PDA

View Full Version : Question about trains

table4three
10-06-2006, 12:47 AM
I've been thinking about getting DS (currently 18mo) a train set for Christmas or his 2nd birthday, but when I look closer at the train sets (Brio, Thomas, etc) they are all listed for age 3+. Why? Are there small pieces on the trains? Also, many of the wooden kitchens I've seen also say 3 and up. What is it about these toys that make them for kids 3 and up? Are they safe for 2 year olds??

Thanks!

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

new_mommy25
10-06-2006, 04:27 AM
I gave my DS his first train set at 15 months. Prior to that he had only played trains at the train tables in stores. I never saw a problem. DH and I did take away a lot of the smaller pieces like the signs and trees. The track and trains are big enough and DS stopped mouthing things fairly early. I suppose there could be an issue if one were chewing on a train and the wheel dislodged or something so I think it would be totally up to you and whether you feel your child is ready.

As for play kitchens, I think a lot of the ratings are due to the fact that there could be small chokable items, like the M&D cutting foods, the actual height of play kitchens, and the fact that most children don't begin real pretend play until they are closer to three or even four.

SnuggleBuggles
10-06-2006, 07:16 AM
I have always heard that if it has a minimum age of 3yp then it is because of choking hazards. For ages like 18+ months that is because they either don't have the skills or the ability to use the product as intended but there is no reason why they can't have older toys.

I firmly stuck with the 3y cut off especially if it said it had a choking hazard (the box will say). Looking at our Thomas set I can totally see possible choking hazards...the magnets, the wheels, the connector nubs sticking from the tracks could maybe break off...Odds that they will happen are probably small but you need to factor that in.

That is one of the reasons we chose Geotrax. They are for 2.5+ and aren't choking hazards (unless marked on a certain set but I can't remember any).

As a mom of one I can stay within the safe age ranges for toys. I know it gets harder when you have more than one at home. If we have 2 I plan to send the legos and other more dangerous toys to ds #1's room so the playroom can have safer toys.

JMO,
Beth

Jen841
10-06-2006, 08:00 AM
I second GeoTrax. We have both, and the GeoTrak is what Jude from 18mo-3 can manage the best and used the most.

holliam
10-06-2006, 08:08 AM
I think age guidelines are just that--guidelines. You know your child best.

We've had wooden trains and kitchen stuff since 18 mo and we have never had a problem. She is much more into it now at 25 mo and her interests get stronger daily!

Holli

amp
10-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Jake got his first train at around age 2. You're the best judge of whether that is an appropriate toy at any given time.

table4three
10-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the geotrax recommendations. I'll check that out. I think I'll stay closer to the recommended age range, since we'll likely have another child when DS is three, so limiting the choking hazards could be a good idea...

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

kijip
10-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Toby was not a tot prone to stick thengs in his mouth. He has been playing with trains since well before two (but did not get his own big set till Christmas when he was 2 and 1/2). He got a kitchen for his 2nd birthday.

I think the age things are a guideline, like Holli said, you know your child best.