PDA

View Full Version : Best potty chair for DD & potty training book for mom

mak54321
10-03-2006, 01:20 PM
I know you all have experience with this, but I don't! This is my first child, so help me out. I have no idea what works best and what the pros/cons of the different potty chairs are. BTW - my DD is 18 months old.

THANKS!

lisajay
10-03-2006, 07:08 PM
http://www.toysrus.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&productId=16475

I hope this link works. This is the potty seat that I have for my DD. It was recommended to me by my best friend. It is the Soft Seat Potty Trainer by Graco. I read alot of reviews before deciding, and I have been happy with it.

LJ

tny915
10-04-2006, 05:04 PM
We had the Baby Bjorn potty chair and then moved onto the Bjorn potty seat. Love them both. They're so easy to clean. DD can empty the cup in the potty chair by herself, and she now sets up the potty seat herself. The splash guard saved us from many messes. I think I read somewhere that not all potty seats fit on elongated toilet seats. The Bjorn does.
Potty Chair
http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Bjorn-Potty-Chair-Ocean/dp/B000056J7L

Potty Seat
http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Bjorn-Toilet-Trainer-Black/dp/B0009PAN7Q/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_1_img/102-8528043-8930549?ie=UTF8

I tried a Safety 1st chair that converted to a step stool and seat, and I hated it. Too many crevices for the pee to drip into so it took forever to clean, and I could never get every nook and cranny. This one, I do not recommend.
http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Potty-Step-Stool/dp/B000046S2Q

kozachka
10-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Another vote for Baby Bjorn potty chair. BB Little Potty is also very good, especially as a second potty (for the car for trips).

alexandria1981
10-05-2006, 07:28 AM
I have the little bjorn potty and I really like it. Its really low to the ground so little ones can get on and off it easily. I have friends that potty trained their kiddies really young, about 12-18 months. Plus, the all molded design makes it easy to clean and you can't beat the price.

WooChx
10-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Has anyone tried the Flip & Flush that attaches permanently to the family toilet?

american_mama
10-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Edited to add i potty measurements after the web sites. No answer yet on the height of the Potty Scotty/Potty Patty, but I think it may be between 4 and 6 inches, based on the website saying the splashguard is 7 inches tall. The other potties I was curious about are the same height as the Baby Bjorn little one.

If anyone could measure the height of the seat part of the bigger Baby Bjorn potty with the removable bowl, I'd appreciate it.

Well, just before reading your post, I was sitting here at the table with two potties and a measuring tape in front of me. I just yesterday bought the little Baby bjorn potty seat and while I like the sturdy plastic and lack of any lids or bowls for DD to flip or fool around with, it is very low to the ground. Specifically, the seat portion is just under 4 inches off the ground and even for my small 23 month old, it was quite a squat for her.

I have just done an internet search and found three other one piece potties, and I emailed the site owners to ask about measurements. The options are:

Potty Scotty www.pottytrainingconcepts.com
Baby Deluxe Potty chair at www.pottytrainingsolutions.com
Funny Potty chair at www.pottytrainingsolutions.com

Added measurements:
From pottytrainingsolutions.com
Baby Deluxe
Seat height - 3 3/4"
Front Height - 5 1/2"
Back Height - 7"
Side to Side - 8 1/2"
Front to Back - 10"
Opening - 5 1/2"

Funny Potty
Seat height - 3 3/4"
Front Height - 5 3/4"
Back Height - 8"
Side to Side - 11"
Front to Back - 11"
Opening - 6"

I found that with my older daughter, if there was anything that flipped (like a lid) or lifted (like a little bowl for dumping) she just played with them, knocked them over or out of alignment, or the lid would fall on her while she was sitting. Add to that the ready-made distractions of toilet paper/wipes and flushing.... it convinced me to look for one piece potties.

