PDA

View Full Version : wheel question- radio flyer walker

floridamommy
10-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi...DD is almost one and I want to get her a new walker for her birthday. I just read through the archived posts about how wonderful the Radio Flyer walker seems to be, but had a question about the wheels. It says "molded wheels with grip tread" on the website. That makes me think of molded plastic like a hard plastic like the little tykes toys are made of, which flies out from under her on our tile floors. Can anyone tell me if the Radio Flyer wheels are more "plastic-like" or "rubbery?" Or if you think the RF would be okay on tile floors. We do not have any carpet in our house and our current Fisher Price walker is waaay too fast for her. Since I will be buying online...I don't have a chance to go see it anywhere in person (our Traget & TRU does not have them). Thanks for your help:)
Heather

Jenn98
10-12-2006, 05:04 PM
The wheels are plastic with rubber on the outside rim (where it touches the floor). It also comes with little resistence pegs to help it go slower. We have mostly hardwood and tile floors and DD has never had a problem with it. It does not go too fast at all - we still have the resitance pegs in though. Let me know if that makes any sense. I can take detail pics of the wheels if you want me to - just let me kow :) HTH!

floridamommy
10-12-2006, 05:39 PM
You are sooo kind. Thanks for the message and your offer to take pictures. I don't think that will be necessary because your description was detailed and made perfect sense. I am definitley going to order one. Thanks again for your post! Heather

holliam
10-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Agree with the PP and when we got ours, DD was only 8 months or so but really into cruising. So even with the resistance it went a little fast. We loaded her up with a huge dictionary and thesaurus for the first month. ;)

Holli

kimbe
10-13-2006, 10:53 AM
That is a fantastic idea --- I'm gonna have to file that one away for future use! Thanks!

Mamma2004
10-13-2006, 12:12 PM
DS was a preemie and the Radio Flyer wagon was still too fast for his legs so I put two 10-lb. hand weights into the wagon and voila'! It worked beautifully until he had more muscle control. DS turned two in May and seems to have rediscovered the wagon this fall. He loves to load it up with toys, a stuffed animal, a FRIEND (the friend was excited to ride)....and push it around the house.

Enjoy!

Stephanie

floridamommy
10-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the posts everyone...great tips about weighing it down if it ends up being too fast. I ordered one today off Amazon at a discount and also got free shipping. Can't wait to get it!!! Heather

DrSally
10-14-2006, 09:05 AM
I am just about to order one too, all the others wo/resistance are worthless for new walkers (esp. on wood floors). Can I ask what doscount you got?

denna
10-14-2006, 04:59 PM
I just bought the Radio Flyer Classic Walker on www.babycenter.com it was on sale for $63.99 w/ Free shipping and an additional 10% off the order (code given before checkout).

HTH anyone else looking for the Radio Flyer.

Denna

Joolsplus2
10-14-2006, 06:31 PM
I love the tip about adding weight, too! I think I got mine for about $54 from Amazon, possibly after clicking through www.mycouponguide.com, but they are $89 in real life stores here.
My 8 mo loves hers, and her 7 yo sister loves filling it with stuff, lol.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx
www.joolstag.myarbonne.com

floridamommy
10-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Hi...sorry I had not checked this thread in a few days. I paid $54.99 out the door at Amazon.com and got free shipping, no tax. Hope that helps:) Heather