PDA

View Full Version : Quadrilla Marble Rail Set--Anyone have one?

MichelleRC
10-12-2006, 05:11 PM
I think my boys would love this, just wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

TIA!

August Mom
10-14-2006, 02:00 PM
We don't have the Rail Set, but we have the Twist and Rail set. Personally, I like the twist aspect. DS loves the funnel-like part where the marbles spiral. It is a very cool set. The rail set contains all straight pieces. The quality is high. I do think that it is almost impossible for a little one to figure out their own designs of more than about 1 level or so high. I wish that there were more designs in the book that comes with the set. DS and I have tried to design our own, but he never finds them as "good" as those in the book (that tend to use almost all the pieces in the set). Each color of block has a different function and cause the marble to move differently, so you have to figure out how the marble will move based on the blocks you select when you are trying to design your own marble run. You can expand the sets with various accessory packs.

We enjoy it, but it is not an everyday toy.

MichelleRC
10-15-2006, 06:17 AM
Thanks! I like the twisty pieces too. KIds Surplus had some so I think we will try that as a "sharing" present (Ha!) fo both kids.

lmintzer
10-15-2006, 07:38 AM
We have the rail set and LOVE it! This is literally our favorite toy for the whole house hold. We got it about 6 months ago, and Jack, age 5, quickly picked up how to build and create his own runs. In fact, he is much better at creating his own than I am, lol. Joshua, who was 2 1/2 when we got this, also loves it. He watches us build and drops marbles when we are finished. He even tries to add pieces, which is really cute.

There is one more expensive set than the rail set, but the rail set (we got ours for around $100) is a better value. You get a ton of pieces, including plenty of rails and blocks, a cool see-saw, and a rocker piece.

Just yesterday, we bought the "basic" set (which has a helix, a few small curvv pieces, a few additional blocks, and 50 more marbles). The curvy pieces are fun, and the kids are loving the helix, but I think the rail set is a great way to start and learn how to use the toy. The curvy pieces make fantastic add-ons.

We literally could be a commercial for this toy, so please let me know if you have any more questions! I don't think you'll be sorry whichever set you buy!

chrissyhowie
10-15-2006, 06:15 PM
This looks like such a COOL toy! I think I'd play with it more than my kids LOL.

Lisa, where do the marbles end up? Do they drop off onto the floor or do they stay contained within the rails? I can't tell just by looking at the pics of the set.

lmintzer
10-15-2006, 10:34 PM
They typically drop off onto the floor. Usually, they run through the last hole in a block and just drop onto the floor.

We actually play ours on a carpet, so the marbles don't roll far away. It's a little harder to stabilize, but we manage okay.

chrissyhowie
10-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks for your reply, Lisa. I can tell that this would be a very popular toy in our household, but I'm thinking ahead to when Jonas will be a crawling, put-everything-in-his-mouth, break and destroy tyke. Probably not a good idea for us yet!

Until then, I'm going to hope that one of my friends gets it for their kids -- then we'll come over for playdates often LOL.

zoestargrove
11-21-2006, 03:57 PM
I bet this would be great to set up on a train table since the marbles could be contained.

I'm hoping the granparents will get this for the boys this year, but now I'm really torn between the twist and the rail.

NancyP
11-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi everyone. There is a quadrila coop going on right now. It is at 30% off of retail plus shipping to you from zip 01267. You can join the BBB coop group on yahoo to purchase. If you need help or would like to order just e-mail me at: [email protected]

It closes Dec. 1st