PDA

View Full Version : Table and chairs

duvie
09-22-2006, 01:38 PM
I would like to get 2 year old DS a small table with 2 chairs. I did a search in BB, but only found a few posts.

Could you steer me to some links on the board or make recommendations for brands?

ETA: I would prefer a wood, rectangular/square table...

dules
09-22-2006, 02:25 PM
IKEA has a couple. Ours was 39.99, all wood and can be painted. The ends are not rounded but it is sturdy. They have a set "below" and a set "above" the one we got and the prices vary accordingly.

For the price I'm very happy with the quality (DH and I can sit in the chairs no problem) and I like that we can paint it, if we ever get around to it.

There's someone here on the boards who does handpainting - perhaps she'll chime in with her site. I think her supplier is Little Colorado, which are supposed to be very nice.

Good luck.

miki
09-22-2006, 10:37 PM
We have one of the wooden sets from IKEA also. I painted the unfinished wood. But I have to say that the table is a little small now for her activities. If she wants to color or play with some dough, there's really not enough space to pread out all the tools for the activity. Forget about adding a playmate. I ended up buying a large round plastic table that IKEA also sells. It's much better for playing. I can set up more than one activity for her on the larger table or she can have a couple friends over and they can all use the table at the same time.

Beth568
09-23-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi - I'm the one with the painted furniture. :)

I always recommend Little Colorado table sets - even if you want just a solid color, they're sturdy, well made, and the tables are a bit larger than the IKEA sets, which mean they last a bit longer.

The IKEA sets are a good value for the price, though I have to say I've had some issues with them splintering, cracking or just having rough edges. And it's true that the tables are on the small side.

You can see LC tables at http://www.littlecolorado.com. I like them better than Kid Kraft, and they're a better value than Pottery Barn Kids sets.

duvie
09-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks so much for your input- it really helps.

Unfortunately, we don't have an IKEA near by and they do not ship the kid's tables and chairs.

Little Colorado looks nice, but I am wondering if they are too tall. I would like to have something for DS to use for awhile, but 23" high seems like it might be too much. Thoughts on this? (he is 2 yrs old and 33.5 inches tall).

Has anyone had experience with Lipper International or Guidecraft?
Beth, what don't you like about Kid Craft?

Thanks!

sue_g
09-23-2006, 09:32 PM
I have the Kidkraft rectangle wood table. It is a natural color and is plenty big enough for two children. It is 2' by 3'.

Beth568
09-23-2006, 10:18 PM
23" is a bit higher than the IKEA sets; I think most Kid Kraft tables are about this height, too. My 22 month old is able to sit at our Little Colorado set with no trouble (if she's in a decent mood tomorrow, I can take a picture of her sitting at the table). The chairs are high enough for her to fit there. I do think the higher tables are a bit more challenging for the 2 year old set, but it does mean that older kids (5-6 year olds) can sit there more comfortably.

I don't have very strong objections to Kid Kraft; I've just found the quality of their products to be somewhat inconsistent, and overall I think the construction of the LC pieces is better. I've looked at a LOT of kids' table sets over the past couple of years. ;)

I do not have experience with Guidecraft table sets, but I do work with some of their shelves, and in general I'm pretty pleased with them. Their products tend to be reasonably well constructed, and they come with very clear instructions and well-organized hardware, which is not always the case with this kids' furniture.

duvie
09-25-2006, 06:57 PM
I am seeing two choices on the Little Colorado website- it looks like the same table with either open back or closed back chairs (and then the different finishes). It says that the specs are 23H x 28L x 24W. But, on mrtoys.com there is a LC "Arts and Crafts table" that is 23x36x24. Is this a different table altogether?

How long is your table?
Is it big enough?
Can the chairs support adult weight?

Thanks!

Beth568
09-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Yes, the Arts and Crafts table is longer (36 vs. 28 inches). Here's a link to it on the LC site.

http://www.littlecolorado.com/stock46.html

The one that we have at home, and the size that I usually sell, are the 28 inch regular tables. It's big enough for both of my girls (ages 5 and 22 months) to use comfortably together. The 36 inch table works for 3 or 4 small children.

The chairs can support my weight - I sit on them all the time.

duvie
09-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Thank you so much for your help!