PDA

View Full Version : What to do after Eurotub?

tlw
09-17-2006, 12:12 PM
I have LOVED my Eurotub, but now that DS is 9 months, it's getting harder to keep him in it. He doesn't stand up (yet!) but he wants to reach for the faucets, whether he's facing them or not. What do I need to safely give him a bath in the regular tub?

nfowife
09-17-2006, 12:20 PM
My DD has been in the regular tub since about 7.5 months old. I have some sticky nonslip thingys on the bottom of the tub (from PBK). I also got a faucet cover from Target because DD often bonks her head on it. That's all we've really needed!

Jenn98
09-17-2006, 12:34 PM
I know a lot of people think they are horrible and dangerous, but we used a baby bath seat for DD - the little chair that suction cups to the bottom of the tub. We started with it when she was 6 or so months old and we still use it now and she's 13 months. I love it. I get why they might be considered dangerous - people argue they provide a false sense of security and so mom/dad feels like they can run to grab the phone, etc. I, however, never even turn my back on DD to look in the bathroom mirror if she's inthe tub. I consider it like any other baby product and I don't count on it to watch my kid for me. I can't imagine not using one. Even with little stickies on the tub floor she is very unstable in the tub. This chair keeps her on her bottom and without a goose-egg on her head. I didn't buy mine - it was in a box of handmedowns, but I'm glad I had it. Just my experience...

punkrockmama
09-17-2006, 12:53 PM
I don't think you really need much. I agree that some of those sticky things on the bottom to give traction and a facutet cover (I've seem both at places anywhere from PBK to Target to online places like One Step Ahead) should cover it.

hbridge
09-17-2006, 01:06 PM
A laudry basket in the tub.

My DD used a laundry basket from about 4 months until she was almost 2 (she was attached to the thing). It worked great for all of us since she was contained, she could hold onto the sides for stability, her toys stayed within her reach, and she usually could be kept away from the controls. We used a rectangular style and it worked perfectly.

I would have used it for laundry when we were through, but couldn't get it clean enough, so now we use it for our recycling.

traciann
09-17-2006, 01:08 PM
we are still using the Eurotub at 16 months. Can you move the tub further away from the faucets? Do you have bath toys to distract him?

kristenk
09-17-2006, 01:16 PM
We used the Eurotub until DD was over 2 years old! It was so easy for us that we didn't want to switch her. Plus she was happy in it. She went through stages when she wanted to grab something that she shouldn't. We told her that if she grabbed xxxx, that meant bath time was over and she'd have to get out of the tub. She really liked baths, so the warning was usually enough.

elliput
09-17-2006, 02:35 PM
My DD is still using the Eurotub at 20 months, so you still have quite a bit of longevity with it if you like. You didn't mention having tub toys in your post. If you don't have any, I would suggest getting some as they should take your DS's attention away from the faucets. If you do have some, maybe consider getting some different toys.

Jenny_A
09-17-2006, 03:04 PM
My DD is 8 months old and we experienced the same thing with the Eurotub about a month ago. I loved it but she got to where she wanted to move around and turn over and the Eurotub is very slippery. I had lots of toys in there with her too!

I now use a little seat with suction cups on the bottom like a PP suggested. It's worked great! Again, just never ever turn your back (I laugh as I write this considering I recently posted how DD fell down our stairs!!).

I liked the laundry basket idea too! I had not heard of that.

Jenny

Mom to Caroline 1/06

heidiann
09-17-2006, 04:30 PM
I also use the bath seat for DD, its like a ring type thing. I started using it at about 6 months or so and I abolutely love it. She is now almost 11 months old and now can get out and stand up in it so i'm probably just going to have to go to the stickies on the bottom of the tub.

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

tarahsolazy
09-17-2006, 06:24 PM
We've been using the big tub since he was four months, with no seats or anything. Before he could sit up, an adult bathed with him, after that, he's been on his own. We do have a spout cover from Target, though. I just sit right next to the tub, and he's 2.5.

holliam
09-17-2006, 06:43 PM
He'll grow out of that stage. It's just tiresome for a short while. Mari is still using her Eurobath about once a week. She usually showers now (at 24 mo) but I like her to soak at least once a week. Keep thinking we should move to the big tub but right now her Eurobath is in our garden tub and not sure I want her to use that.

