PDA

View Full Version : Hop ball vs Rody horse

alexandria1981
10-03-2006, 02:45 PM
We spent last week at my in-laws house. They had one of those hop balls with the horse head. My DD, 2, fell in love with it. Picture little blond bobbing along everywhere, she was glued to it:) Now when I go on-line I find the Rody horse. Does anyone have an opinion about which one would be a better option? Since Grammy is buying, price doesn't matter. I really just want to get the one she will enjoy the most. I wonder if the Rody will seem boring after the "big kid" ball. Also, is the knock-off Rody as good and as big as the original? Who has the best prices?

thank you,

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35753.jpg

holliam
10-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Cute picture of your girlies but it's a little big! :)

DD (25 mo) has a Rody horse and she loves it. Every other 2-year old who is over here thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. She's never tried the ball though. If your DD does well on the ball, get it!

My DD named her Rody "Beebo". We have no idea why. LOL. Then again she also named her stuffed lemur and monkey both "Carl". :P

Holli

alexandria1981
10-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, sorry about the size of the picture. I have no idea how to use attachments. I was trying to update my little photo :)

mypa
10-03-2006, 04:26 PM
I got my 3yr. old niece a hop ball and my 14mo. old DS the Rody. The Rody is definitely more stable than the hop ball and can be used at an earlier age, so your younger daughter may be able to use it, that is if her big sis will share it. But since your DD already tried the hop ball and likes it how about getting the hop ball for her and the Rody for your younger DD.

I know, not much help. . .

Perhaps DD can try out a Rody, usually specialty toy stores and The Right Start carries them.

I got Rody at www.maukilo.com at their retail store with a 20%off coupon. The real Rody is wayyyy better than the Target knock-off (which was stiff and smelly).

Saartje
10-03-2006, 05:35 PM
I don't know what the hop ball is like, but after being at a friend's house and seeing a one-year-old, two-year-old, and three-year-old all playing enthusiastically with a pair of Rody horses, I'm sold on the value of a Rody horse.

basilicali
10-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Rody horse!
Here is where I got mine with a base to make it a rocking horse also!--its removable.
http://www.allegromedical.com/rock-n-rody-rody-horse-with-base-210871.html

Karen :)

cmo
10-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Found these hop balls today:
http://www.hearthsong.com/hearthsong/product.do?section_id=0&bc=1005&pgc=21&cmvalue=HS|0|Normal%20Search%20Result|P1

lilycat88
10-03-2006, 08:47 PM
We're Rody Horse and Allegro Medical fans here as well. We got "horse" for DD last Christmas and it is bounced upon daily. She's 27 months now.

alexandria1981
10-05-2006, 07:12 AM
Thanks for writing about the Target horse, I wondered if it was as good. For the record, I don't think they make it anymore. I couldn't find it anywhere on their web site. I'm thinking about getting the Rody now and if my older DD isn't crazy about it, get the ball and figure DD2 will get to use the pony in about a year or so. Or maybe I'll just follow your suggestion, it is the less expensive one :) I think I might try to hunt it down at a toy shop, that is probably the best option. Anyone seen Rodys in Northern VA?

alexandria1981
10-05-2006, 07:14 AM
That one does seem like a good value, I think it comes with a pump too. Plus, I really like hearthsong, I think they sell good toys!

MommyAllison
10-05-2006, 06:32 PM
I had the Hippity Hop ball growing up and my sisters and I loved loved loved it! We used it everywhere, it's used now as a pool toy. :) I should ask them to save it for DD... Hadn't seen the Rody Horse before - it looks cool too! But I can vouch that we used the Hippity Hop well into elementary school.

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

rlu
10-06-2006, 01:24 PM
I got the target knockoff on cleareance. It is a wierd looking blue elephant that DS pretty much ignores but has bounced on it once or twice when I encourage him to. DH said it looks like Disney's Stitch without the teeth.

mypa
10-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I bought this same elephant from Target but returned it as it didn't compare to the Rody I had already seen IRL. The elephant doesn't have a dip in the saddle area that Rody has so it also makes it taller, less stable, and less appropriate for the younger/shorter crowd. The material is very different as well, not as pliable or soft and no ears to hold onto. It also looked kind of scary to me, not cute, and had a smell.

alexandria1981
10-18-2006, 01:53 PM
After much debate, we got the hop ball with the horsey head from Hearthsong. (FYI, Hearthsong people are a little strange on the phone but they got my order right and the shipping was prompt.) It does not come with a pump like I originally thought so I had to buy that too. Anyway, DD is crazy about about the hop ball. Hops EVERYWHERE :) She even hops in place while watching Barney. She must be burning some serious calories. Not only is she trying new food (eating meat, which is totally new) she's putting up less of a fuss at bedtime. Still might get the Rody for my youngest, when she's a little older. Thanks for all the advice. I'd attach a picture if I could figure out how to not have it be life sized! ha!

thanks again,