PDA

View Full Version : *Update*Bumbo...infant seat

denna
09-18-2006, 02:45 AM
*Update*

Well we got the chair from MIL last week and DS has loved it. I thought that he would be too big w/ his thighs (at 6 months) but he fits in it pretty well, and he really likes it. Hes pretty much sitting on his own now, but I think this will help him w/ his posture for now since he still holds himself up w/ his hands and leans every now and then.

Well ladies thanks so much again for the great responses, I appreciate it!

__________________________________________________ ________________

Has anyone used the bumbo infant seat? We just got this as a gift and the friend that gave it to us has used it w/ her DD and LOVED it.

Anyone have any experience it w/ it? How do you like it?

TIA

Denna

Momof3Labs
09-18-2006, 05:55 AM
I didn't care for it. FWIW, I think that you're almost at the end of its useful life since your DS is close to being able to sit alone (unless he's a very, very placid baby).

DS2's legs were too chunky for it, and he seemed close to launching himself out of it at 3m. So we didn't use ours much at all. He was happier on his back or tummy on the floor, which is better developmentally anyways.

JBaxter
09-18-2006, 05:59 AM
I havent but I have 2 friends that LOVE theirs. I've given 2 as shower gifts and those babies are still to small to use them.

denna
09-18-2006, 06:15 AM
I didnt really care for it either when I saw the one our friend was using. Her DDs legs were too chunky for it too, and I dont know. It just didnt seem like something our DS would like, he is so active and is already scooting around and moving backwards in an attempt to crawl. So I dont think this seat would be good for him. But our MIL insisted on using it and that its wonderful..good thing she lives 6000miles away huh?

Thanks for the input...maybe i'll pass it on as a shower gift since DS wont be getting any use out of it..

Denna

Jenn98
09-18-2006, 07:19 AM
We loved ours. I was very glad we got one! It was one of the few things we did have (no swing, no high chair, no exasaucer, etc) and I really liked it a lot.

brownlesa
09-18-2006, 10:07 AM
We didn't really like ours either. DD kept trying to straighten her body and that would cause it to almost tip over. She wouldn't sit in it for more than a few minutes and I could never leave her alone in it. Maybe she was too big (4 months) when we got it?

HTH-
Leslie

jrhoads
09-18-2006, 10:12 AM
It was great for when we go out to eat. We just put her on the table in the Bumbo seat and she is good to go for about 30 minutes and everyone comments on how cute it is!

Ceepa
09-18-2006, 12:38 PM
We liked ours but the useful life of it is very limited. Now ours just sits in the corner with a stuffed animal propped up in it. :)

-Ceepa

longtallsally
09-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I am in the minority here, but I have found the Bumbo to be very useful. My DD was/is a bit behind in her motor skills because of torticollis and her physical therapist said short stints in the Bumbo were good for letting her practice holding her back, neck and head upright and strengthening her muscles. She hated the Bumbo at first, because it was a lot of work but she got over it. Of course, DD had TONS of tummy time and learned to like that as well. Now that DD has mastered the art of holding herself upright in the Bumbo, she is working on learning to sit without it.

Babies don't learn to use their legs and hands to prop themselves up if they always sit in the Bumbo, and they can lean back without falling over if they are seated in a Bumbo (something they need to learn not to do if they are to sit up on their own). Now I only use the Bumbo when I want DD to play quietly with her toys for a little while. I just park a little basket of toys next to the Bumbo and she entertains herself emptying the basket and fiddling with toys. She loves it. I think the utility of the Bumbo is short-lived, but worthwhile. Try borrowing one from a friend. You won't be sorry.

madelinesmom
09-18-2006, 02:57 PM
We really loved it and found it very useful. We borrowed it from a neighbor so didn't have to pay for it... We used it all the time, I will say it wasn't very useful when she started moving around and almost started flipping herself out of it. Would I buy it myself, probably not, but it was great to borrow...

Jane
Madeline and Emily's Mom
1/20/03 11/29/05

kelly ann
09-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Denna-

I got ours when DD was only 3 months old and she was way too chunky to fit in it. It took two people to pull her out :) Anyway, if you don't have a shower coming up, you can try to return it to a local Babies R Us for credit - they sell it there now for about $40.

