PDA

View Full Version : mr potato head

scoop22
10-09-2006, 08:09 PM
i hate making lists for christmas b/c no one ever buys
stuff on there anyways.

but i am.. ds will be 17 mo. would mr. potato head be
an idea for the list or not? i don't know why we buy him
toys. he just likes the remote. that is another post all together.
thanks for your help. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

crl
10-09-2006, 08:50 PM
I think this depends on your son. Mine would not have been able to do the fine motor skills at that age for Mr. Potato Head. And, the pieces are really small so definitely a choking hazard if your son is still putting things in his mouth.

I'm not sure what you all already have, but a few things I'd put on a list for that age are (1) playsilks, (2) pots and pans, etc, (3) books, (4) art supplies, like crayons and fingerpaints, (5) duplo leggos (the big ones) or megablocks, and (6) a toy lawn mower.

HTH,

kaitlinsmommy
10-09-2006, 10:24 PM
I agree. I think he's a little young & could be choking hazard. My ds is 16 months now & also loves the remote. I haven't bought him a ton of toys yet because he is perfectly happy playing with everything around the house, including big sister's toys.

If you really want Mr. Potato Head for him, you could always stash it away for a little while.

MNmomtobe
10-09-2006, 11:54 PM
I agree about the choking hazard. That reminds me that I need to make sure our Darth Tater Potato Head is out of reach for DD when she starts becoming mobile.

dules
10-10-2006, 09:30 AM
If you're looking for a fine motor toy, he might like some fun, colorful chunky lacing beads, just use pipecleaners rather than the string to start. Ryan's Room and Haba both make some cute styles.

I like the PP's suggestion of playsilks etc. as well.

Is he interested in trains and trucks? The Wooden Wagon (www.woodenwagon.com) has a nice selection, as I'm sure Oompa and Maukilo do too.

Good luck!

Mary

Saartje
10-10-2006, 11:09 AM
I think 17 months is too young for a Mr. Potato Head. Small pieces would be a choking hazard, and I don't think he'd really have much fun with it yet, either.

At this age, stick with simple toys. Things for his list should be more like a ball, blocks, pots and pans, finger paints, and the like. There's a reason he likes a remote control best.

rlu
10-11-2006, 03:57 PM
We have Mr. Potato Spud Buds which I think are 2 and up. DS received them as a 2-year b-day gift and is able to put them together ok at 2 years old.