PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a Thomas Tank Engine bed?

jess_g
09-20-2006, 09:37 AM
I am thinking of getting one for my son's birthday. He will be 3 and is getting too big for his crib (although he still loves it its just a bit too small for him to stretch out in). He is a huge thomas fan so I am thinking of getting him the bed. I have seen a couple recently on craigslist so it seams like a good time to get one. Does anyone have it? Any thoughts or complaints? Do you use a bed rail?
Just wondering what someone else thought of it before I buy one.

http://www.adventuretoys.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=559

Forgot to mention that my son is kind of rough with furniture (bouncing on beds and such) and the reviews from anazon.com are kind of mixed on the quality of the bed. Some say parts break off easily and that it is not put together well, but others say it is a great toddler bed.

Thanks,

Jessica.

new_mommy25
09-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Is that a toddler or a twin size? If it is a twin and a decent price on Craiglist I would go for it. But I would not spend a lot of money on something that will only be used for a few years. My DS loves Thomas too but that didn't stop us from getting a quality wood bed that he can use until he moves out of the house. He has lots of Thomas decorations on the walls and such and that is enough for him.

punkrockmama
09-20-2006, 12:30 PM
^^Agreed. If you can find it cheap on CL, then do it if you really want to. Otherwise get a bed that will last. Peyton is still in his crib, but when the time comes I want to spend money on a good, solid, wood twin bed. Something that he could take all the way to his first apartment. He's also obsessed with Thomas and I figure train pillows, sheets, and the like will be good enough for his big boy decor.

And hey, thanks for posting this. It reminds me that I need to ask a question about outgrowing the crib! :)

jvorhis
09-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Emma loves Thomas and I thought about getting the bed for her. She actually said the other day and she was going to ask Santa for it! I might consider it if I get a 20% off coupon for toys r us this year. They do hold their value so if you decided to get it someday you probably will get a good percentage of your money back. We do have the Thomas toddler bedding set. We got ours off of allaboardtoys.com but I have seen them at Walmart and Toysrus.

Momof3Labs
09-20-2006, 03:00 PM
If he's too big for his crib, then he's too big for this bed. I've seen this in person, and it is a toddler bed that takes a crib mattress.

kijip
09-20-2006, 03:38 PM
I say skip the toddler Thonmas bed or even a twin one (if it exists in that size). You can always get some train or Thomas sheets. A plain wooden bed will serve you much longer overall than a bed with a kid's only theme.

ett
09-20-2006, 07:52 PM
If it's a toddler bed then the mattress will be the same size as a crib mattress, meaning it will be too small for your son. I agree with PP about getting a regular bed and then getting Thomas bedding to go with it. That way, when he outgrows Thomas (which may be in 1-2 years), you won't be out of a lot of money.

VenusElon
09-21-2006, 08:45 PM
We bought one for my son's 2nd birthday, and he has slept all night every night for two years, so it was worth the money for me. At the time, he still took a paci at night and would drop it (them) out of the crib and I would have to go to his room to replenish. He loves this bed! I got it from KB toys and I think I had a code. I returned some of his birthday gifts from others for a store credit for some of the cost. We just put wood slats under the bed and didn't use a bed rail, so he could get out and get his paci if he wanted it. I'd say we still have at least another year on length, he always curls up anyway. I don't have any problems with the quality of the bed.