PDA

View Full Version : Questions about stackable storage units from Company Kids and LON

inmypjs
10-18-2006, 08:40 PM
I am planning to order 2-3 stackable storage units from Company Kids or Land of Nod. I can't decide which to order and was hoping for some help from people that already have them.

Here is a summary of my comparison so far:

The dimensions both company's units are pretty much the same. The differences in features that I can see are the LON units have 2 or 3 compartments and no doors. The Company Kids units have 2 compartments only and the option of doors. In addition, the LON units are higher priced. The Company Kids units are shown stacked up to 3 high, but the LON ones are shown stacked only 2 high.

LON: http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=2883&f=897&pc=16
Company Kids: http://www.thecompanystore.com/parent.asp?product=xk08x&dept%5Fid=5301

I could go either way on doors or no doors. I would like the option of 3 compartments and more importantly I would like the ability to stack 3 high. I would get the honey or wood color.

Can anyone speak to the quality of the LON units? (Several recent posts say the quality of the Company Kids units is good, but I don't have any info on the LON ones.)

Also, how well do the stackable units in general hold books? I would like to use them for both books and toys.

Any other insights or info from current owners?

I'm also searching for coupon codes but haven't had any luck yet. Thanks in advance!

mamaecb
10-18-2006, 11:28 PM
We have one of the Land of Nod units. We're very happy with it. We have quite a bit of LON furniture and I think their overall quality is very good. We don't use it for books, but I guess you could. It wouldn't work as well as a traditional bookshelf (spines exposed), but you could get a bunch of books in there. I don't see any reason you couldn't stack them 3 high. They are quite heavy and sturdy.

Style-wise, I like the LON lines much better than Company Kids. But that's JMHO, of course. :)

If you are anywhere near LON stores (Chicago or Seattle), they are doing in-store only coupons right now -- 15% off your total purchase.

HTH,
Emilie, mama to Henry

holliam
10-19-2006, 06:57 AM
Agree with everything she said. Also, you can definitely stack the LON 3 high. We had it like that for a while but I didn't like it only because DD couldn't reach them and I didn't like the look where it was.

We 2 LON units in her room, both not stacked. She loves to use the top of them too. In our family room we have 3; 2 stacked and one not stacked. I am planning on getting a 4th for that room to stack.

HTH!

Holli

inmypjs
10-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Thank you, this is great info to know!

I also prefer the LON style, it looks like the wood is a little thicker and there is a little more trim on the edges.

I'm a little worried about the book thing though, since that is a lot of what I want to put in there. I like these since they can be reconfigured so many ways, but may need to look at a regular bookshelf as well.

I wish we lived near a store but we do not...

holliam
10-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Yea, I would not be happy using them for books. They would just get all jumbled. They are great for things like:

- playsilks
- duplos
- train tracks
- balls
- blocks

etc...

Holli

nupe
10-19-2006, 10:27 AM
The LON ones are definitely nicer, with trim, etc. I've seen both, and have the CK ones. I had to build my CK bins. I don't know about the LON ones. I use them on the ground, since DS might try to climb them!

I put my board books in fabric covered photoboxes with a velcro close, and stack them on top of the bins. The bigger books are also stacked on top for easy access. The favorite books are always out on the table.

Nupe

lhk777
10-19-2006, 10:45 AM
I have one of the LON 2 bin units just to try it out and it seems to be working well. They seem to hold a lot more than I thought they would.

As the PP's stated you can definitely stack them 3 high - I know that's how they have them at the LON Outlet sometimes. It comes assembled so you just have to take it out of the box. The quality is also pretty good from what I can tell.

As for books I wouldn't recommend it since they are a bit deep and they wouldn't stay upright.

I purchased a smaller scalloped unit from CK about a month ago - I think it is discontinued now - but it is basically the same idea but a smaller version which I use for books. They're stuff looks like it comes unassembled. I spent about an hour putting this little shelf together.

I have yet to hear anything bad about the LON storage units.

My friend has them and she said it's (3 bin) great for cleaning up since the kids think it's fun sorting the different types of toys in each bin.

I am definitely going to purchase a couple more.

-Linda

holliam
10-19-2006, 12:15 PM
One comment about how they arrive. When I bought our first set of the LON ones, they came pre-assembled and arrived in huge boxes. I just ordered my most recent ones about 2 months ago, and this time they came un-assembled. They look identical when set up though, maybe more screws, etc. in the un-assembled ones.

My guess is they realized they were spending a ton in shipping!

Holli

inmypjs
10-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the info! I think I would definitely go with the LON ones based on what has been said. I'm really bummed, though, because book storage is a must, so I think I'll have to hold off and do a new search for bookcases... Sigh :).

The problem I'm having is that the size of bookcase that I need now will be different in about a year or so when my son's crib comes out of the room. Right now we just have an area under a window, after the crib is out we'd have a regular wall space. That's why I thought these stackables would be so great - use one now and then add 1 or 2 more later.

I enjoy looking around for things like this but sometimes I wish I wasn't so obsessed with finding just the right thing!

mamaecb
10-19-2006, 02:40 PM
I know what you mean about the obsession! :) FWIW, I think that the LON units would work for TEMPORARY book storage. I don't know about your son, but my 15 month old just tears all the books off the bookshelf anyway, despite how hard we try to keep them lined up and organized. We have our books in the playroom on LON "bankable bookcases" and love them -- although I think it will be a few years before Henry appreciates the organization! :) So books tossed in a bin would have worked for the time being.

Emilie, mama to Henry