I have another bigger potty (not available in the US) which I was forced to buy when my older DD pooped in it in the store while potty training. I posted about that story in the Lounge and many found it hilarious; I did not, especially since the potty cost about $40. But I'm pleased to say I kind of like the potty now: it's about 6.5 inches at the seat part and is more comfortable for my DD, plus I need another potty for the lower level of the house. I'm glad to finally be getting some use out of it. I also found out that I could remove the lid, which you might want to test out if you find your perfect potty but it has a lid.

mak54321
10-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Thank you all so much for the feedback. This is GREAT.

My DD is also on the small side, so I lucked out that you were already doing the same research! I will stop by BRU and Target to see if they have the BB and others that have been mentioned in the thread. If there are specialty shops that are worth checking into let me know and I'll stop by to check them out too. Please let me know what you find out about the potties you've requested further info about. I will keep searching as well, and post what we've decided on. I agree that anything that can be played with is probably not good, especially in the early potty training days.

HHCs Mom
10-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Ok, I also have the BB potty but after cleaning poop out of it, I'm convinced that a potty seat or ring on the big toilet and a stepstool is the best way to go. Just flush and it's gone; no need to clean poop out of the potty chair. Yuck!

Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ 4.6.04
...and #2 due 5.24.07!

tny915
10-05-2006, 10:25 PM
The bigger Bjorn potty chair is about 6 inches off the ground at the seat part. The splash guard is about 2 inches high, so about 8 inches from the ground in the front of the chair.

For us, this was the perfect height.

Beth568
10-06-2006, 09:15 AM
For those reasons, but also just because my DDs both seemed to prefer it, I've always ended up going with a potty seat ring on the regular toilets and a step stool.

My older DD played with the Baby Bjorn potty, put dolls and stuffed animals on it, and carried it around, but never once "produced" anything in it. ;)

My DD2 is 22 months and is just getting the hang of PT, but she will ONLY sit on the real toilet, because that's what her sister does. She'll have none of this baby potty stuff.

FWIW, 18 months may be early to start PT in earnest, though it of course depends on the child. After going through this with 2 kids, I've had the most success with letting them take the lead and not trying to formally "train" them. And I've also found that the equipment seems more for me than them; they have both done much better on just a toilet. I do have a folding portable seat that I take with us, because public toilets gross me out for my little ones.

My DD1 was pretty much fully trained by 2.5, and DD2, I expect, will be diaper-free shortly after 2. I think this is on the early side, and again, it's been pretty laid back for us. Each time I tried to teach them to use the potty things got complicated and messy and frustrating for both of us. When I let go and just let them ask, it worked much better.

All that is a long-winded way of saying I don't know that I'd recommend a particular PT book for you. She'll get it eventually.

sdbc
10-06-2006, 09:34 AM
We have this seat, as well and like it. It worked out better for us than the Baby Bjorn. DD now alternates between this and the regular toilets.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

sdbc
10-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Yup. We have that in addition to the Graco seat. It wasn't ideal at 18 months (no handles), but it worked fine ant age 2 and up. It's nice because you don't have to store an extra seat ring. We got ours at Target in the bath section with the other toilet seats.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

mudder17
10-06-2006, 11:47 AM
I haven't used the BB potty, but DD does like the Pot:

[link:www.theecstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=1507|The Pot]

I think the guard is not quite as high as the BB, but the opening is a bit larger and lower (this not having a BB, but according to others who have both). In any case, I did have to teach Kaya to lean forward while peeing, which she can do easily because it's fairly low and not too wide (compared to our Graco 3-in-1 step stool potty). I believe Joolsplus2 has used this one as well as the BB potty, so maybe she'll see this. In any case, I think this would be really appropriate for an 18 month old and it certainly works well for my 2.5 year old.

As for the PT book, I found this to be really really helpful:

[link:www.amazon.com/Keys-Toilet-Training-Barrons-Parenting/dp/0764103431/sr=8-1/qid=1160152997/ref=sr_1_1/002-6038377-4948032?ie=UTF8&s=books|potty training book]

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 31 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

american_mama
10-09-2006, 12:28 AM
See my earlier post for the seat height of a couple potty seats.