PDA

View Full Version : new PBK kitchens--super cool

holliam
09-19-2006, 07:33 PM
I know DH would have preferred these over the red retro set but I still love the red one. These are very cool and slick! Hey, there is a dishwasher for us now. :)

http://ww2.potterybarnkids.com//cat/pip.cfm?src=schp3%7Ct4%7Cv0%7Cwnew%2Fschp2%7Ct4%7C v0%7Cwnew%2Fschp1%7Ct4%7Cv0%7Cwnew%2Fshpaa%7Ccsalt na%7Cda%7Crshop&pkey=xsrd0n3%7C16%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7Cnew&gids=hd770&cmsrc=kwd

http://ww2.potterybarnkids.com//cat/pip.cfm?src=schp3%7Ct4%7Cv0%7Cwnew%2Fschp2%7Ct4%7C v0%7Cwnew%2Fschp1%7Ct4%7Cv0%7Cwnew%2Fshpaa%7Ccsalt na%7Cda%7Crshop&pkey=xsrd0n3%7C16%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7Cnew&gids=hd800&cmsrc=kwd

http://ww2.potterybarnkids.com//cat/pip.cfm?src=schp3%7Ct4%7Cv0%7Cwnew%2Fschp2%7Ct4%7C v0%7Cwnew%2Fschp1%7Ct4%7Cv0%7Cwnew%2Fshpaa%7Ccsalt na%7Cda%7Crshop&pkey=xsrd0n3%7C16%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7Cnew&gids=hd810&cmsrc=kwd

JFC
09-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Holli - you are the play kitchen guru! :-)

kijip
09-20-2006, 01:05 AM
Very slick looking indeed. I like the island. Is is really metal or is is slick paint?

I wonder, though, looking at the price, what price point comes next for PBK kitchens? First it was like $300, then over like $600+ for the Retro and now over $800 for this one. Coming up soon, the Sub Zero/pbK cross branded set or something? I can't imagine my parents shopping for toy kitchens, heck I can't remember any kid having a toy kitchen of their own except for the little plastic ones. Wooden kitchens were featured only in public schools and church nurseries and I had a lot of toys and had friends with a lot of toys. There are real kitchens for less $$ then these. Heck my first apartment's kitchen was not much bigger than these sets, lol. And the size and price keeps growing.

Still, T's kitchen (metro set) sees a lot of playtime, so it is worth the space use.

ellies mom
09-20-2006, 04:07 AM
Wow, those are pretty slick and definately more gender neutral than most but at that price, I'll wait for the Kidkraft knock-off at Costco in a few years. Especially since they seem to be made of the same material. I definately give kudos to PBK for style though.

holliam
09-20-2006, 06:37 AM
The funny thing is we bought a small refrigerator to keep Mari's snacks in (to avoid anymore raw egg eating and it worked! phew) and it was less than her pretend one. Liam said we should have just gotten her real appliances! :P

I'm guessing it's painted.

I never had a play kitchen. I am not sure even the plastic ones existed when I was a child because I do not remember anyone having one until my niece was a child 10 years later. (I grew up in the 70s).

Holli

sdbc
09-20-2006, 09:06 AM
They did have them. I didn't have many toys, but I had a huge play kitchen made of aluminum or some cheap metal. I can still rememer the smell of it because it was a little rusty. I had it when I was 5, for sure, so that would have been 1975. :)

ETA: It was olive green--that definitely places it in the early '70s!.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

holliam
09-20-2006, 09:50 AM
LOL! I had a metal dollhouse and I know that smell so well! So, I was deprived! hrmph!

I'm the same age. :)

Holli

punkrockmama
09-20-2006, 10:30 AM
>Coming up soon, the Sub Zero/pbK cross branded set or
>something?

LOL, yeah. I hear ya. Peyton has a whole wooden kitchen set-up that was $$, but I just can't see myself spending the $$$$$ on the PBK. It's kinda crazy IMO to spend that much on a (really big) toy. Now, he loves playing with his kitchen and it makes him so happy to "make apple pies" that I do think the price we paid was money well spent. Still, things don't have to be bigger, better, shinier than the next for kids to get a kick out of it.

I had a play kitchen and it was plastic, plastic, and a little more plastic. Complete with food painted on the oven door that did not open,lol.

ajmom
09-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Wow! What I could do to fix up my own kitchen with that kind of $$$! ;)

traciann
09-21-2006, 04:45 PM
holliam-did you say you have the washer/dryer set? how does your DC play with it? I say a set that I could add on a washer which I thought was adorable...but I was wondering would she really play with it?

Thanks!
Traci

holliam
09-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Well, my DD is just 2 but she is obsessed with laundry so she plays with it. :) Mostly washing and drying playsilks. I suspect she'll do more as she gets older.

Holli

jennifer_r
09-23-2006, 08:51 PM
I had a play "plastic kitchen" and I was born in 1970 - it was a Raggedy Ann and it actually had a working sink (you filled water up in the tank behind it at the top of the kitchen and gravity brought the water down when you "turned on" the faucet; the water just collected in a tub under the sink - simple concept but pretty cool and it worked - loved it as a child. But my entire kitchen was really small - about the size of one of the PBK retro pieces.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img][/url]

kijip
09-23-2006, 10:50 PM
I say harness that interest for getting the real laundry done while she is at it :). T thinks it is a total hoot to help with the laundry and put away the socks etc. He also pretends to iron things but clearly I don't let him help me with a real iron. :P

holliam
09-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Yea, she does that too. :) We have started to find all kinds of clothes in the washer when we leave it open as Mari walks around helping. LOL She likes to run down the hall holding our hand to help with laundry.

Holli

oliviasmomma
09-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Long live the rusty 70's kitchen! I had one too--along with the dollhouse AND a mailbox--the kind you'd see on the street corner. My mom was a huge thrifter otherwise we never would have had things like that.

jennifer_r
09-25-2006, 07:32 AM
I personally don't care for it. The styling is great, no denying that. But, I have to agree with a couple of the PPs about it being too much. I'm not even talking from a monetary issue; I mean that I prefer simple toys, preferably natural materials, WITHOUT electronics because I feel that it allows the children to use their imagination even more. This toy is too "electronic" for me - the stove top glows, the dishwasher has a "chip" (read that in the catalog) in it to make it sound like it is really running, and the refrigerator has a light that goes on when you open the door.

I think kitchens are getting too excessive. Kids don't need such fancy toys to have fun - infact, I think it's better to have the less fancy toys. JMO. I am planning on getting DDs a kitchen but it will have a simpler design.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

holliam
09-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Yipes, I had not even read that. Yea, I don't like glowing, noisy toys either!

I wanted a simple kitchen ala Elves & Angels but DH wanted something that looked more realistic because he loves to cook (he's taken a lot of culinary classes) so that's how we ended up with the red PBK one, but it does not glow or make noise!

Holli

jennifer_r
09-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Yea, I love the retro red PBK kitchen. I have DDs' kitchen narrowed down to that one or E&A or the Little Colorado one. Decisions, decisions. . .

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05