PDA

View Full Version : "Responsibilities" chart

mom to little e
09-15-2006, 08:32 AM
I would love to find a cute "responsibilities" chart related to getting ready in the morning - potty - wash hands - brush teeth - comb hair, etc.

Any one have something like this? I have one that came with some Kandoo coupons but it is just paper and is getting kind of trashed now.

TIA!
Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

Lynnie
09-15-2006, 10:48 AM
I'd like something like that too.

If I had the time and the know how, it could be fun to try to make. Take digital pictures of DC doing each task (although maybe just a shot of the potty by itself), and use some photo program to put all the morning tasks on one side of a piece of paper, with a bright yellow sun on top, and the other side with a moon with all the evening tasks. Then laminate it. I wonder if laminate could be marked on with an erasable marker ? Then you could check off each task every day of the week.

Perhaps when I have grandkids I'll have the time and ability to do something like that.

In the meanwhile, if you find a chart you can buy, please share. I'll do the same !

neeter
09-15-2006, 11:16 AM
I found a wood one with magnets from Target - I think it was about $7-10. You can fill the spaces in on what you want the responsibility to be, or they have magnets already made up for some chores. I think its similar to the M&D one (but its only one piece, not two like it seems on this photo)...

http://www.farmgoodsforkids.com/c5740-child-magnetic-responsibility-chart.html

kboyle
09-15-2006, 11:58 AM
here's one that was posted on mommies with style. thought it was pretty cute:
http://teacupsandtadpoles.com/osCommerce1/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=732
http://teacupsandtadpoles.com/osCommerce1/catalog/images/good_habits.jpg

niccig
09-15-2006, 04:26 PM
A friend made a big candyland game. Her DD is nearly 4 and has 5 responsibilities each day, for each one she does she gets a sticker and uses it to advance 1 square. 2 timeouts in a day = removal of 1 sticker. They've only had to do that once. At certain intervals around the game, there are prizes like going to the zoo or riding on a train. We went with them and rode the Amtrak for 3 stops. She loved it.

Apparently, it's working very well. She used to fight them at dinner time, but now she eats to get another sticker. If she won't pick up her toys, they remind her about the sticker and the game, and she cleans up. The grand prize is going on the teacup ride at Disneyland. We live in Los Angeles, and her father works for Disney, so they don't have to make an expensive trip for that. Every time I see them, she excitedly tells me how she's going to go on the teacup ride.

Just another idea.
Nicci

Beth568
09-15-2006, 06:24 PM
The one posted above from MWS is really cute.

But if you can manage to make one with photos, the kids would probably love it. We did a nighttime routine book a couple of years ago for DD1, with pics of her taking a bath, getting into her PJs, brushing her teeth, reading a story, and then asleep. She LOVED reading about herself, and it helped remind her about what would happen next. It did help us a lot with routines and transitions, and we did several of these things for different times of day. :)

kelly ann
09-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Maryann-

I was just going to post this question. I would love to hear if anyone has used the ones posted above. I am not sure what to look for in one. I usually like M&D stuff, but their chart looks incredibly busy. I don't want DS (or myself) to get overwhelmed.

anuta
09-18-2006, 10:41 AM
I love your idea of making a chart yourself.
Kodak gallery website lets you order collage prints, and you could use that option to make a chart. You can buy collages in large sizes...
I might use your idea to do just that!

mom to little e
09-18-2006, 01:12 PM
I also thought about making one but know it would take me forever to actually get around to it but this one is really cute! I also like the little motivational comments on this one.

I had looked at the M&D one but it seemed too overwhelming for DS at this point. This one looks like it wouldn't be as involved. I'm sure the M&D one will come in handy when he is a little bit older. Off to order...

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

kelly ann
09-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Maryann-

I love the look of this, but I just can't see enough detail online. Let me know if the stickers are reusable...can I swap custom ones with their pre-fab stickers week after week? Maybe the stickers are more vinyl based and not truly stickers. Okay, I am totally over-thinking this.

I promised DS's speech therapist I would get a chart this week so I probably will just get the M&D one at a local store.

ETA: Plus, we are trying to track his behavior over the week - not just on a daily basis.