PDA

View Full Version : Leapster or V-Tech

josephsmom
09-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Hi, all. I'm starting to think about b'day and Hanukkah gifts for DS, who will be turning 5. Does anyone have opinions about the Leapster and V-Tech systems? Which do you prefer and why? TIA!

Helene
Mommy to Joseph, 12/29/01

schums
09-15-2006, 11:25 AM
LOVE the leapster. We have the l-max which plugs into the TV, which is nice, but it's not a make or break thing for me (it was cheap on clearance, so I bought the L-max). Can't speak to the v-tech system at all. DS and DD both love the leapster, and play it very regularly. There are a ton of games, all educational, and you can find used ones pretty reasonably on ebay. Costco has a holiday pack right now with the l-max leapster and one game (either Dora or Backyardigans -- both are very good, we have them) for $79 (I think, might be $70), which is a good price. The unit is usually $89-$99 and the games are about $25.

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

egoldber
09-15-2006, 01:07 PM
We have the Leapster and DD loves it. Ours is the plain Leapster, not the LMax version, and I don't miss the LMax feature. The advatage is that the Leapster only games are cheaper, the LMax ones are a little more expensive.

I don't know anything about the VTech.

schums
09-15-2006, 02:35 PM
You can use all the Leapster games on either the plain Leapster or the L-Max. And I *think* you can use the L-max games on the regular leapster, you just don't get the "extras" that can only be played when hooked up to the TV.

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

egoldber
09-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Yes, you can use both type games on both. But if you only have a regular Leapster, then there's no need to buy LMax games (unless you want to) and the non-LMax games are slightly cheaper. :)

Tondi G
09-15-2006, 04:22 PM
we have a Leapster for our 5 year old and he LOVES it! he's actually had it for a couple of years but now he is really into it! He actually just saw the new L-max and asked why he has the old one! LOL

I highly recommend it and also the little carrying case.... ours has taken some spills in the case and doesn't have a mark on it! The back pocket is great for keeping the cartridges together!

http://www.leapfrog.com/do/findproduct;jsessionid=C2BD1CB0C1EEE3363F393C177BD 0602C.papp1_1?ageGroupKey=preschool&key=leapstercase

oh and he LOVES the Kindergarten cartridge and also just got a new Cars one that he likes as well! The drawing one seems to be fun for him too! Oh and Thomas too!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

josephsmom
09-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks, all. The Cars and Thomas games are big draws for Joseph as well! I just wanted to see if I might be missing anything if I overlooked the V-Tech. Thanks again!

~Helene
Mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

josephsmom
09-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks, Beth. And, BTW...I don't hang out here much anymore, so I'm not sure when you returned with your big news, but I just want you to know how happy I am for you and that I'm praying for you.

Helene
Mommy to Joseph, 12/29/01

egoldber
09-17-2006, 06:29 AM
Thank you. :)

kboyle
09-17-2006, 10:26 AM
my mom got the leapster for charlie for xmas last year (he was 2.5 at the time) and he LOVES it, it took him awhile to figure anything out, but now he carts it around constantly, it's a must-bring when we leave the house! i didn't want the lmax because if he REALLY liked it on the TV, then we (mom & dad) were the ones who suffered, because not only would he be playing his games, but we'd have to see it on the TV too!

we've got:
The Letter Factory (he LOVED the DVD, and this is the movie PLUS a game or two that incorporates with the the movie)

The Talking Words Factory (same as above, with the movie, and then a few games)

Letters on The Loose (L-max game, same family of games as above, teaches you how to write letters...a little harder since he doesn't use the stylus & uses his fingers instead and it doesn't pick up his touch as well when tracing the letters)

Dora the Explorer (it uses the directional buttons alot and he's just recently figured this game out, but i think it's great!

From playing the Talking Words game he's starting to put 3 letter words together and sound them out and recognize the words!

WE LOVE THE LEAPSTER.

my SIL was thinking of getting a Vtech thing for charlie for xmas since it would be a different variety of games opposed to the leapster, but i think i'm gonna have her just get him a few leapster games instead.

i'm thinking that next year for max's bday i'll probably get a pocket vtech or whatever they are called (the handheld) so that they'll have diff variety of games/characters to play with.

The next games that i want to get are:
Animal genius (not really sure what it's about, but hey, my kid likes animals, and i'm sure it'll keep him busy!)

Thomas Tank game

luckily my neice has TONS of games in K level and up that she no longer plays with (she's in 3rd grade) so once we get passed the preschool stuff, we're set on games!