ETA: After my experience, I feel like it would be a better gift for after the baby is born. At a shower, you have no idea if the baby will be a little peanut or a chunky monkey :P

tarynsmum
09-18-2006, 04:47 PM
FWIW, my daughter has been dubbed as having "amazing thighs" (really, they are just huge), and we use the BUmbo every day (mostly for eating, instead of a booster). She's about 17 pounds, and wears a 12-18 pant, if that helps. If she has naked legs (like is just wearing a dipe) they're tight in there, but not to the point that it's uncomfortable.

kelly ann
09-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Oh gosh, DS must have been Extra-super-chunky gal then :) She also has a huge tummy so maybe it was a combination of the tummy, thighs, and rear end. She was in 2T by 12 months old! I remember DH putting her in and taking a picture at 3 months old (the day I went back to work) and sent me the photo at work. He told me she had already outgrown it and he was right...she looked like she was about to burst out of the bumbo!

ged
09-18-2006, 05:33 PM
That's what we used our for as well, mainly. It was good for the time frame between the infant carrier and when she could sit in a high chair all alone.

hillview
09-18-2006, 07:18 PM
We used it for about a month ... then he outgrew it -- it was tight but more impt. he could arch his back and get out of it which was dangerous. DS is 95%
HTH
/hillary

Joolsplus2
09-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Same with Leah, she's a moose girl and fits fine in it and likes sitting in it for various lengths of time...sometimes she gets sick of tummy time and still is not a strong sitter at 7.5 months.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

saschalicks
09-19-2006, 06:25 PM
We got one off of e-bay and it was a life saver when we needed to put DS#2 down and he couldn't hold himself up. I tell you I wish I had known about it with DS#1. However, now DS#2 looks like he's figured out how to get out of it, so off it goes to storage where we hope a future #3 will be able to use it.

rrosen
09-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Hate it! My DD was able to get out of it by straightening her body and flipping over the back. She got out at less than 4 months. What upset me more is that I wrote the company several weeks ago and have yet to hear back.

IMHO this is a dangerous product.

TwinsItIs
09-21-2006, 09:00 PM
I loved it for DS and used it for months. He's not huge and he enjoyed it immensely. He was born at 35 weeks, and hated tummy time. This taught him to hold his head and he wasn't screaming his head off. It was great great while it lasted.

hrh_julie
09-25-2006, 03:55 PM
I have a hand-me-down one for my DD (4 months old). I am not sure if I would have purchased one, though. It seems like she is going to outgrow it very fast.

I like the Bumbo, because she can sit on the counter while I am in the kitchen. However, I find she has trouble playing with anything while she is in the chair. There is no room to rest a toy (the chair makes her lean forward a bit).

More importantly, it seems that every time she is in the Bumbo she has a poop. So, if we want her to work out any "issues" the chair is great! Maybe its because her stomach is scrunched?

Hope this helps!
Julie

Eloise36
10-04-2006, 11:54 PM
>More importantly, it seems that every time she is in the Bumbo
>she has a poop. So, if we want her to work out any "issues"
>the chair is great! Maybe its because her stomach is
>scrunched?

That's funny! My 4 month old DD does that all the time in her Bumbo too! We love ours, but I can't see DD using it once she can crawl.

MeyersDVM
10-05-2006, 05:32 PM
>
>
>More importantly, it seems that every time she is in the Bumbo
>she has a poop. So, if we want her to work out any "issues"
>the chair is great! Maybe its because her stomach is
>scrunched?
>

DITTO! It makes blow-outs pretty easy to clean up.
I love the Bumbo for being able to put DD down for short amounts of time. She will sit in it on the kitchen table while DH and I eat. We took it out to a restaurant tonight for her to sit in since she is either always in a sling or arms (she HATES the infant seat). Worth every penny of the $40 Grandma paid for it even if we only get a month's use out of it.

lydiaach
05-24-2007, 02:34 PM
I just bought the tray for it. Love it!!!