PDA

View Full Version : Wooden train experts: Have you heard this rumor about Brio?

smilla653
09-18-2006, 08:13 AM
We just bought a small starter set of Brio train stuff for DS.

Yesterday, we were in a local toy store and they had some Brio wooden train things on sale for 50% off. My DH started talking to the shop owner about the Brio trains, and the owner was saying they were discontinuing carrying the Brio. He said that Brio was moving their production to China, and the new Brio sets would have more plastic parts and be carried in places like Target. Anyone else hear about something like this?

I'm bummed, because I'm just not a Thomas person. Additionally, even though I keep telling DH the components of many brands of wooden train sets are interchangable, he wants to be a Brio purist. I see a lot of ebaying in my future.....

o_mom
09-18-2006, 08:28 AM
I wonder if it will be like Thomas, where the have 2-3 different line. Thomas has the original, Thomas & Friends, and Take Along Thomas. I could seee Brio wanting to compete at Target and having a low-end line just for the mass merchendisers.

FWIW, the Brio crane DS1 got for his birthday was made in China, but the track was made in Sweden.

egoldber
09-18-2006, 08:28 AM
It would be sad, but I'm thinking something is in the works. I'm seeing clearance sales on Brio EVERYWHERE, even at small independent toy stores. And there is a ton of Brio at Tuesday Morning.

JFC
09-18-2006, 09:31 AM
I was just talking with the owner of our local toy store about this last week. What I heard syncs up with what you heard - Brio is discontinuing the wooden trains to offer a more mass-market plastic version. If I were more of a Brio fan, I'd be stocking up... ;-) HTH!

kboyle
09-18-2006, 10:21 AM
yep, even our tiny local toy store is slowly disc their brio stuff. i think they have one tiny shelf now with about 3 trains and a few tracks & sets on it.

The Review Mommy
09-18-2006, 11:10 AM
I *KNEW* it! LOL

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=56477

Rebekah

ett
09-18-2006, 12:27 PM
So that's why there's so much Brio stuff at Tuesday Morning. That's too bad because although DS is a huge Thomas fan, we also have a number of Brio trains. I find the Brio trains to be much better quality than the Thomas trains. They don't chip as easily as the Thomas stuff. I'd better stock up on Brio.

jess_g
09-18-2006, 12:45 PM
That is too bad. We love the brio trains that we have. Is there any sites online that have the Brio trains or track sets on sale? Or is Tuesday Morning my best bet? Ours is a hike to get to but I will go if they have some good deals there to stock up for christmas.

Thanks,

Jessica.

brittone2
09-18-2006, 01:57 PM
That's depressing on so many levels.

Soon I wonder how many independent toy stores will be left...they won't have anything to carry :( It seems like everything will be plastic, made in China, and only sold at the "big box" stores very soon.

:(

egoldber
09-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Well I share the nostalgia. But at the same time, toy stores are like any other business. Its a new world and they need to re-invent themselves to stay in business in the 21st century.

As an example, there's a small independent toy store near us, that has gone from 2 to 4 locations in the last few years and seems to be doing very well. How have they done it?

1) They've chosen new locations carefully. The one I frequent is 2 stores down from a Little Gym. FABULOUS choice. If we get the Little Gym early or want to hang out a bit after, DD and I spend tons of time in there. I see lots of other Little Gym parents there with their kids also. And I dont't known how many Little Gym birthday parties I've been to where I've recognized that toy store's wrapping paper from people stopping there for last minute gifts.

2) They sponsor all kinds of free and low cost events for families to get traffic into their stores.

3) They offer amazing customer service, free gift wrap, etc.

4) They continue to offer things that Target/Walmart will never offer because the volume is not there.

5) They offer incentive book clubs, toy buying clubs, etc.

The store is always busy and bustling when I go in.

There's another small independent toy store near me that offers NONE of those things (including super crappy customer service) and is always empty on the occasions I happen to go in. I'm always kind of surprised to see its still there actully.

I guess my only point is that these stores can sit and say "woe is me, Target is taking all my customers" or they can figure what they are good at and Target is not and capitalize on that.

I do heartily agree with you that its a shame whats happening, but at the same time its the reality of the business climate today and some stores are adapting quite well to it.

brittone2
09-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Oh, you are totally right. I just get sad when I think about how everything comes down to cost/price, etc. Of course, as you said, that's business and supply and demand. If parents want inexpensive plastic trains, that's what Brio's going to make.

When I lived in PA it was soooo hard to find independent toy stores where I lived. It involved driving over an hour to find one in any direction. Here in NC there are quite a few and some of them really are awesome (as you said, free gift wrap, etc.). We try really really hard to support them.

I hope there will be independent stores that continue to adapt, change, grow, etc. so we aren't stuck shopping at the big boxes for everything. It is great to hear what your local store has done to adapt...smart people :)