PDA

View Full Version : KETTLER --- Are Air Tires worth the extra $40.

Joohye
10-18-2006, 05:06 PM
I would like to buy a Kettler and I've narrowed it to Kettler Air Navigator, Kettler Happy Navigator and the Kettler Jumbo...

Has anyone tried both the air and non-air kettler and have you noticed a real difference enough to make it worth the $40. We will probably just use the trike for sidewalks, trails and playground with the occasional offroading but not a lot.

If not the air tires, then is the tri-steering on the Kettler Happy Navigator worth the extra $20 over the Jumbo considering they have similar features.

I would like to use the trike w/ the tandem option and am buying the trike for my 3 year old who's never owned a tricycle or bike of any kind before. I'd like to use it as a tandem trike so that my 20 month old can ride along w/ her brother since they like to do everything together and then when he outgrows it then she can take over the trike. I'm thinking that by 4 years (next summer) he'll be ready for a little bike w/ training wheels and by then my 20 month old will be about 2. 5 years old.

So anyone with the Jumbo regret not having the steering of the Happy, and anyone w/ the Jumbo or Happy regret not having the air tires of the Air Navigator?

I would totally just ditch all this and buy the Supertrike 4 but they only sell it at Toys RUS and I have a great gift certificate for Amazon that I want to use so I'm limited to the Kettler at Amazon.

ALSO.... Has anyone who is considering a Kettler right now notice that the Kettler Jumbo on Amazon is described as having the "comfy air tires" for 139.99. I've called them to see if this is a misprint or something and the guy said they only list what is given to them by the manufacturer. They also have another Jumbo called the Kettler Jumbo Color which does not have the air tire listing so I'm wondering if this might actually be a Jumbo that has air.

michlyn
11-02-2006, 11:53 PM
bumping as I'm interested in hearing any replies too

Tondi G
11-03-2006, 12:37 AM
We Have a Jumbo that we bought for our now 5 year old! Ours doesn't have the air tires and we have never missed them. In fact I am actually happy we got the trike without them. There is no issue with DS pulling the trike out to ride it only to find a tire flat that then has to be inflated before he can ride etc. The Air tires also tend to make the trikes heavier.... I think our Jumbo is heavy enough!

I know there was an AIR JUMBO available when we bought our regular Jumbo, so the Jumbo listed with air tires may be an Air Jumbo. That said we have the regular Jumbo and it has been used extensively by our 5 year old who is now too big for it and his 1.5 year old brother has enjoyed it now too. It still looks BRAND NEW! We love our Kettler Jumbo!

Good Luck with your purchase. I went around and around when choosing our Kettler and have been very happy with the Jumbo! One thing though is that I don't think the Jumbo will accomodate a second seat. Unless things have changed since we got ours there is another model with a different shaped frame I believe that accomodates the second add on seat! At the time we got ours we liked that the seat on the Jumbo was wider and overall larger than the other model offered (with our big boys it's a good thing we got the Jumbo!)

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

clc053103
11-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Hi! I am 'new' to Kettler, didn't try out the air tire but can at least give you a review of the one I did get- the OSA Edition Navigator:

first off- not easy to put together- apparently, this is a common gripe! It's not impossible but I am warning so if you are planning this as a "night before x mas assembly" item you allow plenty of time!

The OSA version does not have air tires- I dont think I miss them though- rides really nice as is, not too light weight. It does have the rear steering for when the adult uses the push bar and I really love that! It came with a basket, bell, and footrest for younger riders, which I use with my 15 mo old. I have to say- ds loves the bell best of all.

I haven't seen the tandem option either- but hopefully this bump will bring it to someone's attention who can give you some feedback!