Holli

HallsofVA
09-17-2006, 07:12 PM
We went from the Eurotub to the bath tub when DS was about 11 months old I think. We put a non-slip mat in the bottom of the tub (BRU had a very long one that covers almost all of the tub bottom - better than ones for adults.) We also got one of those inflatable faucet covers (from Wal-mart I think) to keep him from hitting his head on the faucet. Add some rubber duckies or other toys, and that's about we did. We were given some of those floating thermometers, but never really used them.

Momof3Labs
09-17-2006, 08:39 PM
My DS1 (who is VERY tall) used the Eurotub until well after his second birthday, so you can keep on using it for a long time, if you want!

tlw
09-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm really not ready to move to the big tub because the Euro does keep toys close and I feel really safe with him in it. Also, DH freaked out when I bought it because it's soooooo big. I reassured him that we'd use it until 2, so to save face I really can't abandon now! ; )

New tub toys and a faucet cover are on my Target list--thanks again!

Mamma2004
09-17-2006, 08:52 PM
My DS is 27 months old and still soaks in his Eurotub several times per week! I do position it so that he is away from the faucet, of course, and I try to distract him with toys. So far, so good! I hope to keep him in it as long as possible and to persuade him to behave, if he tries to stand up or touch the faucet I tell him there will be only ONE warning and then bathtime is over. Maybe I've just been lucky but it's working!

Good luck!
Stephanie

madelinesmom
09-17-2006, 08:53 PM
We also use the bath seat, (started at 4 months)but only if she is bathing with big sissy, if we are bathing her alone I just let her sit in shallow water and she loves to play.
Jane
Madeline and Emily's Mom
1/20/03 11/29/05

brittone2
09-17-2006, 10:14 PM
We moved DS to the big tub when he was sitting really well on his own (he was fine sitting in the tub without any fear of tipping over, etc by 9 months).

That doesn't sound like what you want to do though. THe PPs idea of a laundry basket is worth a try. We loved our Eurotub too and I know a lot of kids use it until close to or beyond 2 years old.

julieakc
09-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Just wanted to let you know that DS is 31 months (today) and we are still using the Eurotub. I move it all the way to the end away from the faucet in addition to having him face away from the faucet. If he does try to stand up or turn around then bath time is over! I've only needed to end bath time early a couple of times.

Choccie
09-17-2006, 11:27 PM
I also loved the Eurotub but once my DS hit around 8 months he would just cry and cry when I was bathing him. I thought he just didn't like having his hair washed, but one night when my Mum was in town visiting and I was late coming home from work, she put him in the regular tub for a bath and he just loved it. Didn't cry at all! I still didn't feel the big tub was safe so I put him in the Eurotub again the next night and he cried and cried. So - he's been in the big bath ever since! We have a faucet protector thing but to be honest, he never ventures down to that end of the tub. A couple of months ago I started using the shower as part of the bath routine - makes hair washing super fast and easy, and DS thinks it's funny to have his tummy sprayed :-)

brownlesa
09-18-2006, 10:14 AM
I had the same problem. I wasn't ready to move to the big tub so we moved to this tub. It inflates and my DD loves it. I also don't have to use as much water.

http://www.buybuybaby.com/shopping/prod_detail/main.asp?uid=0C1A9C53-8B9C-4566-BDC3-A00DA7BC6F39&MainCatID=6&catID=74&sl=0&productID=173133

I also cover the faucets w/ a towel so they are not so appealing to my DD.

HTH.
Leslie

DrSally
09-19-2006, 07:28 AM
You could also transition to a snugtub, or something like it. We did it at around 6 months, b/c we didn't have a tub as big as the eurotub and Ds is big. It keeps them contained and the inflatable edges cushion bumps. He can't reach the faucets either while in it. I've heard some like to use it until 2yo. I think it also keeps the water warmer, again, b/c it's contained in a smaller space.

saschalicks
09-19-2006, 06:39 PM
We had that with DS#1 and then it got a hole :( Now with DS#2 I have this one which is actually smaller: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_6/602-9903752-1860635?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000066665 I bought it at my local Target. DS#2 has a blast in it splashing. We could not do the big tub either right now and he's 9 months.
HTH

elephantmeg
09-21-2006, 08:51 PM
I've used a safer bather from the begining and it's been great, he can lay down, sit up or even splash on his tummy now that he's more mobile.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401509&cp