doesn't like to sit and doodle while we eat. Not so much of a problem when we're at home but eating out has been a challenge. What we end up doing is take turns taking him outside the restaurant while the other eats. Kind of defeats the purpose of dining out together.

I'm looking for something not too big and with minimal amount of small parts as DS loves to throw things. Something that isn't loud so other patrons won't be bothered. And, something that'll occupy DS for a good half an hour. Does this thing exist? Please help. TIA.

ett
09-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Here are some things we have to entertain DS when we're out eating:
stickers
Thomas trains
small board books

I know you said that your DS doesn't like to doodle but have you tried a magnadoodle? Crayons and paper never seem to occupy my DS very long in restaurants either, but he can draw with the magnadoodle for a much longer period of time.

crl
09-14-2006, 12:04 PM
We had some luck with Baby Einsteins travel flashcards at that age. They are on a ring, which makes them more manageable.

I second the magnadoodle suggestion, for some reason that went over better than crayons.

Matchbox cars are really easy to take along and sometimes we got a little mileage out of driving them around the plates, etc on the table. (But they can be thrown. . . .)

And DS always got fruit leather or some other small snack while we waited for our food.

GaPeachInCA
09-14-2006, 12:21 PM
We eat out a lot, so I have a variety of things in my bag.

Currently I have:
Magnetic funny face set
Color wonder markers & paper
Variety of stickers and sticker book (small notebook he puts stickers in)
Book with tabs
Selection of small books
Small airplane/robot transformer

Other things I have swapped in:
Finger puppets
Regular coloring book/crayons
Play dough

I find that each item really only lasts about 5 minutes tops, so it's important for me to have a variety.

Once the food comes, DS is usually fine. He doesn't get his own meal, but we get him a plate & fork and give him whatever food we think he might like. And he always loves to drink some water out of the glass! :D

kristenk
09-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Just in case your son is the same way, I thought I'd mention this. DD doesn't care much for crayons, but give her a pen and she's in heaven. I try to bring along plain paper, stickers, and pens (a fun activity is to draw circles on the page and then ask DC to put stickers in the circles - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't), but my main toy cache for restaurants is Playmobil people with accompanying dog, horse, and unicorn. Did you know you can turn a princess' skirt upside-down and it magically transforms into a boat that the pirate can use? LOL I try to buy the little packs at Target that come with a person and some accessories. I open them all up before she sees them so that I can remove anything I don't want her to have for whatever reason.

marie
09-14-2006, 06:24 PM
we received these at a restaurant recently as part of a kiddie meal:

http://www.wikkistix.com/

i had never seen them before and i thought they were cool and different.

good luck!

mommysammi
09-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Thank you for all of the suggestions. We've tried most of these except for the stickers. I'll get some stickers and sticker books and see how that works out. Thanks again.

Raidra
09-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Our tried and true restaurant activity is index cards. I buy packages of cheap unlined ones, and we do all sorts of things with them. We draw people on them and have him put on a puppet show. We fold them up into airplanes (they don't fly far). Or you can fold them into a boat and put your puppets in. Turn them into telescopes. Whatever we can think of. :)

kboyle
09-17-2006, 10:32 AM
i've seen these around, but never got any, i may have to pick some up next time i see them.

what resturant uses them as a kiddie prize?

ETA: we use hot wheels, playmobil guys, charlie plays his leapster, max really just screams till the food comes, it comes with the territory of bringing kids to resturants ;)

the boys have been going out since birth though, so they are fairly well -behaved when we eat out. and we DEFINATELY order the kids meal when we order drinks so that it comes out first. ask for bread if they offer it so that he can munch. ask for tons of straws, that keeps them busy for a bit.

it's bad, but when charlie is really being bad in a resturant i'll give him a sucker till the food comes, he sits still...quietly, and it doesn't fill him up before the food comes. but again, my boys are used to it, and willingly give it back when the food comes. others may fight to keep sucking....my kids like food, to them, candy is just OK.

holliam
09-17-2006, 11:50 AM
We actually don't bring anything with us, and Mari does really well. We used to order her food first but now that she is older (2) she does better if she eats at the same time as us so we all order together.

We mostly sing songs and talk while waiting.

Holli