PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with shower situation...

FirstOneInMarch
09-14-2006, 08:48 PM
We are moving to a small house with one bathroom - and this bathroom only has a shower (no tub). I'm used to giving my 18 month old a bath in a regular tub with several inches of water (with my intense supervision of course). She loves splashing in the water and playing with her many tub toys. Now that we are moving, she'll have no tub. We still have her infant tub (that she barely fits - one made for up to age 2) that we can put in the shower stall. My mom says start giving her showers now. We have the opportunity to replace the shower with a tub/shower combo since we haven't moved in yet. Do we do it? Or what are some other suggestions?!?! Please help!!

Thanks!!
Cindy

Beth568
09-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Well, if you can manage to replace it with a tub/shower combo, I might do that. It's nice to have the option. I think you could probably safely give a child that age showers (I've done it with my younger DD from time to time), but little ones love their play time in the tub so much that I'd hate to give that up. And, I have to admit, on some long days when weather keeps us inside, I just let my kids take long baths in the middle of the day when we can't come up with anything else to do. Playing beach or swimming pool in the tub (get in with your swimsuit, goggles, snorkel, whatever) works really well for us. ;)

Unless it's a real financial stretch for you to replace the shower, or if it means a huge hassle in tearing apart the bathroom, I'd do it. Probably a good investment in the house long term, anyway.

holliam
09-14-2006, 09:10 PM
We give our daughter the choice of a bath or shower (with us) daily and she almost universally chooses a shower. I convince her to do a bath at least once a week so she gets a good soaking. I guess I like the option of doing both, but we definitely do more showers than baths these days (she's 2).

Holli

punkrockmama
09-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Yeah, if you can, put a tub in. Not only for your DD but for you guys too. It's a good option to have and I think it would be good for your house value in the long run too.

Tondi G
09-15-2006, 04:32 PM
I would put in a tub shower combo if you can swing it! I can't imagine not having a bathtub... especially if you are thinking of having another baby in the future! My 2 kiddos love to have baths together!

edited to add that you could try a snugtub too unless that is what you already have!:) ) http://www.amazon.com/Kel-Gar-Snug-Tub-Deluxe/dp/B00081L2NU

Good luck
~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

brittone2
09-16-2006, 10:27 AM
I'd say you can do without possibly. You may decide you really need one though.

We used a Eurotub (Eurobath?) with DS until he was sitting really well, and then he started sitting in the regular tub (9ish months). He was actually fine w/ showering w/ me as long as the water wasn't hitting him in the face.

For a while he boycotted showers, but he likes them now. He's 2.5 and has been showering pretty regularly with us since 20ish months. He sometimes prefers a bath, sometimes a shower. Often he likes to shower with me and then I fill the tub with a little water and he does a little bath afterwards while I get ready/dressed.

You could always try without initially and see how it goes before investing in a tub. Also, a Eurobath could probably accomodate a toddler if you set it in your shower, but that might be too much of a PITB.

I'm hoping DS will like taking baths with his baby sister once she arrives :)

emilyf
09-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Both of my kids love showers-and rarely get in the bath. I do like having the option of a tub, but I love my large walk-in shower and wouldn't trade it for a tub/shower combo if that was the only option. If the shower that's there is nice-roomy with a tile floor-I'd keep it.
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

MommyAllison
09-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I would also put in the tub/shower combo. DD hates showers (though I take her in once in awhile when she *needs* to get clean, but so do I, and we don't have time for bath & shower) and loves her baths. We also use the bathtub as an activity when DD is bored and cranky. :)

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png[/img][/url]

FirstOneInMarch
09-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the input. We took the plunge and did the shower/tub combo. The tub is extra deep and the shower surround has lots of cubbies so it'll suffice for now. I still can't wait until we build our new house - then I can get a jaccuzi tub with a separate shower!!

aa2mama
09-18-2006, 06:13 PM
If you can and you want to go ahead and put in the shower/tub combo, especially if you'll be having more kids. But I thought I'd chime in and say that my DS has been taking showers since about that age. He refused to sit down in the bathtub for baths, so we switched to showers. We got a nonskid mat to put in the bottom of the tub, and he quite happily splashes around in the water.

ETA: As a bath-lover myself, I think I would want a tub for *me*!