PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera for diaper bag

mtrattner
09-14-2006, 04:10 PM
We have a camera but it is a few years old and the new ones are now so small. I still want a good quality camera but smaller. The one we have now adds a lot of weight to the diaper bag. Plus if it can be put in DH's pocket or mine then that is great too because we are easing off the diaper bag.

Thanks for your opinions.

supercalifragilous
09-14-2006, 06:59 PM
We have the Canon SD500 and I absolutely LOVE it. (I also have a Canon EOS Rebel SLR and a Canon G6.) I use it the most out of all the cameras b/c it fits in my pocket and diaper bag.

However, right after we bought it, the SD550 came out and that one is the same exact camera, only the LCD screen is 0.5" bigger. It's quite a difference, so I would recommend that one instead.

A good place to do some research and side-by-side comparisons on digital cameras is www.dpreview.com.

HTH!

Tondi G
09-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Canon Powershot SD550 digital Elph! 7.1MP and pretty quick. Takes great pics! super compact! We've had it for almost a year and we love it!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

mtrattner
09-14-2006, 07:55 PM
I actually have an older Canon and we generally like it but Dh isn't happy with the battery life. How are the new Canons with their battery life?

Also I see that there is the Canon SD600 and SD700. Is it worth the money? I looked a bit on Amazon.

We are generally fans of Canon or Olympus.

Thanks again!

:) Melanie

fauve01
09-15-2006, 12:45 AM
I just got the SD700 a couple months ago (when i dropped my older, bigger canon powershot s50) and i LOVELOVELOVE it!! it is so amazing. i picked the 700 because it is the only supercompact canon with image stabilization. i had read at some of the camera review sites that image stabilization is an important feature on the tiny cameras--something about since the camera is tiny more of the pics will turn out. anyway, i haven't tried any of the other elf sizes so i don't really know how those cameras are, and if this model is better, but my pics with the sd700 are really great.

btw, i bought mine from costco.com because of their great return policy.

ETA: i forgot to comment on the battery life. i've never had mine run out. i do just recharge every week or so, and i also have an extra battery charged and ready just in case, as another poster recommended.

hth~
Anne + DD 10-03

wencit
09-15-2006, 01:25 AM
>I actually have an older Canon and we generally like it but
>Dh isn't happy with the battery life. How are the new Canons
>with their battery life?

One of the best recommendations I received when I bought my SD550 was to purchase another battery. That way, I always had a backup ready if my current battery needed recharging. No missed baby shots there!

>Also I see that there is the Canon SD600 and SD700. Is it
>worth the money? I looked a bit on Amazon.

My dad just bought the SD630 from buydig.com for $315 and loves it. I'm a little annoyed because I bought my SD550 for $330 just 9 months ago. Ah, the joys of technology! :)

momtogrant
09-15-2006, 10:19 AM
We got the SD700 2 months ago and it is amazing. I am capturing such good pics that my old Sony would never get. The image stabilization makes all the difference in catching the action shots of a busy toddler. Also, the battery life is very long. Also, the video is pretty good for a little camera.
Good luck camera hunting.

miki
09-15-2006, 10:39 PM
I have last year's version of this Casio Exilim: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11110484&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&N=4001459%204294966797&Mo=2&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=

It's smaller than a man's wallet and the pictures are great. There is no limit to the length of video you can take except for the space on the memory card. And there is a preset for pictures with kids that works beautifully. I take so many more pictures because I can just slip it into my back pocket.