PDA

View Full Version : Looking for wall murals or appliques that you transfer on the wall

DAKnits
10-16-2006, 12:35 AM
I would like to paint over the very bad mural painted in my DD's room, but I am a horrible artist. I would also love to add something to the playroom walls.

Where can I find appliques that you can stick on the wall? I want them to look like they were painted, so I think that means I should buy appliques that you transfer on the wall, rather than the adhesive stick-on ones, which I asssume won't look like real paint. Does anyone know of an online site to order these from, or of a store that carries them? Has anyone used them, and how did it come out (and was it hard to do?)?

Thanks!

lhk777
10-16-2006, 10:12 AM
I actually purchased a set of the wallcandy arts stickers.

I've been very happy with them and the quality seems pretty good so far.
I bought the Candy Factory set and put them about 6 months ago and they've held up well and they are very cute.

Suprisingly neither of my DC's have tried to peel them off.

A bit pricey (~70) but I would say well worth it if you factor in how much time and $ it would cost to paint your own mural.
I think if you do a google/froogle search you can find them cheaper at other online retailers.

Here's a link:

http://www.wallcandyarts.com/prod.htm

-Linda

ellies mom
10-16-2006, 11:51 AM
If you are looking for quotes, Wall Words has a ton of premade ones and they make custom orders as well.

http://www.wallwords.com/

dules
10-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Sorry for the hijack, but has anyone painted on their DC's walls (small things, think bugs or fairies) and if so, what kind of paint do you use?

TIA!

Mary

DAKnits
10-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the websites, I checked them out, and it's so overwhelming! Are there any IRL stores that carry these types of things? I don't remember seeing these at Michael's, and we don't have much in the way of art stores. I also don't know if the rub on stencils have a tendency of not fully rubbing off -- I just worry that I'll pull the transfer away from the wall, and it will be missing pieces of the picture. But, do the adhesives which are clearly easier to place, look like as "real" as the stencils? I really want it to look like real paint -- am I expecting too much?

katerinasmom
10-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Taking a risk and ordering online sight unseen (and from the site linked), I purchased these wall stickers for DD's big girl room.
http://www.create-a-mural.com/catalog/item/2675011/2143943.htm#image_1

They were super easy to put up and look absolutely gorgeous. I have had numerous relatives ask me if I painted the flowers until they look more closely to see that they are stickers. They are a little pricey but hopefully they will last because I really like the way the room came out - very girlie but I don't think she will outgrow the style for a long while. Now keep in mind the following - (1) the flower stickers I chose have a "watercolor" look to them so that may contribute to them looking more painted on than stickers and (2) they have been up only 4 months. We have not gone through all the seasons yet so I am hoping that I don't have stickers curling off the walls at the end of the winter as the steam heat fills her room. I am crossing my fingers because - again, I love the way her room turned out. Hope this helps.
-Jasmine